Crossing into US - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-20-2008, 10:44 AM   #15

Trailer: Surfside
Thanks Robin, you make a very good point and I'll keep that in mind as we cross the border.

Karolyn

Old 03-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #16

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Scamp
Ontario
I made the mistake 2 years ago loading up the cooler from the freezer and lost it all at the border, save for chicken (I don't think I would even try chicken this year). We are planning on another trip in September and plan on bringing very little food except maybe a few canned goods/packaged goods such as hot chocolate, coffee for the first night or 2. My firewood was ok on the way down and even tho it was from my own woodpile in the back of the house, the remainder was not ok to bring back, no firewood can be brought into Canada. We did not try to bring any meat or produce back and had shopped for the day or ate at truck stops (which is where we stayed over night along the way). Looking forward (depending on a few things) to our trip this year and a little wiser from our last trip. Actually did a route with Google Earth, we are going to almost retrace our trip from when we picked up the scamp in 2004, just hope it is not as nerve racking this time.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:19 PM   #17

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Enjoy your trip! R
Old 03-20-2008, 04:38 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
My firewood was ok on the way down and even tho it was from my own woodpile in the back of the house, the remainder was not ok to bring back, no firewood can be brought into Canada.
Folks traveling between the northern segment of Red Lake Indian Reservation in Minnesota and other parts of the US have the same problem. Read about a couple of guys getting stuck with a trailer-load of firewood they couldn't get across one of the borders.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:41 AM   #19

Just thought I'd report on our border crossing experience. It was really a non-issue. We crossed at Osoyoos and the guard took our passports, looked at the dog and said "he doesn't appear to be foaming at the mouth" then "what's in the trailer?" we answered "no fruit and veggies or meat" and he said "No, I mean you got any drugs in there?" We weren't sure if he was kidding or not but laughed anyway and he sent us on our way! He didn't even look at the Certificate of Vaccination for the dog.

Steamboat Rock was great! Only a handful of trailers and even a brave sole in a tent. We had a wild wind storm on Sunday night but it was a great first trip of the season! Our dog adjusted well too. He's new to us and a true camping dog. He ended up in our bed during the wind storm! Very cozy with a big lab/rotti sitting on your legs!

Crossing the border back into Canada, the guard did look at the Certificate of Vaccination but only asked if we bought anything in the US.

So no worries next time crossing the border!

Thanks again for all the information.

Karolyn
Old 03-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #20

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Just thought I'd report on our border crossing experience. It was really a non-issue. We crossed at Osoyoos and the guard took our passports, looked at the dog and said "he doesn't appear to be foaming at the mouth" then "what's in the trailer?" we answered "no fruit and veggies or meat" and he said "No, I mean you got any drugs in there?" We weren't sure if he was kidding or not but laughed anyway and he sent us on our way! He didn't even look at the Certificate of Vaccination for the dog.

Steamboat Rock was great! Only a handful of trailers and even a brave sole in a tent. We had a wild wind storm on Sunday night but it was a great first trip of the season! Our dog adjusted well too. He's new to us and a true camping dog. He ended up in our bed during the wind storm! Very cozy with a big lab/rotti sitting on your legs!

Crossing the border back into Canada, the guard did look at the Certificate of Vaccination but only asked if we bought anything in the US.

So no worries next time crossing the border!

Thanks again for all the information.

Karolyn
Yes- it was windy in our area last weekend.... Carrie and I swung by to see how you were doing, but missed you. Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Surfside.jpg  
Old 03-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #21

Larry, so sorry we missed you, it would have been great to hook up! We were out cruising the area and saw your El Camino! Very nice area!

Karolyn