Crossing Provincial Borders - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-23-2009, 10:23 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I am sure this has been covered before but the search engine is being belligerent for me.

Please point me to info on how to get a trailer across provincial borders. Do I register it before I pick it up, get temporary plates, need a mechanical inspection? I would be relocating the trailer to Ontario, so discussions that are for here would be best.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Chrs P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
this WILL be interesting. I have not yet been "north of the border".

Are there border crossing stations like for nations? I mean, down here, we just roll from one state to the next. California has an Agricultural Inspection station - but that is really just concerned with keeping bugs out. Otherwise nothing.
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #3

Quote:
this WILL be interesting. I have not yet been "north of the border".

Are there border crossing stations like for nations? I mean, down here, we just roll from one state to the next. California has an Agricultural Inspection station - but that is really just concerned with keeping bugs out. Otherwise nothing.
No, driving across borders here is the same as down there. You count down till you get to the sign and then try to be the first to shout "Welcome to Quebec!" beyond that, nothing.

The problem I would like to solve is how you buy a trailer in another province and then get it home and plated. If the trailer has no plates, you will be pulled over. I could try putting the plates from my boat trailer on it and hope I don't get caught, but thats risky.

I am hoping that other folks have done this and have some experience.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:16 PM   #4

Trailer: K Line (Trails West Camper clone)
Quote:
No, driving across borders here is the same as down there. You count down till you get to the sign and then try to be the first to shout "Welcome to Quebec!" beyond that, nothing.

The problem I would like to solve is how you buy a trailer in another province and then get it home and plated. If the trailer has no plates, you will be pulled over. I could try putting the plates from my boat trailer on it and hope I don't get caught, but thats risky.

Hey Chris,

I just did the trek from Manitoba to Ontario to pick up a trailer last week. It was pretty easy. Make sure you get a bill of sale, the province's current ownership record signed according to the paper. As for the plates, I had to borrow my friend's plates to put on my trailer. My friend ended up coming with me. Just don't do anything crazy while driving with the trailer.

The other thing you can do, is have the current owner keep their plates on if the trailer is still insured and then mail them back. That has been done before.

Good luck.
Charles Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Quote:

If you get stopped can you just show the bill of sale and be on your way? That's how it usually works down here. I put my old Burro plates on the new one ( 13' registration 17' new trailer) only for the tolls, as my plates are registered with the toll authority. Slightly risky, not sure if anyone could tell 13 from 17. Of course when I got home I registered the 17 and transferred the plates to the 17 foot 80 dollars total thank you. I just love Illinois.

Anyway if you think there may be a problem you should talk to the perspective DMV's to get the straight dope.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
To do it legally go to the vehicle registration office for the province and purhcase a temporary transit permit for the number of days you will be traveling. Very simple.
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:19 PM   #7

Quote:
To do it legally go to the vehicle registration office for the province and purhcase a temporary transit permit for the number of days you will be traveling. Very simple.

I figured it would be something like this. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
If the trailer has no plates, you will be pulled over. I could try putting the plates from my boat trailer on it and hope I don't get caught, but thats risky.

My understanding is that in ON registration is plate to owner. If you have a bill of sale less than 7 days (or the current amount of time you have to transfer ownership) that you can use your existing plates off a trailer if you have the plates and the registration for the trailer you currently own and use them on the trailer you are towing. All 5 should match, trailer with vin matching bill of sale and previous signed registration transfering ownership to you, and the registration for the plate you are using.

I did this bringing my trailer back from the USA. I never got pulled over because I never gave them a reason to. I may be wrong on this though. But there is a saying that goes something like:
It is often easier to seek forgiveness that it is to seek permission.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:41 PM   #9

I bought my boler out of province. I sent the money down to the sellers ahead of time, and had them mail me a bill of sale. Then I went and picked up a plate using the bill of sale, and brought it down with me... seems pretty simple.
Michelle A is offline   Reply With Quote