Crucified by No See Ums - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2009, 02:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
This weekend we camped in a spot we've been camping in for over 10 years. It was the first time we got into the No See Ums. I did a bit of research and found they can go through ordinary door and window screens. I'm looking for ideas on how to replace the screens with a finer mesh. How would that work with the Fantastic Fan? How can I keep the little beggars away from my camp site? Any thoughts appreciated.
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 1994 Lite House
just use a fan and a bug spray with high deet content. no see um are so small that a decent breeze prevents them from flying. I would just get a little 12v fan and spray deet bug spray on my screens. you should be fine.
curtis c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:00 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Skin-So-Soft by Avon works for no see ums. That is, if you can stand the sweet smell.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Escape
If you go to a glass shop they can re-screen your existing frames with No-See-Um screen
it has a 20 X 20 grid pattern (mesh size). We use it at our shop all the time and it keeps all
the little buggers out.....
Doug P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
You can also take Oil of Bay leaf and dab on a rag and wipe the screens and frames, they don't like the smell and will stay away it also keeps other flying things away. I recently got an email that said spraying Listerine Mouth Wash around your campsite would keep skeeters away, haven't tried it so don't know but if it will keep skeeters away I would think it would keep no see um's.

My question is, is why are they called "no see um's" when you really can see them? Makes no sense to me!
Attached Images

Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Since I don't run into no-see-ums too often, and since the screening that keeps them out makes for quite a bit less airflow compared to a regular screen, I'm going to try a temporary installation. That is, I'm going to keep the regular screen on the windows, and then simply add no-see-um netting when I need it.

I happened to have an old tent with no-see-um netting windows that I salvaged prior to jettisoning the tent, but you can also buy the netting new.

I cut panels of the netting that were a few inches larger all-around than my windows, then made a length of shock cord into a loop with a diameter somewhat smaller than the overall size of the window frame. My plan is to spread the netting out across the window, on the inside, then put the "ring" of shock cord around the frame, thereby stretching the netting taught and holding it in place. Something like an embroidery hoop wherein the netting is the fabric and the window frame and the shock cord are the "hoops."

If this works well, I may permanently sew the shock cord into channels I sew into the netting, something like a big shower cap.

Note that I happen to have the square cornered jalousie windows in my Boler, and they protrude an inch or so into the camper, so I have a lip to work with.

I'll probably try it out later this week, as the no-see-ums are out.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:58 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
My plan is to spread the netting out across the window, on the inside, then put the "ring" of shock cord around the frame, thereby stretching the netting taught and holding it in place. Something like an embroidery hoop wherein the netting is the fabric and the window frame and the shock cord are the "hoops."
Raya
Interesting idea, hope it works! hummm wonder if it might be better though to do it on the outside? Otherwise you may end up with all the No See Ums trapped between the two screens. You wouldn't want to take that inner screen off until they were dead... then that may make a mess inside the trailer. Course you could always hope they figure out a way to just fly away!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:51 AM   #9

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Donna,

In my case, I don't have a protruding "rim" on the outside. Also, the jalousie windows open out, so the netting would have to be really baggy in order to allow the windows to open, if it were on the outside.

I have a feeling that trapped no-see-ums won't be a problem, as they are really very small, and don't make noise (like trapped mosquitoes do!). I imagine they will wander back out through the "big" screen when they are sick of trying to break through the fine mesh netting.

I also want to be able to just pop them on from inside when required. They block enough airflow that I don't really want them on all the time (or else I would just replace my regular screening with them). This way (if it works), I'll just be able to open windows as usual, then if I notice no-see-ums, put the extra screens up without going outside.

I also recently had a batch of the gnats that come in towards the light, but that don't bite or anything. They left a lot of carcasses though! I hope this will take care of that problem as well.

But... I'll let you know how it goes. It's certainly going to be easy and cheap enough to try, as I already have the materials on hand.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Hi Donna,

In my case, I don't have a protruding "rim" on the outside. Also, the jalousie windows open out, so the netting would have to be really baggy in order to allow the windows to open, if it were on the outside.

But... I'll let you know how it goes. It's certainly going to be easy and cheap enough to try, as I already have the materials on hand.

Raya
That's an ugly visual... droopy diaper look So I see your point. Yes please, post the results... lots of members have problems with small bugs. I'm glad I live in Oregon... slugs don't fly!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote