Curious about the step up on some trailers - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-01-2015, 12:38 PM   #15

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Yep I went off track, sorry about that as u folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
My trailer is about 13' and starts with an "S," and the furnace is recessed in a cabinet. There is nothing to trip over anywhere in the trailer unless you put it there yourself. All of the raised sections of the floor are under the table, benches, or cabinets...

and I'm with those who are wondering what the point is here?

If the step-up or drop-floor design bothers you, there are numerous options that have a flat floor, Lil Bigfoot being among the best.

For myself, I wouldn't reject drop-floor designs until I had experienced one. In everyday use, you don't even notice the variation in floor level. The resulting low step-in height of the 13'ers is nice if you have children, small pets, or mobility impairment (whether age or alcohol induced).
: don't know much about canned Ham trailers. I think it was a Scotty with the furnace in the middle of the floor but getting back to the raised floor I want to thank everyone who gave the reason for it as I did not know about it before and I know very little about FG Trailers other than the BigFoot Models as I owned a 1986 17' Bigfoot for a few years, I also know about the company because they are built in Armstrong, BC about 300 miles north of me.
Stude

Old 12-01-2015, 10:18 PM   #16

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
Below the table area why is it there or is that the water storage area?
Others have chimed in : ) here is another example of water-storage under the "Step up"... in Parkliners. There is 6'4" before the step, and 5'10" on the step. 30 gallons of grey water under foot back there.

YMMV,
Thom

Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:00 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Thom, being a recent design, leaving room for the grey tank may be one reason Parkliner kept the raised dinette floor feature. But if that were the only reason, why didn't they raise the whole floor, as sticky manufacturers do? Or, for that matter, as Bigfoot, Oliver, and Casita (17' models) do? It's simpler and stronger to build a frame without variations in floor height. And the only answer I can think of is to maintain headroom while lowering the towing profile. And that is the same reason Boler did it that way in the 60's, when "grey water systems" consisted of buckets outside the trailer.

I'm probably splitting hairs here... but I don't think the step-up exists because of the water tanks (which the OP's question suggested). It exists to minimize the height of the trailer. However, given a step-up or drop-floor design, the raised floor at the back follows as the only feasible place to mount an external grey tank.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:36 AM   #18

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Now that is a nice clean unit,

Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
Others have chimed in : ) here is another example of water-storage under the "Step up"... in Parkliners. There is 6'4" before the step, and 5'10" on the step. 30 gallons of grey water under foot back there.

YMMV,
Thom
Where do they hide the Water tank? and if there is a black water tank where is it? I prefer using a Porta-Pottie as much easier to unload it just about any Service station wash room, or Pit toilet, places like that are free but camp grounds want to much for 5 gallons of Crap!
Stude
Old 12-04-2015, 09:31 AM   #19

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
Where do they hide the Water tank? and if there is a black water tank where is it?..
: )
The fresh water tank is located under (in #35 PL custom plan) the curb side rear bench. Stock plan the same (15 gal) tank is under the street side rear bench. We chose the curb side as we could also have the fresh water fill in camp/camp side as we often utilize a gravity filter to pre-filter water from river into tank and wanted to have ready access to it all on that side of camp.

No black tank #35 PL's case...or any PL owner's actually. The single 30 gal grey would turn into a multi-purpose grey/black for those who ordered the rig with the SeaLand macerating toilet in forward shower/head area...we chose to go the porta pottie route also. There is a cabinet in the forward shower/head room that the PP slides into out of the way.

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:46 AM   #20

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
The PL has a reverse trolly top which makes the center top about 4" lower in relation to the shell as compaired to the Scamp and Casita raised trolly tops. PL is a fairly tall trailer with good head room as it is. If the floor was raised 3" it may make the trailer top heavy. Also the orig. PL design did not include a rooftop A/C which adds to total heigth. Another reason for the raised rear floor is to increase the angle of departure for the rear end. I know 17 Bigfoots (At least the one I viewed.) have clearance issues with the dropped axle and flat floors.