CW has one day special-free shipping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
CW has one day special-free shipping

and clear propane tanks on sale , here is link for tank
Lite Cylinder Company - Lite Cylinders Propane Cylinders- 25 lb., White - Propane Cylinders - Camping World
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Jim, thank you for good tip.

I have two 30lb steel tanks on my Bigfoot. Placing them into fiberglass cover is backbreaking so I am tempted. These tanks are DOT approved so filling them should not be an issue in any state.
Is there anyone aware of re-certification or life limitation issues with these fiberglass tanks?

George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #3

Pennsylvania
Registry
I had them on my other trailer, had no issues in getting them filled. I think they may even be pre-purged- saves $5
Old 10-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #4

I called manufacturer and verified that these tanks are indeed pre-purged. I was told that 20lb tanks are approved for USA/Canada but 25lb tanks are approved for US only. CW states that both are approved for US/Canada. I trust manufacturer and filling 25lb tanks in Canada could be questionable.
The Lite Cylinder - Revolutionary Propane Cylinders > Products > Details
George.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
I believe the tanks have a predetermined lifespan, and cannot be tested or recertified. At least, that's what we were told when we bought ours several years ago for our boat.
They are lighter, and taller. They will not fit in many places that a 20# steel tank will fit, so some retrofitting may be necessary.
For the purpose, they're wonderful.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryNPaul View Post
I believe the tanks have a predetermined lifespan, and cannot be tested or recertified. At least, that's what we were told when we bought ours several years ago for our boat.
They are lighter, and taller. They will not fit in many places that a 20# steel tank will fit, so some retrofitting may be necessary.
For the purpose, they're wonderful.
Sherry
The company's website states the lifespan is 15 years and they can be recertified every 5 years if necessary.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #7

I just ordered two 25lb tanks. So, next project of mount modification is coming up. External dimensions are similar to 30lb steel tanks but footprint is larger. The upper holding bracket will likely have to be modified.
George.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:33 PM   #8

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
I ordered a 20# tank from CW and received it today. I already got it filled. The kid who filled it said they've seen a few of them. Probably has to do with this being a big boating area.

It's really cool being able to see the propane level. It will also shave a few pounds off the tongue weight.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Being able to see the propane instead of judging via idiot guages or "arm guage" is a big plus. Lighter, no rust. Even with a pre-determined life, as ours were given, they'll outlast may standard tanks in our humid, wet area. They were an obvious choice for the boat, even with a little retrofitting for the hold-downs.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
This year I switched to the Fiberglass propane tanks and posted my project to one of the three trailer boards (FGRV, and two Casita boards). The tanks are a little larger in diameter, but all I had to do was split the plastic tanks cover and trim the bottom of both halves right at the point where they curved in about a half an inch. I used rivnuts to replace the pop rivets, and it worked perfectly! However, I did have to create a new tank clamp to hold the tanks on the tongue, because the loss of that 2 inch bottom of the cover made the cover top almost touching the top of the tanks.

I don't remember which board I posted my solution and photos on. One of the photos showed the modified tank clamp.

Mike Price
Mike Price is offline   Reply With Quote