Day 254 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Day 254

This is our 254th day of this trip that began last November. We have given close to 100 tours of our Scamp since we brought it home in May of 2011. The most common question, even by other Fiberglass trailer owners, deals with space. Not storage space, because most think we have enough, particularly other small trailer owners, but space apart from each other. "What do you do when you NEED space apart?"

It's an interesting question because in this year's travel there has not been a day when either of us has felt that way. Part of the reason is because we have the space of where ever we are. In the good weather we are always out exploring, surrounded by a very stimulating world. For a simple example, we collected Pumice for our nieces and nephews, all school age, yesterday to mail home. Last night we floated a piece in a bowl for our own amusement and learning.

It's easy to be stimulated by stones and Lava after visiting Crater Lake.

Ginny and I were talking about the space issue, particularly "the rainy or grumpy day space". We decided that each of us has a massive personal space, our brains that allow all kinds of indepenc=dent wandering. WHile independent wandering is fun, later it often becomes shared wandering, creating a further mingling of our lives, improving our oneness.

As well for rainy days, we always have our computers, nooks, TV and the internet.

Our trailer is not too small for us. Actually it has further opened our world and created many new and shared spaces. When we can no longer travel about as we do now, we can always just say Crater Lake and we'll both smile...probably for days.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #2

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Sounds to me you have found the secret many married couples miss.
You not only love each other deeply but more importantly you are best friends.

John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #3

Florida
Thanks. The concept of friends first is important.

Of course I was trying to get across all "the space within".

Ginny and I came from different backgrounds and different educations which is nice because we can live in our own inner worlds and share knowledge with each other.

I think your thought is really good. Seek friendship with each other as you travel.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Nice, thought provoking post, Norm. Thanks for sharing.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:01 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: honda03842...I never made a lot of friends in my life...saved the best for last... My WIFE of 40 yrs!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:10 AM   #6

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
My wife & I will have been together for 49 years next month. She almost immediately became my best friend and she still is. We sometimes have short periods of time (a couple of hours) apart but we don't really NEED it.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #7

Florida
ALfred and Bob and Grace,

One of the best aspects of RVing is all the nice people you meet. It turns out that RV couples actually like each other. I think culture is a big deal and there is an RV culture.

One of the magic aspects of long range RVing is all the time you spend together, much more than during your working lives. It really provides the opportunity to grow your friendship. This may seem a little strange to say with couples approaching 50 years of relationship, yet it's true that there's always opportunity for growth.

Yesterday on a Rogue RIver hike we walked pass two equal diameter trees. One was a towering speciman another a stump about 3 feet tall. The bark of the stump had fully grown over it's cut-off top. Other than that is was a fully sound stump. How was it surviving?

As these two trees were growing their root systems had grown together, united as one and though the stump did not have a single leaf for norishment, it was nourished by it's "root partner".

Oregon's Natural Bridge was wonderful, the stump and it's partner amazing.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #8

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
That's GREAT Norm!

My wife and I have been married for almost 43 years and she is the BEST wife and vacation person I could have ever hoped for.
Have a great weekend everyone!
Lew
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #9

Florida
I once had to emcee a surprise 50th wedding anniversary party for a couple of RV freinds. All the attendees were RVers.

The US percentage of people who make it to their 50th is only 5%. The percentage among the about 50 RVing couples in attendance was closer to 15%.

Is it the relaxed traveling that takes you away from the worries of home and friends? Is it knowing that it's the two of you embracing a singular way?

Its so calm tonight, deer have walked up to the pear tree I'm sitting under tonight and nibbled its leaves, truly unconcerned by the people in the park. Jack rabbits, rare to us easterners, hop about occasionally engaging in a hop filled, almost laugh-out-loud funny, rabbit rumble.

It gives me pause to think what life was before we hit the road and before we shed our stress filled lives; formerly carrying the worry of work and the continuous concern for others regularly sharing their own stress.

My doctor now says to his other stress-disease bound patients.... "buy an RV and hit the road", frequently adding, "losing 10 pounds would hurt either". (After 11 years of Rving last year was the first year he didn't tell me to lose 10 pounds.)

I might add to our Doctor's words, "like your partner more. be kinder to each other".

From marvelous Oregon...

Though our world sometimes seems a misled mess, though many people are suffering in the country with unemployment, we continue on, partially knowing we really need little for happiness.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #10

Florida
The Stump

I found a picture of the "stump and it's partner tree".

Yesterday on a Rogue RIver hike we walked pass two equal diameter trees. One was a towering speciman another a stump about 3 feet tall. The bark of the stump had fully grown over it's cut-off top. Other than that is was a fully sound stump. How was it surviving?

As these two trees were growing their root systems had grown together, united as one and though the stump did not have a single leaf for norishment, it was nourished by it's "root partner".

Worth pondering....
Attached Thumbnails
Stump.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: honda03842..."How was it surviving"? I'm stumped!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:24 PM   #12

Florida
ALf,

Humor aside, I'm amazed how well the stump healed. Normally you don't see this even on a tree where it's own branch is cut.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-31-2012, 08:27 PM   #13

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
This is our 254th day of this trip that began last November. We have given close to 100 tours of our Scamp since we brought it home in May of 2011.
I have a similar challenge so I'm really curious, how many? have you kept a guest book? That'd be cool.
mike_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #14

Florida
Michael,

We haven't kept a guest book but should have. We do keep a computer list of people who stop by and ask for a tour. If I owned Scamp I'd be encouraging owners to keep a guest book, heck I'd give them a book to keep neames and addresses in.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #15

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
It's great hearing from your journeys. Each time my wife and I go on a trailer trip, we come back rested and invigorated. Can't wait to join your lifestyle full time. It's always nice reading something positive, and you guys were fantastic to talk to at the NOG.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
When I was growing up 40-50-60 year marriages were common now they seem to be a rarity . My wife and I will celebrate 42 years in August . I think Norm and Ginny display the attitude that makes it possible to stay married and to stay best friends for life. I hope to make it to our 70th anniversary just like my grand parents did, I hope others with the same dream are all successful.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #17

Florida
Steven,

Congratulations. 70 years would be great. We'll be at 48 this month.

Enjoy each day, no matter the number. Our travels have been so marvelous, even if had to stop I would feel truly blessed.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Congratulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Steven,

Congratulations. 70 years would be great. We'll be at 48 this month.

Enjoy each day, no matter the number. Our travels have been so marvelous, even if had to stop I would feel truly blessed.
Happy 48th Anniversary and I hope I am able to wish you Happy Anniversary on your 70th "God Willing"
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #19

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Congratulations and Happy 48th Anniversary! We'll be celebrating our 43rd this December and, aside from a six week trip to Texas and ten days near Quebec City, are new to ultralight trailers. Really enjoyed reading about your travels. (So much to learn from others who so generously share their knowledge.) God bless.
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote