Day and Night Blinds, your opinion wanted! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-19-2008, 03:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita
The new to us Casita, has the standard blinds (I hate them!) And was thinking I would order Day and Night, but then after each and every trip we have taken this summer, I clean the metal/plastic blinds and I am starting to think that a fabric blind would get just as dusty and be harder to keep clean....... Any opinions? Thanks Robin

I have also thought of just putting curtains in ( I can throw them in the wash, whenever I want to) Also thought of having the windows professionally tinted so that I don't need any window coverings. Pros'/Con's
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Quote:
The new to us Casita, has the standard blinds (I hate them!) And was thinking I would order Day and Night, but then after each and every trip we have taken this summer, I clean the metal/plastic blinds and I am starting to think that a fabric blind would get just as dusty and be harder to keep clean....... Any opinions? Thanks Robin

I have also thought of just putting curtains in ( I can throw them in the wash, whenever I want to) Also thought of having the windows professionally tinted so that I don't need any window coverings. Pros'/Con's
We ended up really cheaply on our labor day excursion. We had no curtains for most of our windows, three being tinted, didn't think that it would be a problem...oh were we wrong....big picture window, lighted trailer....can you say!!! "Oh my Gosh!!! Drop down, QUICK!!! all is seen....none is hidden...GASP!!! Glad it was my husband...

We went to Wal-mart, bought 6 yards of really cheap material that matched our sheets...and Voila!! Draped 'em over the curtain rods, and had an easy on, easy off (for towing back) solution for the windows. Love to be able to look right thru the trailer. Cost me less than $12. (And the color matched! )

Pam
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:48 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I love the Day and Night blinds. Best thing since sliced bread imho.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:17 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (Previously 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel)
I have day and night blinds in my Bigfoot RV and I really like them. If they seem too dusty, I give them a once over with the wand on my vacuum.
Karen T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:50 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I had standard blinds in my Compact Jr. and I did not like the noise they made in the wind.

I have 3 window treatments in the Fiber Stream:
  1. Tinted film on the glass
  2. Pleated Shades
  3. Fabric Curtains

Link to previous post about window treatments.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

A thing we had on the boat we used to have was plastic sheet cut to fit in the window so that persons couldn't see inside the boat in port. Of course this would prevent air from entering, but with a roof vent and it not being too hot, I think it would work. They also could be hinged at the bottom.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:54 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Someone needs to be the Devil's Advocate... may as well be me.

Tinted windows are great where the sun shines "hot" a lot. But, it merely means no one can see inside during the day (brighter outside than in). However, at night... without window coverings you are displaying a "window to the world" because now it's brighter inside than out. (Think Naked Show)

Roman shades, pull-aside curtains, day-night shades, etc. all are great for blocking sunlight... and the view. You can see out when fully open, but cannot see out when closed. Here in the Pacific NorthWET, we have clouds more than sun and by gosh I want to see out as much as possible.

Metal mini-blinds rattle and make noise, the downside. The upside, you can crank them slight open and still see out. How to keep them from rattling and banging when you accidentally hit them while sitting at the table or at night when trying to sleep. Perhaps padding the area around the window frame where the blind touches the window may help? Or instead of metal blinds, installing ones made out of PVC or real wood? Below is a picture of another method to keep the blinds hugging the side of the trailer and MAY help with the noise factor.

Everything has trade offs. See out, block the light... what is important to you?

PS: I'm not sure where I got this picture. Is it yours? Hope you don't mind me posting it!
Attached Thumbnails
WindowBlinds_01.jpg  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Think Naked Show............. LOL Donna, I Think Not!

Actually I don't know if our blinds rattle when in tow, cause I am not back there. I just don't like the noise as you said Donna when you smack em in the middle of the night or if the windows open and the wind is blowing. Then one little thing smacks them and theres a black mark. Won't even get into the slightly bent dent in one when I didn't get the blinds put properly into the strap for a trip. I was almost ready to rip them off the windows about 200 miles into our first trip.

Donna, Our Class A had the same wood frame type things on it's windows. Now I did like those. Looks like someone customized theirs. Thanks for the pic. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:11 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
PS: I'm not sure where I got this picture. Is it yours? Hope you don't mind me posting it!
I know, I know!!!! It's the beautiful work of HaroldB!

Carolyn Paterson recently asked "how do you know you're hooked?" For me it's when I recognize someone's trailer that I don't even know!

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:51 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I know, I know!!!! It's the beautiful work of HaroldB!

Carolyn Paterson recently asked "how do you know you're hooked?" For me it's when I recognize someone's trailer that I don't even know!

Jeanne
Thanks Jeanne, I hope HaroldB doesn't mind me posting his pic. I have a tendency to snag things I really like with the hopes someday I may have the time/energy to make the mod myself. I suppose it would be nice to change the name of the pic to the person's name, then I'd know who it belong to and who to thank.

BTW: I'm thinking seriously of doing something similar in my Scamp... but, I want natural wood blinds.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote