Day trip to hunt the Unicorn - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-11-2008, 08:14 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My better half and I are going to make a day trip to Quartzite tomorrow in search of the mythical Oliver that is reputed to be there. It is rumored to be be grazing in the vicinity of the Pilot station on the service road. We are hoping that once we get closer to the location we might be lucky enough the find a local that will be able to direct us towards this location. Any FGRV'ers that may know of this location: I would be most appreciative of any input you can provide.

I have also been corresponding with one of the forum members who might be out at Dome Rock tomorrow, depending on personal issues, that I hope to meet up with. We have been offered an inspection tour of this members egg. I'm hoping that comes to pass as the DW and I have not, as of yet, had the chance to see any of these eggs in person, and are looking forward to it. As friendly as all the Egg Campers are, I'm still a little reticent of just driving into the campground and asking a random stranger to see their trailer. (It seems a little pushy to me.) But we will see, as this is a bit of a grand expedition, maybe normal etiquette doesn't apply?

Any FGRV'ers that are already set up out at Dome Rock: If you see a BOBB (Big Ol' Burgundy Beast) Tahoe crusing around the campground slowly, we're not casing the joint, just trying to get a look at the Eggs. The Tahoe may growl, but she doen't bite.
MillerK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I'm still a little reticent of just driving into the campground and asking a random stranger to see their trailer. (It seems a little pushy to me.) But we will see, as this is a bit of a grand expedition, maybe normal etiquette doesn't apply?
Miller, I've had some of the most interesting approaches for "tours" as you can imagine. I even gave one to a couple of Harley riders at a gas station one time. For some reason, these things attract attention and most of us are used to it. IF you happen upon a group of them (like at a gathering) you may get more tours than you want. Sometimes, they even have open house so you can get ideas from other campers. It's really the best place to see various types and stles of fiberglass rvs.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
As friendly as all the Egg Campers are, I'm still a little reticent of just driving into the campground and asking a random stranger to see their trailer. (It seems a little pushy to me.) But we will see, as this is a bit of a grand expedition, maybe normal etiquette doesn't apply?

Any FGRV'ers that are already set up out at Dome Rock: If you see a BOBB (Big Ol' Burgundy Beast) Tahoe crusing around the campground slowly, we're not casing the joint, just trying to get a look at the Eggs. The Tahoe may growl, but she doen't bite.
Miller,
Quartzite is a very small town. The Pilot station will be very obvious.
Most of the camping that is occurring around Quartzite is on BLM land and not formal campgrounds per se. The winter snowbird RV crowd made it sort of a happening place about ten years ago when the campgrounds around Phoenix got too expensive. Most of the trailers will be out away from town and gather on open BLM land in sort of a gypsy fashion. They usually publish their GPS coordinates so the folks in their group can find where they've set up camp. This will be the case at the Dome Rock area as well. If you've never seen the RV phenomenon around Quartzite in Jan-April then it will be quite an experience for you. There is also an RV show that I believe has started and you'll see a huge tent where it is going on. Good luck in your Oliver quest and let us know what you think about it.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:09 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
Hi Miller
Having a small FG trailer is like walking a cute little dog. Everyone stops you to comment on it. We took a trip across the prairies and at just about every campground we were asked to show the trailer off. One person even stopped me and asked BEFORE I got the thing parked. It goes with the territory. Take it as a compliment and chock up another friend well met. You didn't just buy a trailer, you bought into a way of life.
Jim
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:43 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Found it. There are three of them parked on the south side of the tent just about even with the Pilot station. They are not on the same side of the freeway as the Pilot station, they are on the opposite, south, side in the same little lot that was hosting the Gem Show. The company rep that is there with the trailers, living in one of the three on display, is a gregarious, outgoing, downhome kind of guy named Billy Gibson. He's alright. Pretty damn funny too.

Found the Egg group on the BLM land also. The wagons were circled and ready to hold off any midnight attackers. But when we went by there, around 1530 it appeared no one was home. Locked up tight and deserted. Do I offend? I had really hoped to be able to compare and contrast the Oliver to the other trailers while it was fresh in my mind. Guess the DW and I will need to make another trip when everyone is there for the gathering.

We left Quartzite around 1730 and about ten miles west of town we saw a fiberglass trailer, (Trillium, possibly), being towed by a burgundy pickup headed towards town. I was wondering if that was anyone from here?

I'll write a more detailed post later. Gotta go back to watching footbal. WTG Chargers!!
MillerK is offline   Reply With Quote