Deal Alert:Cheap TV-$79.00 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-11-2011, 07:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Deal Alert:Cheap TV-$79.00

I saw this today in a Frys ad they sent me. It is $79.00 for a 15" LCD. HDMI and Digital tuner,Vesa Mount,VGA computer input,Low Power Draw but don't know if it runs on 12vdc,LED Backlight.

Sounds tough to beat but I know nothing else about it.

FRYS.com*|*COBY

Seems worth investigating though.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Reviews at Amazon
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Coby LEDTV1926 19-Inch 720p LCD TV
Name:   6554223.big.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  10.1 KB
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:36 AM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Very good price! I was up last night looking at TVs in fact. Most all of these smaller TVs suffer from poor sound quality. I have a Sharp 19" in my cabin that has a great picture, but I attached speakers to it too. The Cobies generally haven't gotten high reviews for quality from what I saw, but for $79 it's not a bad risk.
David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
One of the disadvantages of living in the East, virtually no Frys, definitely an electronic wonder.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #5

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
They ship.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #6

Florida
They do ship but they also have many 'instore only' deals. What I like best is just walking around, so much stuff. Last trip west I picked up a volt meter for $20 that I've had for 3 years that's smaller than an Iphone and as well built.

Fortunately in our loop this year we'll be near tons of stores.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Too bad it is not 12 volt.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #8

I have a feeling it is such a low current draw that it should not be too bad thru in inverter.

I have probably installed a dozen or so of this brand but not this exact model,mainly in Kitchens and Bathrooms and have not had any die yet.

Coby is maybe the most recognized of the 4th tier Chinese junk sold here and I think Casita sells a Coby as the TV option from the factory?

Clearly not a great TV but for $79.00 to install in a somewhat hostile environment this one seems tough to beat I think.

I imagine in 2 weeks we will see new low price points everywhere,a least I hope so.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #9

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
I have a feeling it is such a low current draw that it should not be too bad thru in inverter.

I have probably installed a dozen or so of this brand but not this exact model,mainly in Kitchens and Bathrooms and have not had any die yet.

Coby is maybe the most recognized of the 4th tier Chinese junk sold here and I think Casita sells a Coby as the TV option from the factory?

Clearly not a great TV but for $79.00 to install in a somewhat hostile environment this one seems tough to beat I think.

I imagine in 2 weeks we will see new low price points everywhere,a least I hope so.
Many of these little TVs are 12v and come with a power supply cord to plug into 110V. Even if they don't, they draw between 25 and 40 watts. That is pretty easily handled by even the smallest inverters.

You bring up a question I have wanted to ask Ed. Do these household TVs survive in a camp trailer? Vibration, freezing, moisture, heat, shock? The marine type TVs that supposedly are built for all that cost twice as much. Obviously people are using the regular units, but I wonder how hard? Any comments from anyone?
David
Old 11-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #10

Florida
Inverter and Home TVS

I was in Home Depot today and for one of their Christmas specials they have a 100 watt cigarette lighter Inverter for $9.88, the lowest price I've ever seen.

As to home TVs in RVs, we've hade the same 15 inch LCD TV for 7 years. For the first three years it was mounted to the bedroom wall of our motorhome, for the last four years it's traveled in our trailers. It has worked perfectly fine and easily runs off a 100 watt cigarette lighter inverter. We see nor hear any interference from the non-sine wave inverters.

Our TV is a Sylvania.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
Many of these little TVs are 12v and come with a power supply cord to plug into 110V. Even if they don't, they draw between 25 and 40 watts. That is pretty easily handled by even the smallest inverters.

You bring up a question I have wanted to ask Ed. Do these household TVs survive in a camp trailer? Vibration, freezing, moisture, heat, shock? The marine type TVs that supposedly are built for all that cost twice as much. Obviously people are using the regular units, but I wonder how hard? Any comments from anyone?
David
I have found that they seem up to the task.
There is not too much inside these right now really.

Older CRT based TV's were fairly rugged too it seems and these new ones are so simple inside there is not too much that goes wrong from my experience.

The LCD panels seem easily more rugged than any CRT except for sharp objects thru the screen itself.
The Backlights are driven either with CCFL tubes or LED's both of which are fairly bulletproof.

The electronics driving it all is reduced to 1 or 2 boards inside and they now weigh from 5-12 lbs too so there is little inertia inflicting damage from having them hanging.

I have seen very few smaller sized units go out since they have been mainstream products and I imagine I see more of these day to day than everyone else here combined?

Bad for service calls but good as an owner.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #12

Arizona
Good info guys, thanks. Norm, you answered another question before I asked it . I have both true sine wave and modified sine wave inverters. I usually reserve the true sine for electronics, but if the TVs like the modifed signal, so much the better.
David