Dealers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
How do you get started ? I have been looking at dealers in the Chicago area, for a new or used 16footer. Can't find any one who has any to sell or who knows any other dealers who do. I would be traveling buy my self, and would like a little used one. any Ideas? I only can travel a couple hours to find one. BEttyS
Betty Sadlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
Hi, Betty, and welcome. Try checking the "trailers for sale" areas on the various sites like this one. Dealers aren't the way to go, IMO. Good luck!
Robert Brummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:15 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Bigfoot has a dealer network, but they are few and far between. I am not sure anyone else does.

For new, they are factory order.. Scamp would be closest to you, I think..unless one in Canada might be, and you pick up or pay for delivery.

Using our for sale section is a great way to go, as well as eBay and Craigs list, small local papers etc. Used ones are almost always from private sellers.

ONCE in awhile you see one as a trade in at a dealer, but I wouldn't count on finding one on purpose. Those are generally "stumbled into" by accident.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:23 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
I think you’ll find that these trailers sell so fast that most dealers don’t get a chance at them. Plus they hold their value so well, dealers don’t want to pay what they are going for.

I believe MOST of the new ones are sold directly from the manufacturer. That does seem to be changing a little bit though. I couple of the current manufacturers are selling through dealers.

Like I told my Mother-in-law, get your money ready, because they go fast and you need to be ready. When they found theirs, it had only been posted for 30 minutes. We were the first to offer and by the time we had sent the deposit, it had 3 additional offers that day for more money. It was a well cared for 8 year old trailer at a very good price so we jumped on it.

My in-laws still have it and love it.

Good luck finding your trailer,
Mike
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:29 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
Had one enterprising chap nock at the door and leave a card and would I call his No. if I heard of one for sale. He went to every door where he saw a Fiberglass trailer on the property. And yes someone did call him later that year.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Educate yourself first!! Then think of it as a scavenger hunt. We were stopped at some road construction and behind us was our future 13' Burro, I jumped out to asked about it and the guy said it was for sale. That was 10 years ago and we were naive and ended up with some problems (leaks) but the point is just ask when you see one, never know who might be ready to sell. But first read everything you can on this site to educate yourself. Now if we could just find our second one that easily...........

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 03:02 PM   #7

Quote:
[b]Educate yourself first!! Then think of it as a scavenger hunt. We were stopped at some road construction and behind us was our future 13' Burro, I jumped out to asked about it and the guy said it was for sale. That was 10 years ago and we were naive and ended up with some problems (leaks) but the point is just ask when you see one, never know who might be ready to sell. But first read everything you can on this site to educate yourself. Now if we could just find our second one that easily...........
Thanks for all the helpfull information Betty S
Old 09-02-2007, 03:04 PM   #8

Thanks to every one who replyed to me thanks for all the information, I will keep on looking. BettyS
Old 09-03-2007, 07:20 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My suggestions:
1. Know in advance what you want vs. what you'll settle for. This has to do with features as well as condition of the trailer.

2. Have all the cash ready at a moments notice. Cash in hand speaks volumes when speaking with a seller.

3. Educate yourself. Start by clicking on this topic by Gina D.: PLEASE READ: Referral Ads - Buying Safely, eBay, Craigslist and Other Public Ads, buySAFE info

4. Then read this info by Buck62 on using online buying: The Official "Search Tips" Thread!, Posted by request

5. Find a multitude of RV Classified websites HERE

6. Print out the Buyers Check list from the left Nav bar: Used FiberglassRV Evaluation Check List. Ask questions here on the forum for items that you don't understand or need clarification. Be sure to take this list with you when you go to view a trailer!

7. If purchasing a (pre-owned) trailer is important to you, you must be dedicated to finding it. Tell everyone you know you're looking to buy. You'd be surprised, someone may know someone who knows someone else that has one for sale. Remember the six degrees of separation? Fortunately for you, we're at the tail end of the "popular" camping season. This is when people will be selling trailers that they don't want to store over "one more winter." The availability goes up and price goes down. Remember, availability will go down and price will go up in the Spring!

Best of luck!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
In addition to Bigfoot, the Outback from Team Trillium Trailers is sold through dealers... at least here in Alberta. I would check the trailer brand websites (listed in the Helpful-Links section here) to see which ones have listings of their dealers.

Any brand could show up on a dealer lot used, due to a trade-in; however, even here in Alberta where fiberglass trailers are relatively common, they are rare on dealers' lots, with only a few Bigfoot units typically available.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote