dealerships?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2012, 05:51 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
dealerships??

My DH and I were discussing the first time we had ever seen a fiberglass trailer or were in one.

Many years ago, when our children where little and all at home, we went to a dealer, and he took us through a fiberglass egg. He was selling several of them. My husband could not remember the brand of trailer but I seemed to remember them being Burros.

I would say it was probably the early, to mid '80s. There was no bathroom in what we looked at and that was a must for me at the time. It did have bunk beds.

We live in Ohio and that is where this very small dealership was. Did Burro or another fiberglass company ever use dealerships? Just curious now, that I finally own an egg, and know a little more about them.

Maybe they just bought a few and tried to sell them on their lot.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Yes, some new molded fiberglass trailers were sold by RV dealerships. I know that Bigfoot has used a network to sell their trailers, motorhomes, and truck campers. However, the two most sucessful brands, Casita and Scamp, only sell direct from the factory.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #3

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Burro dealers

Yes, Burro did sell through dealerships. I looked at a 13' at the Benton Harbor KOA back in '83. The KOA there was a dealer and had 2 on hand. I still have the brochure and some notes.

Just pulled out the logbook to get some details. It was July 29, 1983. The price list in the brochure shows $4,650 for a factory assembled Burro and a basic starter kit for $2,596. Several "groups" were available to add to your kit including wood group, appliance group, electrical group and decorative group. The basic starter kit was, well, pretty basic. It was listed as a fiberglass coach with a 5/8" plywood floor, torsion axle, 6.00x13 wheels with hubcaps, 2" coupler, tongue mounted swivel jack, safety chains, interior walls and 5 plexiglass windows. Tail lights, mounted and connected, were $65 extra.

They also offered an Ultra-lite unit with a 740 lb. weight at an introductory price of $5,450. It had an aluminum frame, mag wheels, aluminum propane tank and a fiberglass honeycomb floor in place of the the plywood floor. I don't think they sold many (if any) of them at that price point. I've never seen one.

Yes, I wanted a fiberglass camper even back then but Burro only offered a 13' and the price was way more than I could scrape together. Also, there was no bathroom or shower and with with two teenagers there wouldn't be enough room.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:58 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Thanks for satisfying my curiousity. Terry R.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote