Death of a Burro - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-22-2006, 10:08 AM   #29
Trailer: 2002 21.5 ft Bigfoot / 2003 Chevy Duramax 4x4
Truly a loss.

No question that a sticky would be unreconizable.

If you do decide to junk it, cut out the logo and hang it on a wall, even if it's in the garage. That is the coolest piece of commercial art I've ever seen. Would have bought one myself just 'cause of that, had the company not died.

Bill Abbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:03 PM   #30
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500

the pictures are on page 1.... make it seem like....

It's toast.

six feet under
pushing up daisies
Pining for the fiords.

It is NOT nailed to the perch.
Maybe, but ...

I've seen some whitewater canoes and kayaks that appeared to have met their demise with rocks and trees only to be resurrected in the right hands.

Still waiting to see what it looks like once the load of lumber has been removed. That is a lot of weight on top.

Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:41 PM   #31
Trailer: 13 ft 1982 Burro
Sorry about your loss.
Whit Bartholomew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:25 PM   #32
Trailer: Burro
Thanks for all of the kind words. Sorry about not posting anything lately, but with wedding plans, yard clean-up and work, I have been a bit short on time. Anyway, here are some new photos, now that the place has been cleaned up a bit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Exterior_Rear_of_Burro.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	4282

This first shot is a photo of the rear of the Burro. Now that it has been cleaned up, you can see the major damage to the roof. It was somewhat reassuring to discover that we most likely would have survived had we been in the camper at the time. It would have been a wild ride, but we would have made it.

Name:	Front_of_Burro.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	4283

You can see here that the front of the Burro is also in rough shape. Besides having both front and back windows blown out, there is a pretty good crack along the front. There are also big cracks on top of the poor little egg.

Name:	Interior_of_Burro.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	4284

This photo is of the interior. This shows how extensive the damage is from a different perspective.
Jim Gallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:32 PM   #33
As I mentioned earlier, we had moved the Burro into the back yard in preparation for our upcoming Bacherlor/Bachelorette cookout and campout. Well, the party had to go on, so we cleaned up the mess and still had a great weekend. Some folks had to tent it, instead of Burro'ing it, but the weather was nice so there were no problems. Since so many of our friends had been on camping trips with us when we had brought along the Burro, many were saddened by the loss. One by one, they made their way to the Burro and expressed their thoughts through use of a Sharpie magic marker (could this be titled "My Sentiments Eggsactly"?

Here are some of the notes....

Name:	Grrrrrr.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	4285

Name:	Ellie.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	4286

Name:	My_sentiments_eggsactly.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	4287

It was good for everyone (especially me) and gave us a few laughs.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:44 PM   #34
Some posters had asked about the issue of whether or not the Burro could be repaired....

We had an RV repair place look at it and were told that it was a total loss, unrepairable. This is the bad news.

The good news is that I persisted with my insurance agency and found a clause that showed that the Burro should be covered. While the insurance check is no where close to what a used Burro would cost, at least it is something with which to start a new Burro savings fund. I guess that the boat will have to wait for a couple of summers from now. Next year it is Burro time!! So any recommendations or tips on locations of used Burros would be greatly appreciated.

I have received a few notes about parting out the Burro. I am all for this, but at this time I am too busy with wedding plans (less than three weeks) and work to be able to part out the Burro. After the wedding and the busy camping season (my work coincides with others' pleasure), I will be able to take stock of the parts and start contacting interested parties. I honestly have no idea as to the value of some of these parts, so any comments about this would also be appreciated.

Thanks again for the kind words and interest in the subject. We'll soon be out on the road again with a new egg!
Old 07-31-2006, 09:44 PM   #35
Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
All the king's horses, and all the king's men....

Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:33 AM   #36
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Thanks for all the pics and information Jim. Sure glad the insurance company came to its senses too

As a suggestion, when you pull all the reuseable parts out/off the Burro...hang on to them...don't sell or give them away...just yet. Since you're looking to replace the bashed Burro with another one in the may find you'll need some of those parts to spiffy up the new one.
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:31 AM   #37
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Candi Woods
I'm so sorry about your loss. Maybe you could ask for donations from your friends towards the purchase of a new camper as a wedding gift. In the midst of it all it is refreshing to see all of the expressions of care and friendship it has brought about, isn't it? Certainly not to make light of it, but it's always easier to deal with loss when it also highlights and exposes the love of your friends, even if in a humorous way.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! May your marriage be filled with many adventures and fun times in the new camper you're sure to have in the future.
Candi Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:55 AM   #38
Trailer: Trillium
Does Casita or Scamp have a gift registry program?
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:22 AM   #39
Name: Shawn
Trailer: Scamp
We saw a Burro (or U-Haul, not sure which) for sale in St. Eustache just north of Montreal last weekend, not sure if that is to far for you, first one I have seen around here. Also saw a Casita and it was for sale, first one of those for me also. I am sorry about loss of the Burro.
Shawn Englehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:59 PM   #40
Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
I have received a few notes about parting out the Burro... I will be able to take stock of the parts and start contacting interested parties.
I'll bet that you'll make enough from the sale of the parts to be well on the way to buying another used Burro. Save and itemize EVERYTHING. Make EBay your friend.
Check out my Scamp restoration video on Youtube, & my Ham Radio Blog. Or take the 50 cent tour...
Bob H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:35 PM   #41
Trailer: R-pod (by Forest River)
check under the referral on this forum there is one from craig list inthe for sale ads. Only want two grand. Maggie

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote