Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
!?!?
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/a...1&d=1415226606

Zaphod Beeblebrox as a youth??

re cold: I quit skiing ~10 years ago and thought nothing of skiing all day with a high of -10 F. The coldest I've ever been was at +30 F in the sleet in Dallas.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:07 AM   #156

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Cathi,

Our new tow vehicle is almost as large as our trailer, at least as long, just not as tall. Ginny jokingly says we could give up the trailer and camp in the van.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:28 PM   #157

Name: David
Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
Jumping in here on the weight questions. I have a new Oliver on order and included the Anderson WDH. My TV is a 2011 Chevy Avalanche with factory towing package and a 5.3 liter V8. 3.42 rear end. One would think this package would be plenty for a 5000 pound trailer, but wait. Stand on your head and find the weight label on or under the hitch receiver. Mine says 500 pound tongue weight and 6000 pound pulling weight as equipped, but 1200 pound tongue weight and 12000 pulling weight with WDH. I had no idea of these differences until I read about them on the Oliver forum. So if you think you are within allowable tolerances, check that label. It is hard to find but very educational.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-07-2014, 10:43 PM   #158

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
I'm curious about something "trumpetguy". That seems to be the weight ratings on your hitch. But what is the actual towing capacity of the Avalanche?? That would be in your owner's manual...correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
Jumping in here on the weight questions. I have a new Oliver on order and included the Anderson WDH. My TV is a 2011 Chevy Avalanche with factory towing package and a 5.3 liter V8. 3.42 rear end. One would think this package would be plenty for a 5000 pound trailer, but wait. Stand on your head and find the weight label on or under the hitch receiver. Mine says 500 pound tongue weight and 6000 pound pulling weight as equipped, but 1200 pound tongue weight and 12000 pulling weight with WDH. I had no idea of these differences until I read about them on the Oliver forum. So if you think you are within allowable tolerances, check that label. It is hard to find but very educational.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:01 AM   #159

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
The Avalanche has the same suspension and axle as the Suburban, so ratings are going to be similar. This truck is no Silverado capability wise. Expect you may need WD and sway and expect to bog down in the hills. I was very disappointed with my Suburban towing and it would struggle with even a 3500 lb trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - http://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:42 AM   #160

Florida
Ron. I guess you mean by bog down in the hills I would have trouble keeping the speed up. Most Silverados I see have the same 5.3 V8 engine as the Avalanche. Why would they tow better in the hills? Just asking.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:45 AM   #161

Florida
Darral T. The owners manual lists 600 and 8000. That was a good question. I had not thought about the truck having different values from the hitch. It looks like I am safe all the way around with the wdh.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #162

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Quote:
Ron. I guess you mean by bog down in the hills I would have trouble keeping the speed up. Most Silverados I see have the same 5.3 V8 engine as the Avalanche. Why would they tow better in the hills? Just asking.

Mostly it's the rear drive ratio - you get a 3.73 gear in the Silverado or you can opt for a 4:10. That's some serious hill climbing torque, but you suffer in your gas mileage.

The newer trucks (2014-) - including the Suburban & Tahoe has a higher output 5.3 engine. The torque numbers on those are quite a bit higher. So a new one may tow ALOT better than those older ones.

My Suburban struggled also with quickly downshifting. It would slowly bog down, then when the speed dropped down to 50 or so, a hard downshift, and then the engine would roar trying to make up the speed. Very annoying and hard on the truck.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - http://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #163

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Darral T. I had not thought about the truck having different values from the hitch.

Very common for the hitch to have a very different tow rating from the vehicle its attached to. Vehicle tow spec capacity is often less than the capacity of hitch but in some cases - often with vehicles that have a low towing capacity - it can actually be more its just that a lesser hitch was installed.

Having said that in recent years some of the vehicle manufactures have on their factory installed hitches taken-up up the European practise of labelling the factor installed hitch to the same spec as the what the vehicles manual states. They do not state the hitch to be of an particular class such as III or IV or V etc. I have that on my current truck - the weight spec label on the hitch doesnt match what one would expect to find on a generic Class IV or V hitch but it does match the trucks towing spec as stated in the manual.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #164

Florida
Hey Ron M. My Avi has a 3.42 gear ratio and I wish it was higher. The tow mode in the tranny does a great job of keeping the rpms up and I have not noticed any issues when towing the lighter Casita. We climb some steep hills in North Georgia getting to the top of Blackrock Mountain and even used our Saturn Outlook with V6 on some of those trips. It remains to be seen how my Avi will handle the Oliver but I don't anticipate any problems. I enjoy the comfort and ease of handling the Avalanche affords and the exceptionally cool factor of the looks and color of mine.

See you on the road. 17 days to delivery.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #165

Name: Steve
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 17
Florida
It seems to me that this thread has evolved into a towing topic. With all the interest someone should just start a new thread under the topic of towing and TV's.

There is a new generation of trucks and SUV's on the horizon that will have diesel engines. Jeep already makes a diesel Grand Cherokee. Chrysler has the same diesel available in it's 1500 series pickups. This engine comes with an 8 speed tranny and from what I have researched, makes an excellent TV for the new Oliver or almost any other RV under 7000lbs. Next year Nissan will have a truck with a Cummins diesel that should get 30mpg on the highway. Toyota will have the same engine in it's 2016 line of Tundras. These vehicles will blow away all other(gas engine) TV's in every category.
hellsbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #166

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Towing? Who cares? We all tow. I WANNA SEE PICTURES
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #167

Name: Steve
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 17
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Towing? Who cares? We all tow. I WANNA SEE PICTURES
OK Donna, I hear you. I don't take many pictures of people but I couldn't resist this little guy. He's my first grandchild and just a week old.

hellsbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #168

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Oh my Steve, wonderful photo of a beautiful child!!

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oliver