Decided to order the Oliver - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #141

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
Yes, 1/2 and 3/4 ton are nothing but a name. As you well know, people have to look at their own vehicle's requirements and allowances and will no doubt find some surprises. I figure overloading is common when you consider what you read regarding the limits.
There are several spots in BC where the police set up checks for overloaded vehicles in BC. Often in spots were one might commonly see a pick up with a camper and/or pulling a boat. Its not uncommon to see boats parked off to the side of the road or a camper unloaded and left behind for later pick up in such areas as the truck was deemed to be overloaded by the police.

BC actually has a bulletin on the topic and address what happens if caught overloaded.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #142

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
[QUOTE=Rob Outlaw;490794]As I understand it the tongue weight of the Oliver is 10% of the total dry weight of the trailer which to my knowledge is just about ideal, no?

Tongue weigh is routinely 10%. Not sure I can remember any trailer where that was not the case or very close, 10% of dry weight.

For newbies, your tongue weight is whatever you have made it when you load the trailer. You need to weigh at a scale to obtain the trailer and tongue weight so that if is not in the 10-15% range, you can adjust it to that to safely tow.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #143

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote Cathi

"I know all about the Escape and it is not said to be four-season. Of course, they are in Canada and maybe they are not about to claim that an Escape can be used in winter. There are people who would call weather "winter" in the southern half of the U.S. And some of us would consider it mild weather. They would say that they have camped in winter but not necessarily someone else's idea of it. I am told that the makers of Oliver who are saying it is four-season do not camp, so I am wondering what owners have found in that regard. "

Have you had a Bigfoot? I know they are good in cold weather. I don't think they are making any of the smaller ones now.[/QUOTE]

There has been many discussion on this forum about camping in cold weather (Winter) or who makes a 4 season trailer . Individual definitions of cold weather are all over the map . I check the location of the poster to help me weigh their response . I own a Casita and belong to the Casita Forum . The membership of that forum is dominated by Texans and many of them think anything below 30 Deg F is cold weather . You and I live in the northern part of the USA and have a different definition of Winter than many of this forum's members .The reverse would be true in a discussion of hot weather and the need for AC. I personally do not believe that any of the fiberglass trailers are 4 season at least by my definition and the climate I live in ,including the Big foot
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:59 PM   #144

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
There are people who would call weather "winter" in the southern half of the U.S. And some of us would consider it mild weather. They would say that they have camped in winter but not necessarily someone else's idea of it.
There has been many discussion on this forum about camping in cold weather (Winter) or who makes a 4 season trailer . Individual definitions of cold weather are all over the map. I check the location of the poster to help me weigh their response. season at least by my definition and the climate I live in ,including the Big foot[/QUOTE]

Although I now live in Florida I was born and raised in Idaho and have spent winters in Minnesota, Ohio, N. Carolina and Kentucky. I have a pretty good grasp on what winter is like in the “lower 48” and maybe that is why I now choose to live in Florida! That said the coldest I have ever been has been down here in Florida and Alabama, sitting in a deer stand. Hmmm, guess that is why I don’t hunt anymore.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #145

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The whole tow vehicle thing is interesting.

We seek good mileage because it allows money for other aspects of travel We're now towing with the Odyssey (350/3500). Our tongue weight (200-210 lbs)is between 7-8% of the trailer weight and has not been an issue.

We have now driven about 1200 miles on this trip and we are averaging between 19-20 mpg. If we drive the vehicle around at home we average about 24. Not towing on the Interstate we are in the 35 mpg range. It's a miracle all on regular gas.

Towing it's not as efficient as our CRV but it's better on the highway and inside it's a cave.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #146

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Firearm Deer Hunting opens this Saturday in Minnesota . The predicted temps for the area I hunt in are for highs in the mid twenties , lows in the teens and snow. Almost perfect weather for deer hunting . The coldest weather I have ever hunted for deer in Minnesota was 29 below zero with a 64 below wind chill factor. It was a loooooong day of hunting. I have experienced what I consider unbearable heat and humidity when I attended the University of Tennessee and do not understand how people can tolerate that climate but I do not consider myself capable of giving advice on coping with hot weather .N Carolina ,Ohio, Kentucky and Iowa are considered southern states in my area . Thank God there are 50 states to choose from.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:28 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Quote Cathi

"I know all about the Escape and it is not said to be four-season. Of course, they are in Canada and maybe they are not about to claim that an Escape can be used in winter. There are people who would call weather "winter" in the southern half of the U.S. And some of us would consider it mild weather. They would say that they have camped in winter but not necessarily someone else's idea of it. I am told that the makers of Oliver who are saying it is four-season do not camp, so I am wondering what owners have found in that regard. "

Have you had a Bigfoot? I know they are good in cold weather. I don't think they are making any of the smaller ones now.
There has been many discussion on this forum about camping in cold weather (Winter) or who makes a 4 season trailer . Individual definitions of cold weather are all over the map . I check the location of the poster to help me weigh their response . I own a Casita and belong to the Casita Forum . The membership of that forum is dominated by Texans and many of them think anything below 30 Deg F is cold weather . You and I live in the northern part of the USA and have a different definition of Winter than many of this forum's members .The reverse would be true in a discussion of hot weather and the need for AC. I personally do not believe that any of the fiberglass trailers are 4 season at least by my definition and the climate I live in ,including the Big foot[/QUOTE]

Steve,
Where you are would be a true test of winter. If a trailer has good insulation and the lines and tanks are located where heat reaches them, do you not consider that capable of camping in winter with a furnace or even electric heater if someone is hooked up? I would think some folks somewhere camp in winter for cross-country skiing or the like or just going places.

I really am not even trying to check for the level of winter you or I have but something that would even work in the lower states in winter. So few people go out then though to hear of it. But even for shoulder seasons in a cold place where it has been into the teens, I would expect an Escape with heat pads and lower cabinets open or an Oliver to work. Just wonder who has done it for any appreciable time and if problems or not.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #148

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
!?!?
Attached Images

Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:48 PM   #149

Florida
We camped in Cold weather last winter driving from FL to AZ. We hugged the border the whole way and virtually every night was below freezing. Our little Scamp was up to the task. Every night was cozy but we did have to disconnect the water. At one park, when I went to reconnect in the morning for breakfast, the water in the ground was frozen.

After two months Ginny said lets go back to FL.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
The whole tow vehicle thing is interesting.

We seek good mileage because it allows money for other aspects of travel We're now towing with the Odyssey (350/3500). Our tongue weight (200-210 lbs)is between 7-8% of the trailer weight and has not been an issue.

We have now driven about 1200 miles on this trip and we are averaging between 19-20 mpg. If we drive the vehicle around at home we average about 24. Not towing on the Interstate we are in the 35 mpg range. It's a miracle all on regular gas.

Towing it's not as efficient as our CRV but it's better on the highway and inside it's a cave.
Yes, mileage is important to us also and that is one of the main features I look at in any vehicle. With this Eco-boost V6 now seen, the mileage is not nearly as bad as has always been seen on larger vehicles. Of course, even with mileage, one person's acceptable is not another's. Everyone also still has his or her choice of trailer that the TV must match. You are able to do so well with a smaller trailer and for long stretches.

You are truly out there to experience the best on the continent without regard to the trailer. You do, however, pay attention to careful packing and loading and having nothing extraneous. The longer a trip, the more likely we think we will use this or that that we must bring along. I think we are still packed pretty lightly from what I have seen. Well, maybe the TV could lose a few things. Might help mileage.

Your new TV is obviously working extremely well for you and allows you to be able to continue as you have. The trailer and TV choice hopefully fit right and that can take considerable looking with all of the variations on both. Yes, it's interesting.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #151

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
!?!?

Please quit feeding it. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:11 PM   #152

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post

I am sure that towing overweight has not nearly gone the way of the dodo bird, however. How many people do you know who have been to scales and know their towing numbers except maybe one, towing capacity, which can be very misleading.

I know all about the Escape and it is not said to be four-season. Of course, they are in Canada and maybe they are not about to claim that an Escape can be used in winter. There are people who would call weather "winter" in the southern half of the U.S. And some of us would consider it mild weather. They would say that they have camped in winter but not necessarily someone else's idea of it. I am told that the makers of Oliver who are saying it is four-season do not camp, so I am wondering what owners have found in that regard.

Have you had a Bigfoot? I know they are good in cold weather. I don't think they are making any of the smaller ones now. Can you compare their winter use to an Oliver as far as any of the features?
Yup there is always going to be those who will do as they please in regards to towing - numbers be damed! But thanks to Frederick here & his weighing of trailers at a number of trailer meets I actually do know a lot of people who now weigh their trailers regularly and know their tow vehicle specs well. Its a good thing! I suspect that Frederick Trailer Weights In The Real World thread has opened up a few peoples eyes and saved more than one person from making the mistake of matching a trailer to a vehicle not well suited to the trailers weight.

Bigfoot has actually gone back to its base roots since reopening their doors and is only making 17' 5", 21' 6" and a 25' 6" trailers along with their truck campers these days. Being from BC I am very familiar with the Bigfoot as for years it was the trailer and truck camper of choose of pretty well every fisherman and hunter here on the wet coast. It was during the time that Bigfoot was shut done due to financial woos (created when they started to build big trailers and buses in an economic down turn) that another Fiberglass manufacture from BC your familiar with became far better known & popular. Although for those looking for what we up here call a 4 season camper the Bigfoot is still the trailer of choose.

Nope haven't owned a Bigfoot but due to their popularty with my own family members I have borrowed them for camping trips on occasion - mostly prior to getting my current trailer. My family do BTW take their Bigfoot's up north for moose hunting etc each fall & I haven't heard any complaints about anyone having been cold. One Christmas a few years ago I did sleep in my parents driveway in a Bigfoot due to the family home being a little full with all the grandchildren etc coming home.... a couple of feet of snow on the ground that year and I found the trailer to have been very comfortable and warm.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:31 PM   #153

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
That said the coldest I have ever been has been down here in Florida and Alabama, sitting in a deer stand. Hmmm, guess that is why I don’t hunt anymore. [/FONT][/COLOR]
LOL the coldest weather I have every had to be outside all day in was just last year in Lake Louise -36.4C (-33.5F) and I as much as I think Bigfoot's to be pretty warm I don't think that sleeping in one would have worked well

Yup a lot has to do with ones definition of winter
Old 11-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Yup there is always going to be those who will do as they please in regards to towing - numbers be damed! But thanks to Frederick here & his weighing of trailers at a number of trailer meets I actually do know a lot of people who now weigh their trailers regularly and know their tow vehicle specs well. Its a good thing! I suspect that Frederick Trailer Weights In The Real World thread has opened up a few peoples eyes and saved more than one person from making the mistake of matching a trailer to a vehicle not well suited to the trailers weight.

Bigfoot has actually gone back to its base roots since reopening their doors and is only making 17' 5", 21' 6" and a 25' 6" trailers along with their truck campers these days. Being from BC I am very familiar with the Bigfoot as for years it was the trailer and truck camper of choose of pretty well every fisherman and hunter here on the wet coast. It was during the time that Bigfoot was shut done due to financial woos (created when they started to build big trailers and buses in an economic down turn) that another Fiberglass manufacture from BC your familiar with became far better known & popular. Although for those looking for what we up here call a 4 season camper the Bigfoot is still the trailer of choose.

Nope haven't owned a Bigfoot but due to their popularty with my own family members I have borrowed them for camping trips on occasion - mostly prior to getting my current trailer. My family do BTW take their Bigfoot's up north for moose hunting etc each fall & I haven't heard any complaints about anyone having been cold. One Christmas a few years ago I did sleep in my parents driveway in a Bigfoot due to the family home being a little full with all the grandchildren etc coming home.... a couple of feet of snow on the ground that year and I found the trailer to have been very comfortable and warm.

I have also used Frederick's numbers many times and I know others do. Definitely helps to get people to pay attention to that.

I know Bigfoot is an excellent trailer and have looked into them. Some owners have told me about them and they certainly seem like a great well-built trailer.
Thank you for the comments on them. They are also a consideration with a number of appealing aspects.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:45 PM   #155

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
!?!?
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/a...1&d=1415226606

Zaphod Beeblebrox as a youth??

re cold: I quit skiing ~10 years ago and thought nothing of skiing all day with a high of -10 F. The coldest I've ever been was at +30 F in the sleet in Dallas.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:07 AM   #156

Florida
Cathi,

Our new tow vehicle is almost as large as our trailer, at least as long, just not as tall. Ginny jokingly says we could give up the trailer and camp in the van.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-07-2014, 10:28 PM   #157

Name: David
Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
Jumping in here on the weight questions. I have a new Oliver on order and included the Anderson WDH. My TV is a 2011 Chevy Avalanche with factory towing package and a 5.3 liter V8. 3.42 rear end. One would think this package would be plenty for a 5000 pound trailer, but wait. Stand on your head and find the weight label on or under the hitch receiver. Mine says 500 pound tongue weight and 6000 pound pulling weight as equipped, but 1200 pound tongue weight and 12000 pulling weight with WDH. I had no idea of these differences until I read about them on the Oliver forum. So if you think you are within allowable tolerances, check that label. It is hard to find but very educational.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-07-2014, 10:43 PM   #158

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'm curious about something "trumpetguy". That seems to be the weight ratings on your hitch. But what is the actual towing capacity of the Avalanche?? That would be in your owner's manual...correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
Jumping in here on the weight questions. I have a new Oliver on order and included the Anderson WDH. My TV is a 2011 Chevy Avalanche with factory towing package and a 5.3 liter V8. 3.42 rear end. One would think this package would be plenty for a 5000 pound trailer, but wait. Stand on your head and find the weight label on or under the hitch receiver. Mine says 500 pound tongue weight and 6000 pound pulling weight as equipped, but 1200 pound tongue weight and 12000 pulling weight with WDH. I had no idea of these differences until I read about them on the Oliver forum. So if you think you are within allowable tolerances, check that label. It is hard to find but very educational.

Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:01 AM   #159

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
The Avalanche has the same suspension and axle as the Suburban, so ratings are going to be similar. This truck is no Silverado capability wise. Expect you may need WD and sway and expect to bog down in the hills. I was very disappointed with my Suburban towing and it would struggle with even a 3500 lb trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:42 AM   #160

Name: David
Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
Ron. I guess you mean by bog down in the hills I would have trouble keeping the speed up. Most Silverados I see have the same 5.3 V8 engine as the Avalanche. Why would they tow better in the hills? Just asking.

Tags
oliver