Deciding between a fiberglass and a Lance trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-21-2016, 08:32 PM   #15

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
So e slideouts have an emergency crank that comes with then so if the electric goes out you can manually crank it in.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:29 AM   #16

Name: Valerie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Ohio
Wow, Donna D: thanks for directing me to that discussion thread about Lance vs Bigfoot. It was an eye opener. Also, everyone that has responded here, thanks for your candor. We are now deciding the Lance is NOT the way to go. My husband does not like the idea of a 5th wheel due to losing the daily use of his truck with the hook-up device in place. So now I will begin looking at the tow trailers recommended here, with a permanent big bed (don't like the idea twin beds).

Old 10-22-2016, 08:24 AM   #17

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vfarsch View Post
My husband does not like the idea of a 5th wheel due to losing the daily use of his truck with the hook-up device in place.
This is easily overcome, and I do it on a regular basis. I installed a B&W gooseneck hitch that leaves the bed smooth when not in use. To it I attach the Andersen Ultimate Hitch, which weights about 35 lbs and takes less than a minute to install or remove.

I do home renovations for a living, and appreciate the ease in which I can remove my fifth wheel hitch.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:20 AM   #18

Name: Valerie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Ohio
Deciding between a fiberglass and a Lance trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This is easily overcome, and I do it on a regular basis. I installed a B&W gooseneck hitch that leaves the bed smooth when not in use. To it I attach the Andersen Ultimate Hitch, which weights about 35 lbs and takes less than a minute to install or remove.

I do home renovations for a living, and appreciate the ease in which I can remove my fifth wheel hitch.
I have not heard of these items, and am seriously excited to hear you say this is easy. My husband is 62 and not as strong as he once was. Do you think it would be easy enough for him? Also, can these items be used with any of the fiberglass 5th wheels?
I have been looking at the tow trailers, and not happy with how long they have to be to have the large, permanent bed. We really did not want to go over 17' if possible.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:58 PM   #19

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vfarsch View Post
I have not heard of these items, and am seriously excited to hear you say this is easy. My husband is 62 and not as strong as he once was. Do you think it would be easy enough for him? Also, can these items be used with any of the fiberglass 5th wheels?
I have been looking at the tow trailers, and not happy with how long they have to be to have the large, permanent bed. We really did not want to go over 17' if possible.
I am 59, and it is a piece of cake for me. But then, I just spent the day hauling sidewalk blocks around.

Seriously though, it is real easy to deal with. As long as you can get into the bed of the truck, the rest is easy peasy and very light. I have handed the hitch over the side of the box to my wife.

There are very few fibreglass fifth wheels. I think the only ones in production are the Escape at 21'-2" (but some of that is over the truck bed) and the Scamp 19'. I am not very familiar with the Scamp, but know a few who had them who moved up to the Escape. Bigfoot used to make them too, and you might find a used one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:14 PM   #20

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I think the Scamp 19 requires crawling over, if memory serves.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:35 PM   #21

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Glen is right. The person far forward must crawl over the other one to get out of bed. Also: How tall R U. 6ft and above do not fit well i. That bed.