Deep SLeep - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-20-2015, 07:17 AM   #15

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the market
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
I once had a dog that did snore at times, I'm not sure if the snoring or my laughing at his snoring is what kept me awake. But then laughter is good for the heart. Right?
You made me laugh Pat!

Old 08-20-2015, 07:38 AM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Cathy,

I was actually surprised to read that dogs and cats snore. We had a number of pets when the children lived at home (and actually have a dog and cat living with us this month) but I have never heard one snore.

The dog is really old, 16 years, and scratches at our bedroom door at night occasionally, wanting to go outside. Not something I would like as an RVer but handle well in the short term. We always wonder about the RVers walking their dogs in the rain.

I do note that pets, particularly dogs, are great ice breakers with strangers. Almost like a permission card to safely talk to another human. I notice the same thing in Laundromats where people will talk to each other doing the same task.

Our view of pets is that for people that travel as much as us, there is no room for pets. We use to travel in a fair sized motorhome and we had the same feeling in the motorhome.

Fortunately everyone is different and has their different reasons for what they do.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #17

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 Layout 7
Colorado
Registry
Our 11 year old, 9 pound kitty cat snores so loudly! She also wakes my husband up every night at 2:30am and "asks" to be put to bed in her bed, on top of the dryer, in the laundry room. He always carries her in and tucks her in bed. It's ridiculous because she is quite capable of taking herself to bed! Funny how when he is out of town, she nevers wakes me to do the same!

One of our favorite things about camping is the incredible sleep that we get. We think it is the fresh air, lack of distraction and ability to go to bed at a reasonable time and wake when rested without an alarm. Whatever the reason, we love camping sleep!

Also, Norm, I can't wait to read your book!
Old 08-20-2015, 09:39 AM   #18

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
One of our favorite things about camping is the incredible sleep that we get. We think it is the fresh air, lack of distraction and ability to go to bed at a reasonable time and wake when rested without an alarm. Whatever the reason, we love camping sleep!
I'm interested in the quality of sleep in our trailer, particularly considering the importance of sleep. I think the escape from distraction is a huge factor in making road life so satisfactory.

I did not get to write today. Last night's sleep was the poorest we've had since we received our sleep monitors. WIth the early morning airport pickup we did not sleep well and slept less. AS a result I had to break my sleep/exercise/writing routine. Honestly I feel a little out of sorts, just completing a nap as suggested when you don't get a good or enough sleep. For me naps aren't enough. Maybe by afternoon I can catch up. How does one get a good nap? It's something I've hardly ever do.

Thanks for the kind words.

Sleepy Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-20-2015, 10:20 AM   #19

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
My dog sleeps at my feet in the trailer and for a few minutes in my home bed till I kick her out. Reason: she makes me hot and I'm already in perimenopause! Ha ha!

I enjoyed her by my feet during my last camping trip though as it was cold and then she warmed me up. Even though I do it, I agree that you most likely get better sleep without a furry friend on your bed.

We are human animals and probably sleep better with another human, rather than a doggie. So most nights now I either kick her out or she realizes I'm over it and leaves on her own accord. She recently began snoring but that doesn't bother me honestly. It's kinda cute. In dog years she's my age so I guess it comes with the territory. I don't know if I snore as I'm single.

Getting 8-9 hours is definitely the way to go, but I suspect many people get much less. Before the advent of electricity, 11 hours was the norm. So I would venture to say many are sleep deprived because we can do so much more in darkness that lighting and electronics allow for.

Health detriments to poor sleep are well documented. Most I e read about are weight gain as we try to gather energy from food to make up for fatigue.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-20-2015, 10:49 AM   #20

Florida
I agree about the weight gain and tired eating. While starting our last company with a few other guys we would work very long hours and invariably eat sugar candy..we would have one caramel candy with a white sugar center, our secret power pill.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-20-2015, 11:00 AM   #21

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Norm, this is another interesting thread you've started. Winter time my 90 pound Aussie likes sleeping on the bed and I don't mind because he's warm and if he does move around I don't realize it because I'm in such a deep sleep. Now in the trailer it's a completely different story, there's no room for him on the bed and he realizes I won't allow it.

Like others I seem to sleep better when camping but, so far, my trips have been 3,4 or 5 days. Once I start on longer trips that could change.

As a youngster and I stayed over night with grandparents I could hear the trains off in the distance, it would put me to sleep. 70 years later that sound still puts me into a deep sleep; something like the sounds of crickets, gurgling streams and rain pounding on the roof of the trailer.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:01 AM   #22

New York
Registry
Sounds like Goetze's caramel creams. One of my staples... Get em in the bulk candy section at my local Wegmans. I don't just eat one at a time either. Oh my.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:04 AM   #23

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
Norm, this is another interesting thread you've started. Winter time my 90 pound Aussie likes sleeping on the bed and I don't mind because he's warm and if he does move around I don't realize it because I'm in such a deep sleep. Now in the trailer it's a completely different story, there's no room for him on the bed and he realizes I won't allow it.

Like others I seem to sleep better when camping but, so far, my trips have been 3,4 or 5 days. Once I start on longer trips that could change.

As a youngster and I stayed over night with grandparents I could hear the trains off in the distance, it would put me to sleep. 70 years later that sound still puts me into a deep sleep; something like the sounds of crickets, gurgling streams and rain pounding on the roof of the trailer.

Agreed with the night sounds. Thunderstorms, rain dancing on the trailer, the trains coming through Sanborn in the night, Lake Ontario hugging the shore, a slow moving vehicle driving down the street, crickets and singing tree frogs. All good.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #24

New York
Registry
And I forgot to add my personal favorite. The gentle wind rustling through the trees.

Ahhh...

Old 08-20-2015, 11:29 AM   #25

Name: Mr
Trailer: small
State
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Last night's sleep was the poorest we've had since we received our sleep monitors.
I wonder how much your sleep could be affected simply because you are monitoring it. For me, any time I try to track and quantify what I am doing, it ends up adding to the "stress", or mental energy, really, that I am dedicating to that activity. How far did we bike today? How far did we walk? How many calories did we eat? The one activity in my life that I do not want to make more complicated ... is sleep.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:02 PM   #26

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Henning View Post
I wonder how much your sleep could be affected simply because you are monitoring it. For me, any time I try to track and quantify what I am doing, it ends up adding to the "stress", or mental energy, really, that I am dedicating to that activity. How far did we bike today? How far did we walk? How many calories did we eat? The one activity in my life that I do not want to make more complicated ... is sleep.
I didn't need to look at my monitor to know how I slept last night, nor to recognize that I sleep better when we're traveling. I do know I want to get enough and better sleep and maybe the monitor will help me learn.

It's certainly a reality that stress is a factor and travel is relatively stress free compared to being home. This weekend we have house guests for my brother in law's 70th, definitely a deserving guy but it comes with stress.

There's always something like this when surrounded by a large family. WHen we moved here we were the only one of our family living here, now most of them have made NH their home state. They are a great family... I love our family, I love my road life.

I've asked a few people how many hours sleep is healthy and few know. It's similar for a healthy weight. Eating is not a conscious act for many.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-20-2015, 12:35 PM   #27

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Our cats have gotten used to doing their business outside and choose to not use the litterbox anymore (I am not sure why). Anyway, one of them goes out right after eating at night, the other likes to stay in and eat breakfast before going out in the morning. THIS morning around 4 dadgum AM she starts meowing continuously until I finally could not stand it anymore and got up to let her out. So yes pets can certainly cause you to loose sleep. But there are also benefits. Suppose you hear a strange noise in the house at night. With a cat you just roll over and say to yourself "that was the cat" and go back to sleep. Without a cat you lay there and worry about what that noise was!
Old 08-20-2015, 12:36 PM   #28

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I don't have a blog but have decided to write a book. Mostly for my amusement and as a form of personal expression titled by Ellpea a member of this forum: Musing on the Road. I've only been at it for 3 days and have made writing a part of morning routine.
Wahoo!

(not excited or anything!)

5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote