Deep SLeep - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-23-2015, 07:05 AM   #43

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Tom,
I’m sure your earplugs are the insulators. One certainly always hears the weather, particularly a heavy rain. I find I sleep so well I only hear the different or threatening sounds, like a coyote howling in mid-night.

I don’t take sleeping pills because I sleep very well, only waking with the Sun.

I used to be short hour sleeper while working, finding I adapted quite well to sleeping an unhealthy number of hours. I think there’s so much built in margin in the human body that eventually catches up with you, the reason why so many can carry around an extra 50 pounds for decades before it results in other system failures.

I assume that you've tried to live without the earplugs. We rarely snore, but I just view any event like that as a reassurance of the presence of the other person. Ginny and I have slept near train tracks, busy train tracks, in our RV and generally slept thru their passing, our brains knowing the sound, only alerting us to the unusual.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:22 PM   #44

Florida
A Record

I achieved a personal best last night, 5+ hours of deep sleep out of 8 hours. For the first time exceeding Ginny.

It's not a contest, but now it's the first thing we do when we wake up... check to see how much deep sleep we've gotten. How neat to have a measurement system.

I've also changed a few bed time routines. Generally I take a shower before going to bed. Second no eating for 3 hours before going to bed, generally that means no snacking after system. (Heaven knows (oops) I'm not religious but most of the time I've been following the 3 hour rule.

Parallel to the 3 hour no eating before bed rule is the no eating for 12 hours before breakfast rule.

I absolutely love the ability to measure. A friend had lost weight and gained a fair amount back. I asked if he got on the scales every day. No was the reply. I suggested it because getting on the scale makes you conscious of eating and your weight.

Scale mounting needs to be a habit.

Though we eat less on the road, we carry a $10 scale with us when we travel and regularly weigh ourselves..

Have conscious habits, make conscious choices.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-26-2015, 07:24 PM   #45

Florida
Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Norm, you mentioned "bugging-out" to northern Maine as an idea, which reminded me of a delightful book I read a while ago:
The Education Of A Yankee: Judson D. Hale: 9780872331839: Amazon.com: Books
You probably read it, and I bet a lot of people here might like it. I would not do it justice if I tried to tell more about it.
Paul
Paul,

A very interesting read about an unimaginable family, almost like watching a PBS show about the rich English. I liked it and there's a line to read it next.

Thank you.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-27-2015, 08:04 AM   #46

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
I am always happy when my recommendation is on target! Glad you liked it.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:00 PM   #47

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Much of my adult life has been plagued by poor sleep quality which runs the gamut from not being able to fall asleep to middle of the night wakefulness. Began when I was a young mother and now entering my menopausal years is worse. Sigh.

One of the joys I get from camping is the great sleep it provides, not to mention the fabulous daytime naps. Something about those little windows being cracked open and the gentle sound and feel of the breeze. Often for me this is beautifully paired with the wash of the lake on the shore.

If I could ever afford it in my retirement years, I would buy a little cottage on the lake. There's just something about being close to the sway of the tree branches, gentle wind and water sounds that restores my soul. My work is so stressful and I bring it home with me. Camping in my scamp gives me that away time to live and be near what matters to me - the delights of this great earth. I just wish during the long winter months I could find something that cleanses my inner being like camping does. The sleep is all one beautiful part of it, and I just love waking up in my precious little 13 foot egg cuz she's so cute, feeding my doggie and putting the stovetop percolator on for a hot cup of the best tasting coffee ever.

Ahhh...

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-27-2015, 10:00 PM   #48

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
I try to camp as close to a mountain stream as I can............white noise.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:23 PM   #49

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
There is something in our biological makeup that craves the sound of water, and the warmth of a fire. We are drawn to, and comforted by both.
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:06 AM   #50

Florida
Listening

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Much of my adult life has been plagued by poor sleep quality which runs the gamut from not being able to fall asleep to middle of the night wakefulness. Began when I was a young mother and now entering my menopausal years is worse. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
My children belonged to a way off center religious group for a number of years. Part of their routine was an afternoon 'ascension' where they would as a group take a 'religious nap'.

I learned how to do this. I could be sitting in a lobby waiting and close my eyes and listen for my heart beat and virtually be asleep in minutes.

Not deeply but restfully. Others would be concerned and often comment when I came back wondering if I were OK. Once I confirmed my condition they were always interested in the how.

If I wake up at night in bed, usually around 4 AM, I exercise doing reverse planks in bed for a few minutes and fall back to sleep.

Of course like most, I sleep well in the trailer's womb.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-28-2015, 12:45 PM   #51

Florida
Trailer Sleep

We're having a house full this weekend so Ginny and I will be sleeping in the Scamp tonight. SInce we also have a dinner party next door tonight, I went out to make up the trailer bed this afternoon. I got the bottom sheet down, put my head down and was soon sound asleep.

Ginny came out to see where I was and found a sleeping husband, not too deeply waking up when she entered the trailer. (Hope springs eternal.)

That trailer dinette/bed is so comfortable... Is it physical and/or mental?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-28-2015, 01:14 PM   #52

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
That trailer dinette/bed is so comfortable... Is it physical and/or mental?
It's gotta be mental, at times I go out to the trailer to do something and instead "check out the bed".
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:26 PM   #53

Florida
We have a lot of house guests and always give guests our bedroom. Often both bedrooms are used by quests and Ginny and I usually sleep on the porch but often in the RV. Little do they know that when we're in the RV we have the best bed.

I'm sure many of our guests would find the Scamp uncomfortable, being stuck in a queen or king mindset. I'm sure there's a word for those kind of people like 'flatlanders', or 'land lovers' but I don't know what it is.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-28-2015, 02:17 PM   #54

Florida
The beach sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
I try to camp as close to a mountain stream as I can............white noise.
We're a couple of blocks back from the beach but even on a sea calm night you can hear the waves rolling beach stones, almost a being rocked feeling. It's a pleasant sound as in rain on the roof or a breeze thru the leaves.

I recalled the first time we were camping and it rained. We had never heard anything like the sound of a heavy rain on an RV roof. We loved it. Some how it's comforting.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-29-2015, 08:38 PM   #55

Name: Carol & Jim
Trailer: New 2015 16' Scamp
Georgia
Good Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Jim,

Interesting... when I worked I never slept more than 6 hours and I never napped. On the few occasions I tried it, I would sleep too much and be unbearable, worse than not sleeping.

Once we started traveling we began sleeping later and now really get 7-9 hours. I wake up when the Sun comes up regardless when I go to bed. I never sleep beyond sunrise.

It was a painless change for us, really easy for Ginny, a really good sleeper.

When I worked I always kept a pad beside the bed, always amazed how you can wake up with a solution.
I have had a difficult time sleeping as a child (7-8) and on up. Ay 15 I developed the same disease my father had early-Gall Bladder Disease and the pain was excruciating; of course MDs never suspected it in someone my age and this was the late 60's, early 70's and all they saw was a kid wanting pain pills-duh! Anyway I self diagnosed in 1977 and insisted on tests and got the long good old fashioned scar from the surgery with big metal wires holding me together.
I have Fibromyalgia/Arthritis/Back Issues/Bursitis/Chronic Fatigue/Interstitial Cystitis and 16 other medical issues. The 2015 Scamp cushions are firm to the point of being hard! After seeing my endocrinologist on Wed, I pointed my DH to the Big Lots in Gainesville GA and we got some things including a 2" blue cool egg crate mattress that came with a 2" memory foam topper-significantly better, but not the same as home. I have to take 1 mg Xanax, 100 mg Morphine, 30-60 Oxycodone, and occasionally part of a Tizanidine(muscle relaxer for my back spasms to get a solid night sleep. If I am anywhere near a babbling brook/crick/waterfall, it sounds like a party's going on and I can't sleep. The kicker is that both my hubbies slept like logs and snored like dogs-I don' think it is fair!! The answer lies in getting the mattress firm with a soft top. Thanks to y'all's suggestions.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:37 AM   #56

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Vanderscamper Carol, I hope you feel better with the mattress topper. I have 5 of the 6 conditions you listed, along with trouble sleeping. A comfortable bed is absolutely necessary, and we just got an eggcrate pad yesterday to use in the trailer. I know what you mean about certain noises keeping you up, although creek, ocean, and wind sounds are soothing for me. I wonder if a white noise machine would help you? Or, if you have a smart phone there are several apps that will do almost the same thing. I've used one of these apps when going through a bad sleep cycle, and it really helped. Hang in there!

Best,
LP

5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote