Deep SLeep - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2015, 10:00 AM   #21

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Norm, this is another interesting thread you've started. Winter time my 90 pound Aussie likes sleeping on the bed and I don't mind because he's warm and if he does move around I don't realize it because I'm in such a deep sleep. Now in the trailer it's a completely different story, there's no room for him on the bed and he realizes I won't allow it.

Like others I seem to sleep better when camping but, so far, my trips have been 3,4 or 5 days. Once I start on longer trips that could change.

As a youngster and I stayed over night with grandparents I could hear the trains off in the distance, it would put me to sleep. 70 years later that sound still puts me into a deep sleep; something like the sounds of crickets, gurgling streams and rain pounding on the roof of the trailer.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:01 AM   #22

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Sounds like Goetze's caramel creams. One of my staples... Get em in the bulk candy section at my local Wegmans. I don't just eat one at a time either. Oh my.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:04 AM   #23

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
Norm, this is another interesting thread you've started. Winter time my 90 pound Aussie likes sleeping on the bed and I don't mind because he's warm and if he does move around I don't realize it because I'm in such a deep sleep. Now in the trailer it's a completely different story, there's no room for him on the bed and he realizes I won't allow it.

Like others I seem to sleep better when camping but, so far, my trips have been 3,4 or 5 days. Once I start on longer trips that could change.

As a youngster and I stayed over night with grandparents I could hear the trains off in the distance, it would put me to sleep. 70 years later that sound still puts me into a deep sleep; something like the sounds of crickets, gurgling streams and rain pounding on the roof of the trailer.

Agreed with the night sounds. Thunderstorms, rain dancing on the trailer, the trains coming through Sanborn in the night, Lake Ontario hugging the shore, a slow moving vehicle driving down the street, crickets and singing tree frogs. All good.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:08 AM   #24

New York
Registry
And I forgot to add my personal favorite. The gentle wind rustling through the trees.

Ahhh...

Old 08-20-2015, 10:29 AM   #25

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Last night's sleep was the poorest we've had since we received our sleep monitors.
I wonder how much your sleep could be affected simply because you are monitoring it. For me, any time I try to track and quantify what I am doing, it ends up adding to the "stress", or mental energy, really, that I am dedicating to that activity. How far did we bike today? How far did we walk? How many calories did we eat? The one activity in my life that I do not want to make more complicated ... is sleep.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:02 AM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Henning View Post
I wonder how much your sleep could be affected simply because you are monitoring it. For me, any time I try to track and quantify what I am doing, it ends up adding to the "stress", or mental energy, really, that I am dedicating to that activity. How far did we bike today? How far did we walk? How many calories did we eat? The one activity in my life that I do not want to make more complicated ... is sleep.
I didn't need to look at my monitor to know how I slept last night, nor to recognize that I sleep better when we're traveling. I do know I want to get enough and better sleep and maybe the monitor will help me learn.

It's certainly a reality that stress is a factor and travel is relatively stress free compared to being home. This weekend we have house guests for my brother in law's 70th, definitely a deserving guy but it comes with stress.

There's always something like this when surrounded by a large family. WHen we moved here we were the only one of our family living here, now most of them have made NH their home state. They are a great family... I love our family, I love my road life.

I've asked a few people how many hours sleep is healthy and few know. It's similar for a healthy weight. Eating is not a conscious act for many.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #27

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Our cats have gotten used to doing their business outside and choose to not use the litterbox anymore (I am not sure why). Anyway, one of them goes out right after eating at night, the other likes to stay in and eat breakfast before going out in the morning. THIS morning around 4 dadgum AM she starts meowing continuously until I finally could not stand it anymore and got up to let her out. So yes pets can certainly cause you to loose sleep. But there are also benefits. Suppose you hear a strange noise in the house at night. With a cat you just roll over and say to yourself "that was the cat" and go back to sleep. Without a cat you lay there and worry about what that noise was!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #28

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I don't have a blog but have decided to write a book. Mostly for my amusement and as a form of personal expression titled by Ellpea a member of this forum: Musing on the Road. I've only been at it for 3 days and have made writing a part of morning routine.
Wahoo!

(not excited or anything!)

Old 08-20-2015, 12:00 PM   #29

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
I definitely agree that somehow camping lends us better sleep. I'm a terrible night owl (which is why you sometimes see posts from me at 1:40 a.m.), and Ron, who drives a log truck as his *fun* retirement *hobby* usually gets up around 2.30 or 3 a.m.). Sometimes I'm just heading in as he gets up!

But when camping, and the sun goes down, and everything is quiet (yup, no computer), I *do* get sleepy early. It is so seldom I can fall asleep at 11, much less TEN, but it has happened when camping, and the sleep has been awesome.

For me this has happened in a tent, but I also found I slept soundly and comfortably in my Kencraft, sleeping in it several nights a week while attending grad school. In this case, I think it was the cozy smallness of the space. Womb-like, you know?

To expand on that, Ron has camped in his little Aerostar for around 25 years. He customized the inside with cozy bed for one (expandable for two when necessary), and a little reading light, a spot for hanging ski gear and "foulies" (sailing wet-weather gear). He's very peaceful and satisfied in that space, and I have to say the smaller bed is quite cuddly. Which is why he resisted getting a trailer for so long. But after several years I just NEEDED space to stand up to get dressed, and places to put my STUFF.

But, the point of that last bit is that he sleeps so well in his van, that his voice CHANGES. His natural speaking voice is very deep and beautiful. I have to say, it's a real turn-on! But when he's behind on sleep, it becomes less strong and deep. Because of his work schedule, it's sometimes days at a time before we hear that deep, movie-star sound. But when we DO, we know it's because he's had enough deep sleep to fully recuperate from his schedule.

He's planning to retire this fall, finally. This will be a bit of a challenge, because his job has given me health care, and I have a while to go before Medicare. It's also provided a LOT of monthly income, which will go away unless I decide to enter the work force again for a few years. This also makes me think about divesting our "stuff" and perhaps doing a park model like Norm and Ginny. I love my THINGS, but do understand the weight they add to our lives.

But back to Ron, he's beginning to look at sailing regattas we haven't had time to seek out before, and national parks we've never had time to get to. Mr. Minimalist (my hubby, not the Minimalist on this board) is becoming more and more enchanted with Ellpea's Lil'Bea, and is looking forward to spending time in her with me.

So here's to good sleep, retirement, movie-star voices, and travels with the ones we love!

Old 08-20-2015, 12:58 PM   #30

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I guess I'm a pack animal? Used to have a Shih tzu that would curl up on the pillow (highest point on the bed) then lick his front feet to groom himself before going to sleep. Miss that smack, smack smack in my ear. If not hearing it clearly don't turn that way, it won't be the licking end next to your head.

Current canine likes to come up for a bit then will generally head to the floor, but not in the camper, stays on the bed curled by our feet when sleeping there. Will really only share the bed at home with one person. If one of us is reading in bed then fine but if the other one comes to bed pretty soon off to the floor she goes.

Slept with cats growing up, only cat that was ever a problem was one with allergies. She was know to sneeze large amounts of mucus, often triggered by purring so pointing her in a safe direction before loving was important. But so affectionate and loved to snuggle. Her brother was just on the bed to keep the dog off by daring her to jump up where she could be reached.

I will say nothing encourages good pet bathing habits and making the bed up in the morning so the sheets are covered like a dog that sleeps on the bed.

I guess I always sleep better knowing that the canine alarm system is armed and ready to go off. Waking up to a snuggle from a schnauzer snout and beard that has been outside sniffing in the snow or just gotten a drink are things I find just add spice to the relationship. Or at least spicy language.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:41 PM   #31

Florida
Knowing nothing

"He's planning to retire this fall, finally. This will be a bit of a challenge, because his job has given me health care, and I have a while to go before Medicare. It's also provided a LOT of monthly income, which will go away unless I decide to enter the work force again for a few years. This also makes me think about divesting our "stuff" and perhaps doing a park model like Norm and Ginny. I love my THINGS, but do understand the weight they add to our lives." - Ellpea

We retired at 58 without medical insurance. The first 18 months we used Cobra, after that we bought catastrophe medical insurance until we reached 65. These days I suppose Obamacare of some kind would have to suffice. Ginny worked in insurance so is very insurance conscious.

We had a nephew without insurance that ended up in a FL hospital for a potential heart problem for a few days. The bill was the order of $10,000. He didn't have the money. The hospital instantly excepted $1,500.

It reminds me of the bills I sometimes get for medical services and eventually I see what the insurance companies pay.. it's a small fraction of the original charge.

In retrospect the time together has been worth the risk.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-20-2015, 05:22 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Sleep is highly overrated, and a terrible waste of time.

Though there is a bit of seriousness to that, as I would love more time not sleeping, I do realize that unfortunately our bodies need it.

I sleep on average 5-6 hours a night. I am very fortunate that this is usually a very deep, deep sleep. Then, when I wake up, I get up. I have tried for hours a few times to get back to sleep, but just can't.

The one bit of sleep I absolutely love is my near daily nap, usually 5-10 minutes, where I hit an unconscious state, and wake up feeling fully refreshed. If for any reason I sleep much longer during the day, I usually wake up groggier than when I laid down, usually due to a bug, or something.

When I get into a routine when camping, I do notice that after a few days, I can sleep up to 7 hours, which sometimes is nice. We bought an expensive, but very comfy dual foam mattress for the trailer, 6" quality firm foam, with a 2 1/2" latex foam topper.

I also a one who loves mornings. I am much more alert then, and my productivity escalates big time. In the evening, I am fine dealing with things I am passionate about, but don't make me think too hard.

I would bet that if our bodies could determine the length of a day, and not our reliance upon the earth's rotation, I would likely do better with a shorter day, maybe 20 hours or less, and just have more of them.

I don't think there is a single sleep scenario that would work for everyone, as every body has it's own requirements.

Oh, and our dog often joins us on the bed when we first get in, but does not stay for very long. I think it is too warm for him. He has maybe done 2 or 3 full nights on the bed in the trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:35 PM   #33

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
5-6 hours. Jim, we could start a club. Napping is a skill I had lost, but I'm working on it now, with moderate success.

I'm also working on getting 7 to 8 hours of sleep, but I have found that if I go to bed earlier, I still wake up in 5-6 hours and have trouble getting back to sleep. Reading helps....milk too.

Lately I have been wearing myself out removing 4 hives of bees from our duck camp. Yes, I'm the only one that likes them, so as a favor to my brothers..............
When I'm out there I do some other work too. Last Tuesday was a 12 hour day, and then I had to unload and place a hive in the twilight. I actually slept 8 hours that night.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:06 PM   #34

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post

Sounds of nature seem to be the most calming. I'd like to know if anyone has a "nature's sounds machine" that you like that could be used at home or (on batteries) whilst camping. Yes, sometimes there are no nature sounds whilst camping. I have tried putting nature sounds on my MP3 player but have not found a track I really like.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:37 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
5-6 hours. Jim, we could start a club. Napping is a skill I had lost, but I'm working on it now, with moderate success.

I'm also working on getting 7 to 8 hours of sleep, but I have found that if I go to bed earlier, I still wake up in 5-6 hours and have trouble getting back to sleep. Reading helps....milk too.

Lately I have been wearing myself out removing 4 hives of bees from our duck camp. Yes, I'm the only one that likes them, so as a favor to my brothers..............
When I'm out there I do some other work too. Last Tuesday was a 12 hour day, and then I had to unload and place a hive in the twilight. I actually slept 8 hours that night.
I too don't dare go to sleep too early. If I fall asleep at 9PM, you can be sure I am up around 2AM. with little chance of falling back to sleep.

I can't remember the last time I slept 8 hours in one night. It must be decades ago now.

I really do not suffer from the amount of sleep I get, and am a firm believer in how much a short nap helps. Works for me, but not others. Heck, my wife sleeps at least 7 hours a night, sometimes more, and trust me, I am way more cheerful.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:05 PM   #36

Florida
Jim,

Interesting... when I worked I never slept more than 6 hours and I never napped. On the few occasions I tried it, I would sleep too much and be unbearable, worse than not sleeping.

Once we started traveling we began sleeping later and now really get 7-9 hours. I wake up when the Sun comes up regardless when I go to bed. I never sleep beyond sunrise.

It was a painless change for us, really easy for Ginny, a really good sleeper.

When I worked I always kept a pad beside the bed, always amazed how you can wake up with a solution.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-21-2015, 12:19 AM   #37

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Sounds of nature seem to be the most calming. I'd like to know if anyone has a "nature's sounds machine" that you like that could be used at home or (on batteries) whilst camping. Yes, sometimes there are no nature sounds whilst camping. I have tried putting nature sounds on my MP3 player but have not found a track I really like.
I once had a CD of the sounds of the ocean. Quite calming.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:38 AM   #38

Name: Carol & Jim
Trailer: New 2015 16' Scamp
Georgia
Norm, Ginny - what additions to the cushion mattress in the 6' Scamp have given you the support/relaxation? Ours is being delivered tomorrow and I am a finicky sleeper. Thanks, Carol
Vanderscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:25 AM   #39

Florida
Carol and Jim,

We've used a number of different methods. Each has worked for us. In our first two trailers we left the bed up permanently. In those cases we topped the bed with a 3-4 inch mattress topper cut to fit. It was a sandwich of foam and memory phone less than $100.

In the Scamp we make the bed up every day and we've used two solutions. A layer of memory foam an inch or two thick. It is in two pieces and stores behind the couch back.

We have also used two tent, camping blow up mattresses about an inch thick. We have two different lengths, one dinette cushion length and one full length, each works. They go on top of the cushions under the sheet.

You can quickly make them any hardness. We store them behind the couch also. We don't use the couch as bunks, we have a closet built over one end, you can see it under Modifications /Preparing a 1991 Scamp. As a result we have disconnected the top hinges from the back of the couch making storage easy. Last year we took it a step further and removed the plywood from the top cushion.

Back to sleeping, both a mattress topper or the camping air mattresses work for us.

We have Scamp layout 4. We've also modified our table for daytime use.

Our feeling is it only takes minutes to make up the bed and provides better daytime utilization plus you don't have to make the bed look good for the daytime. The 1/2 table makes more comfortable sitting.

One other factor for me. On our home mattress or our Scamp cushions, my right hip felt sore after a night's sleep. THe doctor jokes I lost too much weight and my bursis sack lost it's 'protection'. (It's not arthritis.) Surprisingly adding the inch or so makes a difference and I wake without any soreness. (I ama on your side sleeper.)

It's a choice, the more comfortable solution is the thicker one though we find the thinner solution more than adequate. Neither is too expensive to try.

We have an expensive mattress at home and still use a 1-2 inch memory foam topper on it in deference to my hip.

The idea comes from David B. I think he has two short ones and stores them under the dinette cushion which makes the dinette more comfortable.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #40

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Norm, you mentioned "bugging-out" to northern Maine as an idea, which reminded me of a delightful book I read a while ago:
The Education Of A Yankee: Judson D. Hale: 9780872331839: Amazon.com: Books
You probably read it, and I bet a lot of people here might like it. I would not do it justice if I tried to tell more about it.
Paul
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote