Deep SLeep - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2015, 05:10 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Deep SLeep

I've been reading how to achieve deep sleep.

Here's one that doesn't apply to us but interesting:

A 2002 research study found that one in five pet owners sleep with their pets. The study also found that dogs and cats created one of the biggest impediments to a good night's sleep since the discovery of caffeine. One reason? The study found that 21 percent of the dogs and 7 percent of the cats snored!

Read more at 10 ways to achieve deep sleep | besthealthmag.ca

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:33 PM   #2

Florida
The importance of Sleep.

It's now partially clear to me why the last 15 years on the road has felt so good. More sleep.

I did not know how important good, regular sleep habits are to your health. Adults really need 8-9 hours of sleep. Not getting enough sleep makes you prone to all types of medical issues.

When we're traveling we get closer to 9 hours sleep, going to bed in the 9:00 PM time frame and waking naturally with sunrise, between 5-6 AM depending on sunrise and the weather.

RVing does have some subtle benefits, at least subtle to me.

How Much Sleep Do You Need? Sleep Cycles and Stages, Lack of Sleep, and How to Get the Hours You Need

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-19-2015, 06:13 PM   #3

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
I can't sleep with my dog. O'Malley likes to chase rabbits!

Who? Me?
Attached Thumbnails
O'Malley.jpg  
Old 08-19-2015, 09:02 PM   #4

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

A 2002 research study found that one in five pet owners sleep with their pets. The study also found that dogs and cats created one of the biggest impediments to a good night's sleep since the discovery of caffeine. One reason? The study found that 21 percent of the dogs and 7 percent of the cats snored!

A good night's sleep is elusive for many but these tips can go a long way toward making restful sleep a reality. For those who don't want to read the whole link to 10 Ways to Achieve Deep Sleep, listed are the "secrets", with a few of my comments added. Read the website for details. I think we can do most of these things with a few adaptations when camping in our FGRVs!
1. Create a Transition Routine (relax around the campfire)
2. Choose the Right Pillow(s) (I just discovered cotton-filled pillows from COSTCO. I also like my micro-bead filled Sobakawa pillow, heavenly!)
3. Eat a Banana Before Bed (yum!)
4. Take a Hot Bath Before Bedtime (The warmth of campfire (where allowed) can substitute)
5. Wear Pajamas (The most comfortable set you own)
6. Clean Your Bedroom and Paint it Soothing Sage Green (Soothing tan of most FGRVs should do)
7. Kick Your (Snoring) Dog or Cat out of the Bedroom (What about your snoring human bed partner? It's really not possible to "kick out" either in a camper trailer. Consider the sound of snoring peaceful and relaxing...well, it's worth a try.)
8. Give Yourself a Massage (or ask for a massage)
9. Sprinkle Sheets with Lavender Water (very doable in trailer)
10. Listen to an Audio Book While you Fall Asleep (My question is, "how do you stop the audio so you can pick up where you fell asleep? Reading a paper book, not a Nook, can help with sleep too.)

Happy Sleeping!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:22 PM   #5

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Sleep (and lack of sleep) can definitely affect your health. Babies and children who lack enough sleep can actually develop learning disabilities that will affect them all of their lives.

It is a fallacy that you can make up for lost sleep. If you only sleep 6 hours a night during the week, sleeping 12 hours on the weekend does not make up for some of that time lost. Sleep lost is sleep lost forever, and the effects can be long term.

My daughter (first born) was colicky and had great difficulty sleeping. Naps and nighttime were traumatic for the family. Fortunately, by the time my son was born, I had encountered the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child," and learned how important it was for babies to sleep. My son developed "healthy sleep habits," and was a placid, happy, and peaceful child.

All of this is true for adults too.

Gilda, I loved listening to audio books to go to sleep, but did have that terrible problem of finding out where I feel asleep. I *do* read my Nook before going to sleep. I set it to night-time mode, so the screen is black and the letters are white. I also dim the screen all the way, but the words are visible in the dark. The lack of that screen brightness prevents the stimulation that might keep you awake. Since I discovered an online library that loans all kinds of e-books, I've really had much more success falling asleep.

Now if I can just stop reading FGRV and go to bed at a decent time...

LP
Old 08-19-2015, 09:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I grew up on a dairy farm. We had fur kids (barn cats, etc.) The idea of sleeping with a "pet" makes my skin... crawl. Can't help it, I've never been acclimated where pets who don't talk human.... should share my sheets. I'm not a member of a pack....
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:22 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I grew up on a diary farm. We had fur kids (barn cats, etc.) The idea of sleeping with a "pet" makes my skin... crawl. Can't help it, I've never been acclimated where pets who don't talk human.... should share my sheets. I'm not a member of a pack....
LOL, I am the leader of the pack so 3 dogs sleep on the floor under the table.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:42 PM   #8

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
The study found that 21 percent of the dogs and 7 percent of the cats snored!
I once had a dog that did snore at times, I'm not sure if the snoring or my laughing at his snoring is what kept me awake. But then laughter is good for the heart. Right?
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:07 AM   #9

Florida
One nice feature of our UP app is that it keeps a running record of our sleep habits. I'm going to try to correlate the record with our lifestyle to see what we can do to sleep more effectively.

Today we have a pre-dawn airport pick up and it appears we both slept lightly for a good part of the night, awaiting a call and actually setting our alarm, It was the least deep sleep we've had.

Shortly, with our up coming closing on our house, we'll be back to Scamp living, that should improve our sleep. Selling the house is truly a simplification of our lives.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-20-2015, 05:18 AM   #10

Name: Sands
Trailer: Escape
Arizona
We have 3 dogs; small, medium, & large. They don't sleep in bed with us, but do sleep in the bedroom. The medium one snores like an avalanche, so we can attest to the accuracy (at least in our very small sample size) of Norm's 21% of dogs snore figure. As a hypnotherapist I've helped many partners of snoring people/dogs find restful sleep through altering their perception to accept the sound as being peaceful and comforting instead of disruptive and aggravating. See last part of tip #7 of Gilda's post above. This technique also works for traffic noise, appliance noise (furnace or fridge that sounds like heavy equipment starting up), or any other noise that is a normal and repetitive part of your night background ambiance. Sleep is good!
Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:24 AM   #11

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
Sure wish an audio book could be set to stop after 10, 20, or 30 minutes. I love listening to talk radio and it delcines in volume and turns off at my setting.
JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:27 AM   #12

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
One nice feature of our UP app is that it keeps a running record of our sleep habits. I'm going to try to correlate the record with our lifestyle to see what we can do to sleep more effectively.

Today we have a pre-dawn airport pick up and it appears we both slept lightly for a good part of the night, awaiting a call and actually setting our alarm, It was the least deep sleep we've had.

Shortly, with our up coming closing on our house, we'll be back to Scamp living, that should improve our sleep. Selling the house is truly a simplification of our lives.
I have to ask. You are actually selling your home and living out of your trailer? Do you have a time frame for that and looking for another home. I've told you before, I love reading your posts. Wish there was a 'like' click for posts. I admire your lifestyle. You should have a blog. Or maybe you do already?
JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:13 AM   #13

Florida
Change

Janice and Rick,

I don't have a blog but have decided to write a book. Mostly for my amusement and as a form of personal expression titled by Ellpea a member of this forum: Musing on the Road. I've only been at it for 3 days and have made writing a part of morning routine. Ginny sleeps an hour later than me so it gives me a morning hour.

The amount of time we live per year in the trailer will probably not change much. Presently we average about 7.5 months per year, typically from November through June. Our peak year was 310 consecutive days. Last year we bought a park model in an Escapee park in Florida. Though we expected a lot of visitors the first year we find it's happening again. It looks like we'll be trading winter travel for Spring, Summer and Fall travel, at least in the short term.

We like Florida, the foods are fresh, plentiful and inexpensive, the weather warm, we're surrounded by RV friends, and we get more exercise, the park is flat for morning walks and the pool is heated. Though we live in Orange grove and cattle region, there is more to do than we ever have time for doing. I think we'll settle in just fine to the new routine.

The Florida home is a lot lower maintenance than the NH home. In FL the grass is cut, the pool maintained and the cost per month is well less than our NH real estate taxes alone. We consciously choose this situation, seeking a place for the time we may no longer be able to travel. One of the most important reasons for the choice were the people, for Ginny every thing is about people, for me it's more about quiet time, time to think and learn.

The year we spent 310 consecutive days in the Scamp was very easy. Ginny never complains and always looks for the best in any situation. For example it's not that our Scamp bed is small, but rather that we get to sleep close together. Her whole view of life and people is contagious. After 57 years of Ginny and the whole McLaughlin clan I've happily absorbed some of it. In the beginning though I choose Ginny for this very attitude, when first married I resisted change, now I see it's value and power.

We have not deeply considered looking for another home, though I'd buy one in Newfoundland in minutes. Ginny is opposed to buying in NL. We could compromise on a 'bug-out' home in the relative safety of Northern Maine, away from the national insanity, maybe a family location, a small farm like, shoreline place.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-20-2015, 06:14 AM   #14

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the market
Missouri
Deep sleep and pets

Quote:

Norm and Ginny,
The study is right! I do have pets and sleep so much better if they are in their own space. Which makes my trailer needs a tad bigger than if they could share w me.
KC Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:17 AM   #15

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the market
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
I once had a dog that did snore at times, I'm not sure if the snoring or my laughing at his snoring is what kept me awake. But then laughter is good for the heart. Right?
You made me laugh Pat!
KC Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:38 AM   #16

Florida
Cathy,

I was actually surprised to read that dogs and cats snore. We had a number of pets when the children lived at home (and actually have a dog and cat living with us this month) but I have never heard one snore.

The dog is really old, 16 years, and scratches at our bedroom door at night occasionally, wanting to go outside. Not something I would like as an RVer but handle well in the short term. We always wonder about the RVers walking their dogs in the rain.

I do note that pets, particularly dogs, are great ice breakers with strangers. Almost like a permission card to safely talk to another human. I notice the same thing in Laundromats where people will talk to each other doing the same task.

Our view of pets is that for people that travel as much as us, there is no room for pets. We use to travel in a fair sized motorhome and we had the same feeling in the motorhome.

Fortunately everyone is different and has their different reasons for what they do.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-20-2015, 07:21 AM   #17

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Our 11 year old, 9 pound kitty cat snores so loudly! She also wakes my husband up every night at 2:30am and "asks" to be put to bed in her bed, on top of the dryer, in the laundry room. He always carries her in and tucks her in bed. It's ridiculous because she is quite capable of taking herself to bed! Funny how when he is out of town, she nevers wakes me to do the same!

One of our favorite things about camping is the incredible sleep that we get. We think it is the fresh air, lack of distraction and ability to go to bed at a reasonable time and wake when rested without an alarm. Whatever the reason, we love camping sleep!

Also, Norm, I can't wait to read your book!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:39 AM   #18

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
One of our favorite things about camping is the incredible sleep that we get. We think it is the fresh air, lack of distraction and ability to go to bed at a reasonable time and wake when rested without an alarm. Whatever the reason, we love camping sleep!
I'm interested in the quality of sleep in our trailer, particularly considering the importance of sleep. I think the escape from distraction is a huge factor in making road life so satisfactory.

I did not get to write today. Last night's sleep was the poorest we've had since we received our sleep monitors. WIth the early morning airport pickup we did not sleep well and slept less. AS a result I had to break my sleep/exercise/writing routine. Honestly I feel a little out of sorts, just completing a nap as suggested when you don't get a good or enough sleep. For me naps aren't enough. Maybe by afternoon I can catch up. How does one get a good nap? It's something I've hardly ever do.

Thanks for the kind words.

Sleepy Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-20-2015, 09:20 AM   #19

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
My dog sleeps at my feet in the trailer and for a few minutes in my home bed till I kick her out. Reason: she makes me hot and I'm already in perimenopause! Ha ha!

I enjoyed her by my feet during my last camping trip though as it was cold and then she warmed me up. Even though I do it, I agree that you most likely get better sleep without a furry friend on your bed.

We are human animals and probably sleep better with another human, rather than a doggie. So most nights now I either kick her out or she realizes I'm over it and leaves on her own accord. She recently began snoring but that doesn't bother me honestly. It's kinda cute. In dog years she's my age so I guess it comes with the territory. I don't know if I snore as I'm single.

Getting 8-9 hours is definitely the way to go, but I suspect many people get much less. Before the advent of electricity, 11 hours was the norm. So I would venture to say many are sleep deprived because we can do so much more in darkness that lighting and electronics allow for.

Health detriments to poor sleep are well documented. Most I e read about are weight gain as we try to gather energy from food to make up for fatigue.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:49 AM   #20

Florida
I agree about the weight gain and tired eating. While starting our last company with a few other guys we would work very long hours and invariably eat sugar candy..we would have one caramel candy with a white sugar center, our secret power pill.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16