Delux vs standard. Are wood cabinets worth the price? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-27-2016, 11:35 AM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We have a 25 year old Scamp, I believe pre- deluxe availability. However we replaced every Scamp door except the bathroom with wood, we added 5 drawers cut into the fiberglass all with wood fronts, a full width over the dinette wooden cabinet with 3 wood doors and an over the foot of the couch wooden cabinet with two wooden doors.

I like the fiberglass but the wood seems to add a little life to the interior.

Our dinette table was came with OSB, we also replaced that with a folding wooden table, designed to sit 2 and fold our for four) that uses the Scamp table hardware.

If I were buying new I wood probably buy the deluxe.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:54 AM   #22

Name: RB
Trailer: 1992 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Virginia
The deluxe interior 13er I had a look at had the birch interior. I realize that dark cabinets are fashionable this week, but I'd stick with the birch - it's bright and welcoming.

Our Casita has red oak cabinet doors installed by the previous owner. They do pretty up an otherwise rather cheap-looking interior. I think I would have declared a war on 'Casita wood' if I'd had to deal with it...
steelypip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:54 AM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
...If I were buying new I wood probably buy the deluxe.
Pun intended, I'm sure!...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:58 PM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Pun intended, I'm sure!...
More like my brain stuck in a loop.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:14 PM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Minogue View Post
I have a Captain (the Polish trailer no longer imported) and all the cabinetry is hollow to save weight. I was told by a trailer manufacturer that it is a lot more labor-intensive to make hollow doors than use solid material.

Solid wood is really heavy and I personally think it is all about weight when you are hauling a trailer. If it is sitting permanently on a site, that's different. I even saw an Airstream for sale that had a ceramic tile floor!! I can't imagine how much weight that added.
The only time I see where the added weight of wood cabinets in a Scamp is an issue is if you are towing at the weight limit for your vehicle . As far as ceramic flooring goes ,it may be heavier but it holds up to abuse from sand and dirt far better than vinyl or carpeting and is easy to clean. I prefer to have my trailer be the way I want it versus having my tow vehicle get to be the deciding factor.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:37 PM   #26

Name: Tim
Trailer: Scamp 16' Deluxe side bath
Minnesota
We love our 2012 16' Deluxe wood interior. When purchasing our new Scamp in 2012, we spent over 4 hours in Backus touring all the available models set out for seeing. In the spring they had over 10 or 12 to look at. Kept coming back to the Deluxe model because it just felt much warmer and cozier to us. We dismissed the extra cost knowing that over the coming many years of ownership, the add on seemed very worth it. In 4 years time and 20,000 miles.............not a loose screw or malfunction to be found anywhere in the fine cabinets.

You should spend some time in each style and just trust how you feel.
swenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:08 PM   #27

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
We have had several fiberglass trailers and the only one I really miss is the Scamp 13 deluxe, it had a special place in my heart felt so warm and cozy like others have said.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:39 PM   #28

Name: Kristen
Trailer: in the market
Colorado
Thanks for the info. I am heavily leaning towards wood. I just don't want to cheap out and regret it later. I recognize quality craftsmanship costs money and takes time
indymoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:11 AM   #29

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
floyd,

Someone had filled the screw heads with calk. I had to remove the calk from rusty screw heads. Some of the screws had to be removed with modified locking pliers. This was on at 1988 19 Deluxe and some of the cabinet doors had to be reglued and refinished. I was lucky that none of the cabinets were rotted beyond holding screws. I was far from being the first owner of the 1988, when I purchased the 5er Deluxe the past neglect came with it.This why I opted for fiberglass cabinets and rivets. Hopefully, my experiences are not typical of older Deluxe Scamps.

BobH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
While I think it is prudent to stay current with the maintenance of anything you own, I can't think of any structural maintenance which would be particular to the wood interior.
We have replaced our snap caps (no underlying washers or screws) once in 12years and we clean and treat the wood once a year.
I spent less than 30 minutes total on the former, and about 20 minutes a year on the latter.
BobH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:46 AM   #30

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH. View Post
floyd,

Someone had filled the screw heads with calk. I had to remove the calk from rusty screw heads. Some of the screws had to be removed with modified locking pliers. This was on at 1988 19 Deluxe and some of the cabinet doors had to be reglued and refinished. I was lucky that none of the cabinets were rotted beyond holding screws. I was far from being the first owner of the 1988, when I purchased the 5er Deluxe the past neglect came with it.This why I opted for fiberglass cabinets and rivets. Hopefully, my experiences are not typical of older Deluxe Scamps.

BobH.
I think 1986 was the first year for the deluxe. A deluxe from the 1980's "wood" be very rare. I have seen a few survivors, all in excellent condition. Oddly enough the 13s from that era most commonly have the counter and cabinetry extending around into the area where the shower would be with a small front window above the counter and a closet further to the left. These trailers are like little jewel boxes with amazing character and beauty. The wood ages well with an impressive luster and a cozy cabin feel.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote