Denied a tent site? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
another reason to "go west, young man, go west". It is getting too crowded here in the East. I remember camping in the Badlands and looking at the stars, it was better than watching tv!!! And stopping in Death Valley, getting out of the car and listening, the silence was deafening!! Someday that will all go away!!

Old 05-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #16

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Some of the systems are set up that certain areas are considered tent accessable since you may not be able to fit or drive a trailer in. So I would say that this is campsite specific.

We do camp every year on a favourite campsite that is considered "tent only" with the online reservation system. We are able to reserve the site by calling the campground directly and speaking with them over the phone. One of the concerns is that problems might arise if you reserved a site and you could not get your trailer onto it. In peak season you might be out of luck and the site sits empty.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #17

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
Yep I was denied a tent site last Feb. down in Florida state campground so had to go to another campground, but it all worked out.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #18

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
another reason to "go west, young man, go west". It is getting too crowded here in the East. I remember camping in the Badlands and looking at the stars, it was better than watching tv!!! And stopping in Death Valley, getting out of the car and listening, the silence was deafening!! Someday that will all go away!!
Death Valley in the winter is a great place.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #19

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Tim, when do you pick up your Parkliner?? Got any plans for your trip?
Old 05-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #20
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
We have no city water connection nor do we bring a power cord. So being forced into an RV site so they can make me pay a higher fee makes me grumpy. Of course registration fees, pet fees, premium site fees and all the other creative money makers that seem to be popping up makes me grumpy as well. I like the place where you pick your site, put the money in the envelope, and drop it in the tube, and wave to the host when we walk the dog after dinner. Raz
Old 05-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #21

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
Melissa, I will be picking up the trailer @ the Penn. gathering end of June. No real plans for a long trip this year as I have a fatherinlaw who is in bad health. But we are going to try some short ones hopefully this year, thanks for asking.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #22

Name: Tina
Trailer: Burro
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
We have no city water connection nor do we bring a power cord. So being forced into an RV site so they can make me pay a higher fee makes me grumpy.
I hear you. We enjoy dry camping and do not want to pay for 'ammeneties' we will not use.

I don't mind staying at the RV parks on military bases with full hookup. The cost is cheap and it gets us where we are going despite the lack of ambiance.

I grew up with our family having a small trailer, and 99% time we dry camped. I can only remember having AC and city water one night on a 2 week vacation through Oregon and Washington. I think it wsa a lot cheaper for my parents as well.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #23

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Am I to understand that you had a wheeled camper and wanted to park it in a Tent Site?
Old 05-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #24

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I like the place where you pick your site, put the money in the envelope, and drop it in the tube, and wave to the host when we walk the dog after dinner. Raz
Ya, that's my kind of place. Or like Death Valley, stick my credit card in the slot, punch a few buttons. Then watch the dogs walking their owners. The places where I pay half price are great.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #25

Oregon
Registry
Talk about being denied a tent site. Just as bad. All the information about this AZ state park sounded good. Electric, but much cheaper price if you didn't hook up. OK, a bit after dark we showed up, all the signs say otherwise, full price even if you don't use the electricity.
We drove on down the road a bit and found a Wal-Mart. Next headed on to NM.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #26

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Park a self contained camper in a tent site then sooner or later the grey or black tank drips or the owner empties the tanks in one of those wheeled contraptions to take over to the dump site and of course something drips on the ground and there you have it, a contaminated Tent site.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #27

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Park a self contained camper in a tent site then sooner or later the grey or black tank drips or the owner empties the tanks in one of those wheeled contraptions to take over to the dump site and of course something drips on the ground and there you have it, a contaminated Tent site.
What's "self contained"?? Oh, I know you have a potty on board. Hmmm... I wonder how tenters manage without a potty in their tent?
Old 05-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #28

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
USUALLY tent sites have shorter driveways for the site so there's more run for big tents. That could be part of the reason they don't want to park a tug and tow in a tent site. Not always, for certain.

A lot of this is logistics and not everyone is honest. Sure Sgt Park Ranger, I have water and electric ports, but I promise to NOT hook up... honest and that means the Park Ranger or host or whatever, has to double check every single site. It's easier to charge for a site, whether you use the services or not, than it is for someone to walk around and see if you're using something you're not paying for.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote