Denied a tent site? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #29

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Byron said: What's "self contained"?? Oh, I know you have a potty on board. Hmmm... I wonder how tenters manage without a potty in their tent?

Yes I do have a potty and shower on board. The tent campers get up and walk to the camp ground facilities to do their business and do not contaminate the camping area where they lay down to sleep.

I wouldn't think of invading a tent camper site to park my self contained camper. It is about respecting them and the camp ground rules.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:56 AM   #30
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

A lot of this is logistics and not everyone is honest. Sure Sgt Park Ranger, I have water and electric ports, but I promise to NOT hook up... honest and that means the Park Ranger or host or whatever, has to double check every single site. It's easier to charge for a site, whether you use the services or not, than it is for someone to walk around and see if you're using something you're not paying for.
In my experience most folks are honest. Might be cheaper to let the few dishonest ones through than to pay all those official watchers. And a good experience creates repeat customers.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:20 AM   #31

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I'm sorry, I can't understand why this is even being discussed.
"Tents Only" somehow isn't code for "Small RV's are special and can also park here". We were just in Yosemite with our Scamp and they enforce the "Tents Only" rule to the letter. In fact, if there are open tent sites, and you have an RV, "Sorry". To further keep RV's out of tent sites a number of Yosemite tenting areas require that you park some distance away from the actual site. I agree that generators and hotel size RV's are offensive in a National Park setting, but that's what we got..
Old 05-31-2012, 08:33 AM   #32

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
"Tents Only" somehow isn't code for "Small RV's are special and can also park here". We were just in Yosemite with our Scamp and they enforce the "Tents Only" rule to the letter. In fact, if there are open tent sites, and you have an RV, "Sorry". To further keep RV's out of tent sites a number of Yosemite tenting areas require that you park some distance away from the actual site. I agree that generators and hotel size RV's are offensive in a National Park setting, but that's what we got..
"x2"
Old 05-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #33

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
I wouldn't think of invading a tent camper site to park my self contained camper. It is about respecting them and the camp ground rules.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz; And a good experience creates repeat [B
customers[/B].
You are right, but who's "good experience? You the travel trailer in a tent site or the tenter's who don't want to be camped next to a travel trailer? Campgrounds/rvparks have to think of the big picture. Not ( your ) big picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
"Tents Only" somehow isn't code for "Small RV's are special and can also park here"..
AMEN!

For those that still don't get it. My suggestion is, Buy a piece of property or exsisting campground/rvpark and set it up for how you want your guest to camp. Then post back in a year and let us know how it's going! Your idea's of how it should be are not realistic in the world of campgrounds/rvparks!

Oh and good luck with that
Old 05-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #34

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Might be cheaper to let the few dishonest ones through than to pay all those official watchers. And a good experience creates repeat customers.
You are probable correct that most people are honest but in my experience most state, provincial and National Parks are not having problems with filling them during prime camping season so I dont think they really need to worry to much about that.

I agree with the others that we have an RV no matter how small, that is not a tent.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:04 AM   #35

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
My take from the discussion is this: if you want to trailer in a tent site, it doesn't cost anything to ask. Maybe they'll let you, maybe they won't. But don't be upset or shocked if they say "no". Does that sound about right?
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:17 AM   #36

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
............. Does that sound about right?
Yes, but why miss a chance to turn a simple question into a 10 page quibble?
Old 05-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #37

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
I always request a tent site for my trailer when I stay at Morro Dunes RV Park in Morro Bay. It has water and electric and that's all I need. My trailer doesn't take up any more room than a family size tent and I unhook on the pavement and push it in on the jack wheel until its right where I want it.
I enjoy my camping not sitting between 2 of those big boxes with push out rooms.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #38
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
I was a back packer long before I owned a trailer. I get the tent site argument. Where I take issue is when every site that doesn't have water and electric becomes a tent site solely to increase revenues. I am seeing some public campgrounds approaching $35 to $40 a night. That's getting a little much. Then again I suppose there is always Walmart.. Raz
Old 05-31-2012, 11:48 AM   #39

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
One can always go to the 100% rustic sites with nothing but a hand pump and outhouse. Then pray that no one in a jumbo with a gennie they run 24/7 for AC shows up. Grrrr. Must not put sugar in gas tank, no bad bad bad.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #40

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Does that sound about right?
I agree Mike,

I think it all depends on the campground. I remember more than one private place we stopped at in the Maritime Provinces had everybody lined up by their lengths, in what I consider essentially parking lots with a bit of grass. They tended to put the tents off to the side.

The tent area for a campground in Nova Scotia was a huge field surrounded by trees, accessable only through the parking lot of RV's and trailers, row upon row. That is where we first met up with Luc and Tina from Quebec when they had their 13' boler. Our 2 little bolers were side by side in a mowed grassy area larger than campground for all the "big rigs" combined. We and the dogs were very happy.

Rather than discuss the varying opinions of whether or not campgrounds should or should not allow our small trailers on tent sites. How about we post which campgrounds allow it and which campgrounds don't. I think a big part of the discussion relates to the style of campground. Which range from what I consider to be parking lots putting people row upon row with nothing but a little space between each tent/trailer/RV. To the style we see in many Ontario Provincial parks, which can be large sites offset by an equivalent amount of treed buffer between them.

As for contaminating the tent sites, I can't tell you how often I have observed a tent camper piddling somewhere on their site or dumping their dishwater into the bushes or right at the communal fresh water tap.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:32 PM   #41

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
When traveling last summer between WY and FL we found were allowed tent sites when all the RV sites were full at a couple of CG. Had our trailer not been so little I dont know if that would have been the case. I figured they'd rather make some money off the tent site rather then let it go unused and lose revenue. We never stopped before 10pm and sometimes as late as 1am (stupid GPS couldnt find the CG) so that may have been a factor as well knowing it's not very likely tenters would show up and want our spot that late. Also, there were plenty of tent sites available although we did get the last one in one instance.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #42

Name: Art
Trailer: Helite
Byron said: What's "self contained"?? Oh, I know you have a potty on board. Hmmm... I wonder how tenters manage without a potty in their tent?

Darwin Said: Yes I do have a potty and shower on board. The tent campers get up and walk to the camp ground facilities to do their business and do not contaminate the camping area where they lay down to sleep.

I say: Wouldn't you think a retired engineer could afford a self contained unit?