Denied a tent site? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2012, 05:21 AM   #61

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chet View Post
Of all places, we had a reservation at Yosemite (Crane Flat campground). We called in advance saying we would be checking in late and they assured us it was cool. We got to the closed ranger booth and there was a marker board posted with all late arrivals camp site numbers ... but not ours! It was getting late and we were worried so we finally found an open spot we liked and I was able to get the U Haul into a nice site and all set up. Next morning the ranger came by to check us in and was very excited at how cute and small it was ... AND that we got it into a tent site! We had no idea and I offered to move not wishing for any trouble but she said we did a great job of getting it in there and no need to move. Ya never know!

By the way ... we're going back to Crane Flat in 3 weeks to say the least!
But the question is? Will you be in the same tent site or a different one?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #62

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
Good question! To be honest, no I had to engage the 4x4 to get us nestled in there in between these big redwoods in the first place! It was dark and our very first trip with our (then, new to us) UHaul. We used huge rocks because our leveling blocks were useless on the uneven terrain and I hadn't yet bought my BAL leveler. It was a rough start - but we had a BLAST!

One thing I always do at places I intend to return to, is get the site map and walk the campground with a highlighter pen and circle my favorite spots for next time. I hole punch each map and keep them in my onboard "Egg Binder" (which has everything from parts manuals to copies of trip logs and receipts).

This time I intend to get a much nicer tent site!
Kind of kidding there ... it appears that we will have plenty of choices of where to set up. Once there, i'll politely ask the ranger if we can use an ideal open tent site (someone here correctly mentioned the tent sites always seem to be the best ones!) but make the reservation for the approved tailer site. I feel it was more than likely a one-off last time and our ranger might not be as laid back this time, so its not worth the gamble of getting all the way to Yosemite and into the park to find out there are no approved trailer spots left and we are SOL. I've learned that striking up a friendly chat with the ranger at check-in can go a long way ... but also to plan for the worst and be pleasantly surprised when it doesn't happen!
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #63

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
When we tent camped, as Jen, we were often in an RV site with electric. We did stay in the tent area at Lake Harlan in Nebraska for the week and we had the whole big nice tent area to ourselves and the best view next to the water. No one would drive into that tent area because it was not suitable for that.

If someone paid for an RV site with electric but wanted to be in a tent area, a park might be more amenable to allowing a trailer. But the tent area we were in was all grass and obviously was not a place to drive anything. People do not necessarily expect vehicles in the tent area, depending on how it is set up.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #64

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
At Mid-Ohio we were told that we MUST camp in the tent area, until we proved that we had both gray and black water tanks, then we got the spot we paid for.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #65
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
At Mid-Ohio we were told that we MUST camp in the tent area, until we proved that we had both gray and black water tanks, then we got the spot we paid for.
Any idea what their reasoning is?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #66

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
One thing I always do at places I intend to return to, is get the site map and walk the campground with a highlighter pen and circle my favorite spots for next time. I hole punch each map and keep them in my onboard "Egg Binder" (which has everything from parts manuals to copies of trip logs and receipts).
What a great idea! I'll have to think about how to do that but keeping the file electronically as I hate paperwork. Maybe do it as you do and then scan the map in and put it in a file.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #67

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
What a great idea! I'll have to think about how to do that but keeping the file electronically as I hate paperwork. Maybe do it as you do and then scan the map in and put it in a file.

Scanner works pretty good.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #68

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question Just my speculation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I suspect that they wanted to not have to turn away a bulgemobile to accommodate something as tiny as a Scamp 13' since full hook-up sites tend to be large.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #69

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
No idea really since there are porta pottis in both places and no hook-ups.
What further frustrated me was that they only allowed racers and crew to use the dump station on our way out.We had raced there in the past and worked corners so we were surprised that we had to leave with full tanks. Certainly the spectator/camping charge for the three days was plenty high to justify access to the dump station.
Still... Having the Scamp backed up to the railing on turn one was a pleasant and lasting memory.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #70

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
Actually, Bobbie and Byron thank you both ... great ideas. Since I have a scanner /email machine at work, I can scan my documents as PDFs and email them immediately. I can save all the PDFs on my iPad in a separate photo library since the egg binder kinda lives in the egg and often while we are down the road we say "which campground had this or that, etc.?" and we have to wait to stop to get the binder. Having the iPad in the truck with scanned docs will really be handy for quick decision making!
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #71

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
No idea really since there are porta pottis in both places and no hook-ups.
so we were surprised that we had to leave with full tanks. Certainly the spectator/camping charge for the three days was plenty high to justify access to the dump station.
Just spent the week-end at a Provincial park that has no connections at any of the sites and the nightly fee was pretty steep $30 & you had to pay $5 to use the dump station on your way out.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #72

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
Yep I was denied a tent site last Feb. down in Florida state campground so had to go to another campground, but it all worked out.
Tim,
I am curious to know which Florida SP said no....if you don't mind telling us.
And which other campground said yes?
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #73

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chet View Post
Actually, Bobbie and Byron thank you both ... great ideas. Since I have a scanner /email machine at work, I can scan my documents as PDFs and email them immediately. I can save all the PDFs on my iPad in a separate photo library since the egg binder kinda lives in the egg and often while we are down the road we say "which campground had this or that, etc.?" and we have to wait to stop to get the binder. Having the iPad in the truck with scanned docs will really be handy for quick decision making!
Paul, if you have a smart phone or pad there is a free app that I use called "Scan to pdf" that takes a picture from your phone and converts it to pdf. I used to use it for receipt when traveling on business. Save the files on your phone for quick reference, including campground maps.

Steve
Old 06-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #74

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I wish I'd remembered this idea myself... duh. Well, next trip!
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote