DesertHawk's Lance 1985 Travel Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2014, 01:49 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
DesertHawk's Lance 1985 Travel Trailer

DesertHawk & his LadyHawk bought a Lance TT Model 1985. It's 23' 9" from tongue to bumper, 18' 10" floor length, 8 feet wide and with a good sized slide with large dinette (8 people, maybe) which sleeps two with ease. Almost Queen long @ 78" & 55" wide (a little wider than a Full - 53").

After our camping trip last September was cut short by having trouble with my heart & with me having quadruple open heart bypass surgery on 9/11/13, I am doing very well and want to be able to do more camping & traveling. We would like to be able to take our grandson & our daughter with us more easily and have room for her hubby as well. In another year & a half, our son & his family (three grand-daughters) will be moving down to the lower 48 somewhere, we want to be able to camp with them as well.

Our son kept encouraging us to get one large enough to walk around the bed. After looking at several TT, we decided a Lance 1985 had what we wanted & still be able to tow with our current tow.

The L-1985's walk around Full Queen (not RV Queen) in the front met our wants to a T. Lots of storage under the bed as well all around rig. Tows well with out Ford F150 with WDH. Easier to back the rig up than the Scamp.

Room for us plus we can have our daughter & grandson camp with us which we have. Very nice having them.

Found L-1985s in ABQ & one in Tucson. Lazydays RV in Tucson bid lower. We bought it last week, 30 April. It is even a 2015 model year. Many of the RVs seem to be dated almost a year ahead of time.

We are extremely happy with it. We added solar to it before we left Tucson, should be nice. Seemed to work very well the couple days we were able to use it. The Lance is extremely comfortable & has met & surpassed out wants & expectations. The Sealy mattress was OK, but we added 3" of Memory Foam. Now it is very comfortable.

I have enjoyed reading reports & giving reports on this Forum, having found the people very nice here (even though I did not have a Casita). It is my plan to keep come here to see what folks are doing & adding my two cents now & again. I hope I will still be welcome to do so.

Still have the Scamp (until it sells), but the Lance has fiberglass walls, just not molded fiberglass. Not as small as the Scamp, but not humongous.

Not advising anyone to go to anything, just staying our wants & needs have changed and how we solved it for us. Looked on the web the Nash TT. Made by the Northwood Mfg. who also make Arctic Fox. Although shorter & with no slide or walk around bed, we a little heavy, we reasoned for out tow. Seems to be very well made rigs.

Really have Enjoyed the Scamp (all the eggs are a unique way to travel & camp), but it was time for us to go for a larger size. We will miss the Scamp.

We were able to do two nights camping at Chiricahua National Monument out from Willcox on the way home. Chiricahua Nat'l Mon't is so very dry at this time. The fires they had in 2012 really left it changed as well. Much more barren.

Had a great time. Learned a lot about the Lance. Campground Host was very helpful in backing the camper. He was a retired truck driver. A very good host. Did a little hiking. Enjoyed being with our grandson & our daughter.

We also stayed a couple of nights at the Lazydays KOA RV Park (courtesy of Lazydays RV Sales). Enjoyed the pool. Grandson stayed the first night without his mom. She spend the next one as well with us. They got to swim twice, I didn't due to expecting I'd have to go pickup the Lance after the solar was installed. Which I did.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:43 AM   #2

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Adrian,
Congats on getting the Lance. It sounds like it will be better suited to your needs than the Scamp. Nothin' wrong with movin' on up And spending quality time with the kids.
Stay well!
Phil
Old 05-08-2014, 05:08 AM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Ones needs change, good luck with the Lance, they were on our short list, great floor plans and construction.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:28 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian W View Post
...I have enjoyed reading reports & giving reports on this Forum, having found the people very nice here (even though I did not have a Casita). It is my plan to keep come here to see what folks are doing & adding my two cents now & again. I hope I will still be welcome to do so...
Some of the people on this forum have been very nice to me also, and I don't have a Casita either.

Hope you stick around.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:38 AM   #5

A few photos of the Lance 1985

Old 05-09-2014, 12:51 AM   #6

Old 05-09-2014, 12:57 AM   #7

Chiricahua Nat'l Mon't Campground

Old 05-09-2014, 04:36 AM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I think your bed is bigger than my Trillium . I enjoyed seeing the pictures. Thanks for sharing. Safe travels. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:54 AM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Adrian, I have had 2 Lances in past 4 years, a 1880 and a 1575. Lance makes a nice unit and it looks like you may have a good one. My 1880 roof had bubbles, yours seems to be okay. My slide went out on the 1575 and there was no back up. Hopefully you have a manual back up to the Schwintek slides. In addition, you are not that far from Lancaster, Ca factory. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
For many years folks have disengaged the slide and lock in with a two by four in order to drive to the nearest service center. Schwintek Youtube even shows you how. DesertHawk i sure do enjoy all your posts and trip reports and of course your art work. Congrats
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #11

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
It's heresy, I tell you, heresy!

Good thing the FGRV folks are so kind to us heretics. Maybe they see us as sheep that have gone astray, but might someday return to the fold.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My slide went out on the 1575 and there was no back up. Hopefully you have a manual back up to the Schwintek slides. In addition, you are not that far from Lancaster, Ca factory.
Thanks! Good to have a plan in case of something going wrong. Made us do some searching.

The Factory in Lancaster, CA, Is that for Lance or Schwintek?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
For many years folks have disengaged the slide and lock in with a two by four in order to drive to the nearest service center. Schwintek Youtube even shows you how.
Thank also for this information. Made me do some searching.

A little of what I found:

The Owner's Manuel for the Inwall Slideout tells how to override the unit as well.

More electrical gadgets & what not, the more to go wrong.

Thanks again you guys. Always learning from these Forum sites.

Thanks all for your Kind Words, Makes me a Happier Camper.

DesertHawk
Old 05-10-2014, 05:52 AM   #13

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Lancaster, Ca is where Lance products are made. The Schwintek video is nice if you have access to the motors. On some Lance models, you do not. Mine was stuck retracted and they had to remove exterior fiberglass panels to get access to the motor. It was a $2k job on a 90 day old trailer. I had to pay and submit my receipt for reimbursement. If the motor fails the electronic override will not work. If I could have gotten to the motor then I may have been able to release it manually, but the motor is not accessible on the 1575, by design!! I do not feel it is necessary to carry 2x4 to prop up a wall in order to tow it home, very dangerous if the lumber moves and the slide extends while under tow. An accident waiting to happen.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:04 AM   #14
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian W View Post

I have enjoyed reading reports & giving reports on this Forum, having found the people very nice here (even though I did not have a Casita). It is my plan to keep come here to see what folks are doing & adding my two cents now & again. I hope I will still be welcome to do so.

Still have the Scamp (until it sells), but the Lance has fiberglass walls, just not molded fiberglass. Not as small as the Scamp, but not humongous.

Not advising anyone to go to anything, just staying our wants & needs have changed and how we solved it for us.
Congrats on the find. Not a glass egg but it sure has open spaces.

Agree. This is a fine RVing community here. I have made a number of new friends. Sure there is a very small minority of loose canons/high maintenance housewife types but you find them on any forum. They soon get tired of their hullabooism's and move on.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote