Did you trade up from a tent? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #29

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
Darn, I traded down from a 28ft 5th wheel to a camper van for solo camping then added the egg for those easy trips to the park with spouse.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #30

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
I traded down from hotel/motel rooms, but way UP from a stick-built to a Boler 17. Now another upwards trade to a Bigfoot 21

Old 06-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #31

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Been camping a long time, tent campers with nothing but beds, some pop-ups with kitchens, tents for awhile, then a motor home (school bus conversion). When gas got too expensive for motor home, just fell back on all my tenting stuff. Could throw that in a utility trailer and go but that loading and unloading gets to be a pain as does the ground after a bit.... say 5 minutes or so.

Hoping the egg will be the sweet spot. Can leave it mostly loaded and ready to go, up off the ground to sleep but generally treating it like a hard sided tent without so much to maintain as a self contained unit, and not killing me at the gas pump.

Wife reminds me to not forget that some of the best camping spots are at the Sheraton and Holiday Inn parks.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #32

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post

Wife reminds me to not forget that some of the best camping spots are at the Sheraton and Holiday Inn parks.
Agree fully!

In fact, we've been known to take a trip, towing the Boler and stay in some hotels anyway. (a few years ago, we did one trip - about a week long - and we never once slept in the trailer!)
Old 06-09-2012, 12:22 AM   #33

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Tenting mostly for many years, all the while looking down our noses at those in fancy RVs as a bunch of wussies with more money than brains. Then I began to notice how long it took to pack and unpack, especially when on the move. Also tenting in urban areas just sucks because of the noise and esthetically displeasing campsites. Getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom was also an ordeal unless I was out in the boonies. My first trailer was an old 16' stickie with aluminum siding and roofing that peeled off like a tin can while its wood floor rotted away and collapsed beneath us. It was enough to get me hooked on trailers and when I found our boler in a hayfield with a for sale sign on it I had to investigate further. Now we are finishing its restoration and are very happy with the way we can camp most anywhere, cook, eat and shower and use the toilet anytime we wish.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #34

Name: Dorothy
Trailer: currently shopping
Minnesota
You must be an English teacher! I apologize for my fuzzy construct.!
Old 06-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #35

Name: Sue
Trailer: Scamp 16 Custom Deluxe
Arizona
We had a tent trailer and loved the space inside. But we never loved setting it up and taking it down. As we got older we need something easier so we got a Scamp 16'.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #36

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I guess you could call it moving up, not really. Just different. Most of our camping has been no closer than a mile to nearest road. So trying to compare living in a trailer to camping in the woods just doesn't compare. They're two complete different activities. Sans trailer the question was always do we put up the tent or just sleep on the ground? Camping on the banks of a mountain lake almost always called for dip in the lake, sometimes a very short dip. With the trailer we're seldom close to a lake.
Both have their place in our lives, even though it's been almost 2 years since our last overnight trip into the woods on foot. Maybe we'll do it again this summer or early fall.

The excuses for the trailer are:
1. We were going to gatherings of carvers, geocachers, etc. and got tired of getting dressed on our backs. Tent is about 40" tall. Talk about lack of head room.
2. We wanted to extend the season we were out. Now our longest trips are in the winter hunting for the sun.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #37

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
My wife wanted to stand up while she put her pants on!!!!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #38

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Two reasons for going from tenting for many years to an "egg". First, I got tired of packing up a wet tent in the mornings, or waiting for it to dry out before leaving wet sites.

But, the real reason is getting lost on a bathroom trip at 3:00AM. It was a huge campground, and after making a run to the bathrooms with my wife we wandered back to the campsite rambling on about what ever, and all of a sudden realized that we had been walking a long time. No street signs, or lights other than our flashlight. Let me tell you, at 3:00AM all tents & RVs look the same! While we eventually found our way back it was then that we decided we wanted a build it bathroom!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #39

Name: Jim
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Minnesota
I am a slow learner, started tnet camping with infants the youngest 1 month old, bigger tent as kids got older. Single parent so a tent trailer, bigger tent trailer, travel trailer, bigger travel trailer, motor home, back to tent. Stayed with tent for a while then tent trailer, back to tent. At heart a tent lover, 2 back surgeries, and a triple by-pass and not being able to move the picnic table close enough to climb up and out of tent and a good wife made me start looking for a used Scamp. After 4 years of looking found a 1990 16foot with side bath and now sleep like a baby and can move when I get up in the morning. After ridiculing friends for calling their trailers Campers I have to admit I was wrong and do own a Camper. We love Minnesota State Parks with or without hook ups as we are learning to use solar and to be good stewards of the out doors.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #40

Name: Lynne
Trailer: "Limelyte" Trillium 1976
Alberta
We too have run the gambit with enjoying the outdoors for 42 years
1. Tent
2. 16 ft. travel trailer
3. Tent trailer
4. VW Westphalia
5. Back to tent
6. 13 ft. 76 Trillium

It was a soggy night in the tent in Kanaskis camping with kids and grandkids. We, in the tent and they were dry and warm in a travel trailer, we realized something was wrong with this picture and decided to find something our Sienna could tow. After researching we purchased our "egg " with no regrets.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #41

Name: David
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ)
Colorado
Like Byron, we don't consider staying in our trailer as having any connection to our tenting. The trailer is a fine alternative to a motel room while on road trips to various places around the country. Due to noise and congestion, RV parks and campgrounds are often poor places to pitch a tent anyway. Having a kitchen, bed and bathroom following along behind while on the road is pretty luxurious.

We still use our collection of tents often. We go on multi-day whitewater float trips and camp on the beaches in the canyons. I like to hike up into the high country with a backpack tent to fish for wild trout. We have a wall tent with a wood stove, for late fall hunting camps. When we say we are going camping, we mean tenting. Using our trailer is RV-ing.

Just to muddy the distinction, we sometimes park the trailer in remote areas off Forest Service roads. This is almost camping, except for the furnace, fridge, flush toilet, comfortable bed and lights.

Anyway, there are a lot of incredible places to camp where you can't take a travel trailer. So we are keeping our tents!
Old 06-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #42

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David and Nancy View Post
Like Byron, we don't consider staying in our trailer as having any connection to our tenting.....

When we say we are going camping, we mean tenting. Using our trailer is RV-ing......

Just to muddy the distinction, we sometimes park the trailer in remote areas off Forest Service roads. This is almost camping, except for the furnace, fridge, flush toilet, comfortable bed and lights.....

Anyway, there are a lot of incredible places to camp where you can't take a travel trailer. So we are keeping our tents!
In the past have tent camped from a car, canoe or backpack. Totally agree that a campground crowded with campers and motorhomes does not "feel right" for a tent. Having satellite dishes outnumber Coleman stoves is weird.

But essentially we have the same ammenities no matter how we camp, just not always implemented the same. Hot rocks from fire pit in a towel for a furnace, ice chest for a fridge, shovel to "flush" the toilet. And have slept pretty good on foam pad, and lantern for lights.

We generally treat our camper as a FG tent so we look at the big rigs and motor homes as RV-ing while we are camping in our trailer.

There is clearly a split that exists among folks on this forum, some purge the tenting gear and use the trailer for cooking, lights etc. Others who essentially pack the camping gear in the trailer and use it to have a bed and no tent to set up or take down. Biggest clue after coleman stove is the bed, sleeping bags or sheets with blankets.

If you get into Mich. the area south of Au Sable river is national forest with those access roads, if I can get my ground clearence up with new axle I'll be going back there in a minute. It's one of our favorite places to camp but... despite having camped there with just a tent in the past not sure DW would pick that over rustic campground nearby and the trailer.

I say while you can use em, keep the tents, later you can let the grandkids sleep in them if nothing else.