Diesel cars and towing power - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2007, 10:43 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I don't know if anyone here is interested in this topic but if you are you might like this site which lists all diesel vehicles now available in the USA. One diesel model put out 554 lb-ft of torque, though its expensive (around $50K I think).

You might also want to click on the homepage because they carry news of current developments and news in diesel.

http://www.dieselforum.org/where-is-diesel...sale-in-the-us/
Frank G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:28 AM   #2

Frank
Diesel is of interest. Problem in the US is that most of the passenger cars available with a diesel don't have adequate suspension to manage anything but an exremely small trailer. Powerwise they are capable but the rear axle/suspension needs to be a bit stiffer. The US PU will tow a freight train. Most of us don't want to tow a monster. Possibly with cleaner diesel some of the small pu's will appear with diesel engines in the US they're available in most other country"s. Would love to see a Frontier,Tacoma etc with a 4 cyl diesel capable of handling the glass trailers available now.

Terry
Terry D. Gwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:01 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Here's one for you. It would probably have been better with the D24T transplant though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo-240-D...089918249QQrdZ1

Sorry guys. I'm just an incorrugable old Volvo fan!
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:56 PM   #4

You are right. A 4 cylinder diesel and small pickup would make a nice combo.

So the suspension is the problem in cars. Would that also be true of something like the Caravan or could the supension be modified?

I wonder in the suspension problem would apply to a vehicle intended for outroad, such as the diesel Toureg, which supposedly would be able to tow 7,700 pounds. The problem there is it's price is too high, especially i'd think for folks interested in small fibergrlass trailers. The high price easily counteracts the gas savings.
Frank G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:49 PM   #5

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
You are right. A 4 cylinder diesel and small pickup would make a nice combo.

The high price easily counteracts the gas savings.
Frank, the T-reg is supposed to be a competent tow vehicle.

The high price/fuel savings issue is interesting. Rather than comparing gas mileage figures, the real test is "ownership cost per mile" for a vehicle. That takes in depreciation, fuel mileage, repairs, and maintenance. I wish those numbers were published somewhere, but if the truck or car you're looking at has been around a few years, you can get a pretty good idea of future depreciation from looking at past depreciation of the same models in past model years.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote