Difference between built in stoves and portable? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #15

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Jim,
I picked up one that is two pieces with a hinge in the middle. You lift up the cover on the rear hinge and then fold down the top half. You end up with a 1/2 height backsplash and don't block your window.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #16

Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
I have a a coleman propane stove that I use outside, and since other than the cook top inside the camper, I don't have any other propane appliances (yet) I run a hose to my portable stove outside from the propane tank on the tongue. That way you aren't constantly dealing with those little tanks, which are also bad for the environment (news one are re-fill-able, so that's not as big an issue anymore). When I do eventually get my three way fridge, and need to run propane in the camper again, I'll get one of those tee's that let you run two or more devices off the tank. And as to a previous topic I made, I think I'm going to take out my stove inside the camper, at least temporarily to get me more counter space.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:14 AM   #17

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Hi Donna
I have been considering making a cover but storage in a 13 footer is limited. If I use it as a backsplash it would cover the kitchen window and so stop the ventilation flow. Where do you put your wooden cover when using the stove?
Because my trailer is a 16 footer, when I flip up the stove cover it just covers the back wall as a back splash... not the window which is over the sink. I've heard where some people pull out the drawer and put the cover on that to make more counter space... would that work for you?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #18

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Hi Donna
I have been considering making a cover but storage in a 13 footer is limited. If I use it as a backsplash it would cover the kitchen window and so stop the ventilation flow. Where do you put your wooden cover when using the stove?
Our stove cover doubles as extra counter space while cooking or as lunch table space. It is designed to lock into the drawer under the sink .....
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0031.JPG   DSCF0034.JPG  

Pic013.JPG  
Old 08-14-2010, 12:14 PM   #19

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Floyd,

Could you show what is on the face of the cupboard below the sink when your stove cover is not there? Looks clever

Edited to add: Okay, I think I see the top of a drawer or cupboard, but... what are the square cutouts and metal things for on the one edge of the stove cover? Do they do the locking-in somehow?

Thank you,
Raya
Old 08-14-2010, 01:30 PM   #20

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
Floyd,

Could you show what is on the face of the cupboard below the sink when your stove cover is not there? Looks clever

Edited to add: Okay, I think I see the top of a drawer or cupboard, but... what are the square cutouts and metal things for on the one edge of the stove cover? Do they do the locking-in somehow?

Thank you,
Raya
The "L" shaped metal wood screws hook inside the cabinet face while the square cutouts fit over the two drawer sides. this maintains a solid connection while the drawer front supports underneath.
Here are a couple more pictures.....
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0032.JPG   DSCF0033.JPG  

Old 08-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #21

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Hi Donna
I have seen stove covers that hinge in the middle, so they fit behind the stove and act as a backsplash without covering the window.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:05 AM   #22

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
There's a recent discussion on stove covers and other alternatives (with pics!) here: Is there a non-permanent stovetop cover?

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote