Difference between built in stoves and portable? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Difference between built in stoves and portable?

Hello, I was looking at various Eggs and noticed some folks remove their stoves to allow for more counterspace. They say they cook outside on a portable stove anyway so they didnt need the inside stove. That got me to wondering what is the difference between the built in stoves in RV's and the portable ones for outside use? I guess I'm trying to figure out why is it safe to use the built in stove in the enclosed camper but not safe to bring a portable stove from outside and cook inside during inclement weather? I dont recall seeing stove vents on the outside of eggs just fridge vents but maybe I'm just overlooking them. If the built in stoves are vented then this question can be disregarded because I see how venting would make cooking inside safe wheras a portable stove brought inside wouldnt be vented and therefore would be unsafe.

Hope I dont look like a total idiot right now, lol.

Melissa
melissab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Propane on inside stove
White Gas or propane on a outside stove.
We cook outside all the time with white gas. If you are real cheap like me .
I use unleaded gas, works perfect, and a lot cheaper than white gas.
As they say "To each his own"
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 1999 Burro
Before I bought my egg, I tent camped using a propane outdoor stove. Mine is a primus but colemans are kind of the standard. Pretty inexpensive and easy to use. Those little propane bottles are about $2.50 each and last pretty well. I don't think they are approved for indoor use.
joelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #4

Trailer: Aliner
The difference in our indoor and outdoor propane cook stoves is that the indoor one uses low pressure gas and the outdoor one uses high pressure.

I think it's supposed to be a safety feature.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 88 Cadet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Propane on inside stove
White Gas or propane on a outside stove.
We cook outside all the time with white gas. If you are real cheap like me .
I use unleaded gas, works perfect, and a lot cheaper than white gas.
As they say "To each his own"
Kevin, are not worried about the evaporation on unleaded gas leading to an explosion? I've always found the "WHOOSH" factor when lighting a white gas stove to be significantly less than when I seen unleaded gasoline go WHOOSH BOOM!
I'm going to check in my with brother the chemist to see what he has to say about the difference if any. Stay tuned and don't blow yourself up.
Len Cater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:54 AM   #6

Registry
I have been using unleaded gas for at least 15 years.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:08 AM   #7

Trailer: 88 Cadet
Well I think count yourself lucky. Here is the response from my brother who has his doctorate in Chemistry. Here is what he typed:
"Coleman fuel is naphtha which is a petroleum distillation fraction that is different from gasoline. It has a much lower octane number (about 55 vs gasoline at 87) and more importantly a higher flash point (-18C). The flash point of gasoline is -43C which means that gasoline is more flammable which is why it essentially explodes when in contact with a flame. So I think it would be very dangerous to use gasoline in a Coleman stove."

Based on this response I would not recommend anyone use unleaded gasoline instead of white gas.
Len
Len Cater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #8

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Melissa,

Good question, I run both the indoor and outdoor stoves off the big propane bottle on the tongue of my Scamp. There is no venting for the indoor stove. I did, however, have the factory install a small window over the stove when I ordered my scamp.

I like the fact that the indoor stove has a premanent place and doesn't have to be jostled around. With only an outdoor stove you are always moving it from here to there. I also don't like the idea of something with flames being moveable on a counter.

I use my indoor stove all the time with exception of very hot days then I get the outdoor stove out and use it. I like cooking indoors out of the bugs etc.

As for counter space, I added counter space that folds to both the ends of the counter in my Scamp. I have recently added a more premanment but removable counter over the one end of the couch for counter space. No counter space though as the Microwave has found a premanent place there.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I personally would not hesitate to use a portable propane cooktop inside the trailer. Seems like if anything it would be potentially a tad safer, since there's no gas line running into the trailer from outside... one can't have a leaky gas line if one has NO gas line. If there is some special danger to having the little propane bottles inside a trailer, I'm not aware of it. I use a Coleman Black Cat portable catalytic heater inside with the little bottles, so far so good.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
That got me to wondering what is the difference between the built in stoves in RV's and the portable ones for outside use?
Mellisa, seeing this question really hasn't been addressed yet, let me have a kick at it. The biggest difference in a stove for exterior use is the jets. For outdoor use, especially if there is any wind present, the burners with multiple small ports are going to perform way better than the ones with one row around the burner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon G View Post
The difference in our indoor and outdoor propane cook stoves is that the indoor one uses low pressure gas and the outdoor one uses high pressure.

I think it's supposed to be a safety feature.
Actually Sharon, they both use low pressure gas. For appliances in the trailer, the pressure is reduced at the tanks instead of at each appliance, whereas for portable units there is a pressure regulator on every appliance. For some of these outdoor units, the regulator can be eliminated IF you are going to connect to the regulated pressure from the trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Cater View Post
Well I think count yourself lucky. Here is the response from my brother who has his doctorate in Chemistry. Here is what he typed:
"Coleman fuel is naphtha which is a petroleum distillation fraction that is different from gasoline. It has a much lower octane number (about 55 vs gasoline at 87) and more importantly a higher flash point (-18C). The flash point of gasoline is -43C which means that gasoline is more flammable which is why it essentially explodes when in contact with a flame. So I think it would be very dangerous to use gasoline in a Coleman stove."

Based on this response I would not recommend anyone use unleaded gasoline instead of white gas.
Len
That is a great thing to point out Len. For how cheap naphtha gas is, why take the risk. One other thing is that naphtha gas has no additives and burns way cleaner as well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:15 PM   #11

Registry
NO more unleaded gas for me.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:18 AM   #12

Trailer: Aliner
Thanks for the explanation, Jim.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:44 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Lack of counter space is a problem. I have a home built wooden stove cover that covers the three burner stove in my trailer. While not creating a perfectly flat surface the length of the counter, at least it provides an area to place a cutting board or fix a sandwich. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:46 AM   #14

Trailer: Boler 1984
Hi Donna
I have been considering making a cover but storage in a 13 footer is limited. If I use it as a backsplash it would cover the kitchen window and so stop the ventilation flow. Where do you put your wooden cover when using the stove?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #15

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Jim,
I picked up one that is two pieces with a hinge in the middle. You lift up the cover on the rear hinge and then fold down the top half. You end up with a 1/2 height backsplash and don't block your window.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:49 AM   #16

Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
I have a a coleman propane stove that I use outside, and since other than the cook top inside the camper, I don't have any other propane appliances (yet) I run a hose to my portable stove outside from the propane tank on the tongue. That way you aren't constantly dealing with those little tanks, which are also bad for the environment (news one are re-fill-able, so that's not as big an issue anymore). When I do eventually get my three way fridge, and need to run propane in the camper again, I'll get one of those tee's that let you run two or more devices off the tank. And as to a previous topic I made, I think I'm going to take out my stove inside the camper, at least temporarily to get me more counter space.
GordM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:14 AM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Hi Donna
I have been considering making a cover but storage in a 13 footer is limited. If I use it as a backsplash it would cover the kitchen window and so stop the ventilation flow. Where do you put your wooden cover when using the stove?
Because my trailer is a 16 footer, when I flip up the stove cover it just covers the back wall as a back splash... not the window which is over the sink. I've heard where some people pull out the drawer and put the cover on that to make more counter space... would that work for you?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #18

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Hi Donna
Our stove cover doubles as extra counter space while cooking or as lunch table space. It is designed to lock into the drawer under the sink .....
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0031.JPG   DSCF0034.JPG  

Pic013.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:14 AM   #19

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Floyd,

Could you show what is on the face of the cupboard below the sink when your stove cover is not there? Looks clever

Edited to add: Okay, I think I see the top of a drawer or cupboard, but... what are the square cutouts and metal things for on the one edge of the stove cover? Do they do the locking-in somehow?

Thank you,
Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #20

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
Floyd,

Could you show what is on the face of the cupboard below the sink when your stove cover is not there? Looks clever

Edited to add: Okay, I think I see the top of a drawer or cupboard, but... what are the square cutouts and metal things for on the one edge of the stove cover? Do they do the locking-in somehow?

Thank you,
Raya
The "L" shaped metal wood screws hook inside the cabinet face while the square cutouts fit over the two drawer sides. this maintains a solid connection while the drawer front supports underneath.
Here are a couple more pictures.....
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0032.JPG   DSCF0033.JPG  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote