Different Sizes, 6.6/8', 7', 7'4" Make a Difference? - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-30-2015, 06:41 PM   #1
Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Different Sizes, 6.6/8', 7', 7'4" Make a Difference?

I am still pondering over my choices. I want the easiest to tow. I am prepared with a more than adequate tow vehicle, 2007 Dodge Durango with tow capacity of over 6,000 lbs and towing accessories to include a to arrive soon Equalizer hitch. The "but" is that does it make much difference in the width of the trailer between the different manufacturers? I like the EggCamper and could really use the aisle space with the dogs and don't mind the no propane since we have camping gear that runs off propane if needed but it is the widest. Would a 6'8" be easier than a 7'4"? I do have extra mirrors. I over think everything but do avoid making a lot of mistakes but I also drive myself to the edge with it!

Any thoughts? Does it make a difference? My husband has done the towing but now, this will be just myself and my adult son with Down syndrome. We're "dropping out"! Out of the conventional! I'd say 2nd childhood but I haven't made it out of the first yet.

I have to make my choice soon. Maybe put the names on paper, draw from a hat? Really, I could live with any of the fiberglass molded trailers, all a little different but mostly alike in many ways.

Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:53 PM   #2
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Hummm, it's not the width of the trailer as much as the shape of the trailer. IMHO. My Scamp is egg shaped, Ten Forward not so much. Really Cathy, it's more about the layout, your budget and your needs... you'll figure it out, honest. What works for me, may not work for you...

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
I like the EggCamper and could really use the aisle space with the dogs and don't mind the no propane since we have camping gear that runs off propane if needed but it is the widest.
Cathy I think you will find the Bigfoot 17.5 is wider than the Eggcamper at 8' and the Bigfoot 21 is 8'4" wide.

Some people find the egg shaped campers to be more restrictive in regards to storage space and feeling of space than a trailer with more straight side walls so the over all width may or may not, depending on the trailers overall layout inside may not be something to put to much weight on in regards to the decision making process.

As Donna suggest it is really hard for anyone here to help you choose what will work best for you. When I decided to purchase a small fiberglass trailer I was very certain as to what trailer was going to meet my needs - only problem was I had made that assumption by looking at internet photos and specs. Reality was the first time I had a chance to sit in what I thought for sure I would be towing home that day, I know in the first minute in it that it was not a trailer I would be happy in & it definitely was not coming home with me.

I would highly recommend attending a fiberglass trailer rally and seeing first hand as many different makes/models as you can and sitting in the trailers. If you are interested in such a such a trailer contact the manufacturer and ask if they have a referral program and if they could set you up to go and see one first hand owned by someone in your area. A number of the trailer manufactures who sell direct from the factory have such a program. Or make a post here asking for someone with such and such a trailer in your area if they will show it to you.

Bigfoot is one of the few that sells through dealers across NA so you should be able to find one not far from you.

Alternatively keep an eye on the Fiberglass-rv-4sale.com site and go and look at as many different brands of trailers that you can find within a days drive of you.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:38 AM   #4
Thank you for your thoughts. Pondering.............
Old 05-01-2015, 06:04 AM   #5
Name: Perry
Trailer: 2007 Casita Spirit 17'
Lanesboro, Minnesota
Everyone's different:

Things we DON'T want but most do:
Air Conditioning
Water heater
Built-in Toilet
120 Volt
Black/grey water tanks
Again, the above are things we DON'T want. Except for the sink and 120 volt, our Casita has none of these, so we can load more items in the camper and not have to worry about excess weight.

Things we want:
Big refrigerator
Porta Potty
12 Volt with big battery
Large bed (we're converting our Casita Spirit standard to a king-size bed)
You have to identify YOUR needs. Like Carol said, attend a FG rally and look at the various options.

2007 Casita Spirit 17' Standard, no ac, furnace, bath, water, or black/grey tanks, but lots of room, so we can haul more needless items.

2003 & 2008 Honda Odysseys
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:00 AM   #6
Name: Ray
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 13

I would suggest not stressing too much over making a perfect FGRV choice.
Make the best and most informed choice that you can, buy something, and
go camping/traveling for a while. Only after doing that will you really know what
trailer and amenities is/are right for you.

The reason to not stress is based on the high resale value of most FGRVs.
You shouldn't lose much money if you make a "less than perfect" initial choice
and need to sell and buy something else.

There is a little effort involved in all buying and selling transactions. That is why
you are now doing your research and trying to make the best initial choice .....
good for you! ☺️

IMHO - The important things are size/comfort of the bed, the availability of other seating/eating areas if you should want to leave the bed made up (without switching back and forth daily on every trip), storage space/cabinets for clothes/groceries/cooking-gear, etc. Basically, the things
that make the trailer comfortable, enjoyable, and just plain fun to use.

Lower weight and lower aerodynamic drag (rounded corners and lower frontal area) will
make less demands on your tow vehicle. That may help the overall towing experience.

Best of luck to you! ☺️

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:54 AM   #7
Again, thank you for your comments. Actually, the pop-up fits our needs with the exception of security and inside shower. Plotting out the length and width of the molded fiberglass using the pop-up, the pop-up is much bigger extended. We live in central Kansas, there is nothing here and we do almost all of our shopping online for everything. Sometimes what we end up with isn't exactly what we thought but generally we can make do.

I guess the reality is that except for the largest of the FG molded, this really won't work. Not really wanting the largest because of the additional weight. No longer "pondering" will switch directions.