Disabled Wife wants to try camping again - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2007, 04:47 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
And I will add this for the non-disabled campers -- Many CGs with Handicap sites will, when the occupancy rate is high, allow these sites to be occupied for one night by the non-disabled, rather than have the site vacant overnight when the rest of the CG is full. If local policy allows it, the time is often 6pm.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:14 PM   #22

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have stayed in many ADA sites (I have a placecard) when there is nothing else available.

You most times have to ask. I have been told nothing was available, and asked about ADA and then was told "yes" we have one (Or more) empty.

This is good to remember when showing up without ressies and you have credentials for them.

Unfortunately, most USFS ones are NOT reserve able, at least that I have run into anyway, and this makes it hard for those that REALLY need one.. they show up after 6, and there is a group of kids in it.

Seems a shame. State parks reserve them, as do some county parks I have gone to.

I try to leave them open, however, as.. I can get by nicely without one, AND, they put them near the bathrooms and it's high traffic.

But if you are in a chair etc. by the johns is a good thing.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 05:54 PM   #23

Trailer: 1989 17 ft Bigfoot Deluxe / 2004 Ford Ranger
Hi Bob
I noticed on Ken's cabinet conversion, that once the cushion/lid are lifted to use the PP, one has to sit on the bare plywood cut-out. On cool days or especially nights, when heat may not be on in the trailer, the initial contact of skin on plywood can be a bit of a shock.
Here's a little secret I learned years ago about beating that man-meets-cold-toilet-seat shock,and which you and other RV members may already have heard: Just before "settling" down,place a small sheet of 1" blue, or pink styrofoam over the bench of the toilet seat, from which you have cut out/sanded smooth an opening which matches the outline of the hole thru' the bench. The change in sensation will amaze you...even at -30 degrees in the winter, sitting on that styrofoam pad will make you think you are sitting on a heating pad.The pad could be stowed alongside the PP inside the cabinet, if space allows; if not, it could even be hidden under the seat cushion 'til needed.We still have an outhouse at our cottage up at the lake, and for about the last 20 years, there has always been a styrofoam pad handyin the "biffy" when needed on those cold morning or evening treks "up the hill" !!
Try it...you won't believe it !!!
Joe
Joseph Olajos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:41 PM   #24

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Dawn will not attempt to get a disabled sticker for the cars because to her it means that her diability is permanent. I love the lady and hope that this will work out. I know that it would really help her overall condition and attitude about life.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:27 AM   #25

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 15 ft
Send a message via ICQ to Ken James
Yes, we addressed the "cold butte" soon after we made our mod. Di took an old towel and cut a hole in it to fit thus protecting the delicate portions of the anatomy when threatened with cold plywood on a chilly night. It makes a huge difference. I had occasion to avoid the green apple quick-step one night and I proved it!
Attached Thumbnails
Porta_potti_stitched.JPG  
Ken James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:48 PM   #26

Trailer: 80 HawaiiLo 16 ft
Quote:
Yes, we addressed the "cold butte" soon after we made our mod. Di took an old towel and cut a hole in it to fit thus protecting the delicate portions of the anatomy when threatened with cold plywood on a chilly night. It makes a huge difference. I had occasion to avoid the green apple quick-step one night and I proved it!

Hi Bob, Dee and I took a cue from Ken's mod and changed it a little in our Lil Bigfoot. I built a riser for the pp to sit on which brought it up to cushion level. Then we put hinges on the top plywood andwere able to use pp seat as is. Please see photo. Keith

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Jayfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:22 PM   #27

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Maybe these porta pottie posts should be under the "show us your little stinkers thread"

OK I'll go to my room now..
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:17 PM   #28

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Here's a gummint roadside potty on Top of the World Highway in Alaska in Spring one year...
Attached Thumbnails
ThatSeat__sGonnaBeCoooold__AK.JPG  
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote