Disappointed in Gallery pict. of rallies - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-07-2016, 07:17 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Disappointed in Gallery pict. of rallies

Being a first time Host of a rally for May 2017, Spring Fling in Nh, I thought I would go to Gallery of Rallies/Gatherings to maybe get some ideas I could do at my first rally, and found that most pictures of were of personal pictures of campers and even some just under repair.
Just saying.........
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:42 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Being a first time Host of a rally for May 2017, Spring Fling in Nh, I thought I would go to Gallery of Rallies/Gatherings to maybe get some ideas I could do at my first rally, and found that most pictures of were of personal pictures of campers and even some just under repair.
Just saying.........
Hi: Gerry... We have hosted The Niagara Wine Escape rally for 10 yrs. now. Unless I get up at the crack of sun up I don't have time to take many pic's. We have a great friend who is a pro at pic's and he's never disappointing as a photog. He keeps the pics on his web site and we can visit there.Lakeshoreimages Presents Jon Vermilye's Nature Photography, Travel & RV Pages
We host the rally in a tourist region so there are many activities for all campers to do or not. Most of our rally goers like the laid back... non structured style of rally except for campfires, pot luck sat. nite, and open door viewing; and keep coming back to enjoy it year after year.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:46 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
As a former "Rally Host", I can say that coordinating a rally is a lot of work and will take up a good deal of your time, but they are fun. I can suggest a few ideas to pose to all those who would be attending your event. Put out some "feelers" on the forum in your specific "rally thread" to get some feedback on whether or not there would be any interest in having various events during the rally. Some things which have been highly successful at other rallies are pot luck dinners, a craft beer exchange (usually done on the first night as a "meet & mingle ice breaker," especially for newer members or first-timers.) Also holding raffles or "how-to" seminars, hosted by knowledgeable members who will be attending, on all sorts of things from various trailer maintenance issues to Dutch oven cooking to various arts and crafts. Raffles and drawings are always fun if you can get some local stores and merchants to donate items in return for mentioning their names, (good will PR.) A lot of businesses, especially RV and camping related business, (but don't let that stop you from hitting everybody up,) may offer up donations. Auto parts stores are usually pretty good at donating some items. Everyone also likes to see all the various makes and models of trailers in attendance, and most owners love to showcase their great trailer modifications. Schedule the trailer tour "open house" times for one day during your event. Generally, the late morning is usually a good time, and these "tours" are always a big hit. Having access to a central meeting place, like a group area, where group events can be held is also beneficial, so if the place you are going to has a group facility or covered pavilion, you may want to consider booking it as well. A central campfire pit with a hot dog roast and/or smores always brings a crowd. Do any of your attendees play an instrument? There's lots of ideas out there to kick it up a notch, and I'm sure several others will chime in with even more ideas. The sky's the limit. Also, and very important, don't forget to solicit assistance for all this as well. Don't try to do it all by yourself. Many hands make light work.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We hosted our first rally this year, Eggs a la Bourbon, in Bardstown, KY. We announced it as unstructured except for a potluck and trailer tour, but it structured itself. People who played music, brought it along and did a night of songs for us. A local camper (who will be future host, as he is in the area. We are in Chicago.) set up a night on the dinner train for those interested and a last minute lunch and supper at two of the local restaurants was planned. The area provided a lot of things to do, and folks did what they wanted. That is the kind of rally we like and, if we run one in the future again, will plan. I have one in mind , but not until we retire.

CindyL
Old 11-07-2016, 12:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've hosted about 22 NOGs and I've never posted any pictures in the Gallery of Rallies/Gatherings. Didn't know it existed

Your best bet is to go to the Rallys forum (and the Rally archives) and read. If any pictures are posted, they'd probably be in the last several replies for the thread.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:20 PM   #6

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
When we open the SAG call out, I'm hoping those coming will have ideas...instruments for a few songs around the campfire (before Park quiet time at 10 PM) as well as cooking on sticks over the fire all sound like a great idea. Also if someone wanted to be in charge of photos and then post them, that'd be super. But this isn't that call-out yet.

December for the first Seattle Area Gathering notice.

Also, hoping some will consider coming to a very unofficial fiberglass gathering within the vintage rally at Lynden two weekends before--it's so spacious and open that there'd be room for a hundred of us. $25 a night this year; pick your own spot and take the amount of space you need and want, and angle your rig anyway that suits you. Nice big level fairground field-- Electric only, water available, some restrooms. Pets welcome on leashes or x-pens. Some picnic tables available and delivered to your campsite. They had a swap meet/garage sale, each rig can put up their own table(s)--We set out a "free" table and were happy to go home much lighter.
The all-day open house was the chief gem of the rally, with trailers from so many decades and styles to see! There were plenty of FGRVs there as well as stickies--also a raffle, some pot-luck meals, and Saturday night a sing-along. Don't know if fires were allowed--
Photos--though, no, not really. Too busy!
Old 11-07-2016, 04:22 PM   #7

thanks for all the great Ideas and I think as said by Cindy that it will all fall into place. I did mention the meet and greet and a pot luck and any musicians for simple sing alongs or get togethers...
Area also has lots of attractions and I guess I'll leave that up to the individuals if they want to go off.
Campground itself will have activities...maybe it being so early in the season.
I know it will go well and it will be a good time and hopefuly the first of many rallies I will host.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:34 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I've hosted about 22 NOGs and I've never posted any pictures in the Gallery of Rallies/Gatherings. Didn't know it existed

Your best bet is to go to the Rallys forum (and the Rally archives) and read. If any pictures are posted, they'd probably be in the last several replies for the thread.
Galleries are cumbersome to view and not accessible via the FiberglassRV app. They are an older site feature that is no longer supported and atrophying through disuse.

If you designate an event photographer, have them post in the rally thread where they will show up as new posts and we can all enjoy them!

If there are many, a link to an external photo hosting site is just as good.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:39 PM   #9

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
"...event photographer, have them post in the rally thread where they will show up as new posts and we can all enjoy them! "

Good advice; I really like seeing photos right here in the regular threads--will suggest it! And let's hope there aren't too many...even a Pug Gala gets tiresome after the first 200 pugs.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:16 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Gerry... We have hosted The Niagara Wine Escape rally for 10 yrs. now. Unless I get up at the crack of sun up I don't have time to take many pic's. We have a great friend who is a pro at pic's and he's never disappointing as a photog. He keeps the pics on his web site and we can visit there.Lakeshoreimages Presents Jon Vermilye's Nature Photography, Travel & RV Pages
We host the rally in a tourist region so there are many activities for all campers to do or not. Most of our rally goers like the laid back... non structured style of rally except for campfires, pot luck sat. nite, and open door viewing; and keep coming back to enjoy it year after year.
Hi Alf
You do a very fine job of hosting this rally. That you are able to provide a map of the tourism attractions and answer questions about specific destinations is most helpful. Looking forward to 2017.
Iowa Dave and Rita
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1644.jpg   IMG_1646.jpg  

IMG_1665.jpg   IMG_1669.jpg  

Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:09 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Iowa Dave... Thanks for the pic of the "Crack of sun up"... The last one must have been taken the morning after the night before!!!
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:02 PM   #12

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Gerry, the BCGlassEggs rally has a Tapas/finger food meet and greet Friday night. Open house Sat morning, then bocci ball and other games in the afternoon. Potluck dinner, then awards for the games and door prizes.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-21-2016, 09:07 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Best Rallies, etc.

As with many things I prefer non-structured. Serendipity is the code word. Not knowing what to expect and getting some very pleasant surprises makes for a great experience.
Not Organized is the best way to go.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:47 AM   #14

Marina, Bocci Ball is a great idea.... I was thinking just Horse Shoes but not to many woman like that
Thanks
Also will make sure to have a Map of the area so people can go off and shop or see the sights.
The campground is realy getting behind this idea of the Spring Fling in New England Rally.
Just had our first snow of the year yesterday and now I can't wait for next season to start.