Disposable Digital Cameras - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-21-2003, 11:08 AM   #15
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Odds are the single-use digital will be fixed focus, so delay won't be an issue. But, that severely compromises the quality of the pic. You won't duplicate that hummingbird pic on a fixed-focus camera. It will most likely also be 640x480 resolution -- fine for viewing on a PC or TV, or for posting to the web, but too low for good prints.

I also use a 2.1mp camera (Canon S10) and love it. I, too, get great 8x10s, but rarely print more than a 5x7. I found that we rarely took pictures with our 35mm cameras, because we didn't have film on hand, or didn't have the money to buy film at the time, or whatever. Film and processing is EXPENSIVE. With the digital, we "blow" pics right and left, and are creating a much more complete "memory album". I'm thrilled with it. Plus, my memory card holds the equivalent of 8-10 rolls of 35mm film!

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 11:14 AM   #16
Kodak's New Idea

Around the turn of the century a company called Eastman Kodak had an idea: They provided a single use 'box' camera and film for free. All the customer had to do was pay to have it processed.

Hmmm.... (March 2, 2003) — Consumers will be able to enjoy the convenience of a single-use camera and the flexibility of digital imaging with one of Eastman Kodak Co.’s newest ideas.

Sorry Kodak but you're full of it!:o

There are many fine digital and 35mm products to choose from today. Cost is the only limiting factor.

Image capturing as a hobby, art or a profession is wonderful and we shouldn't allow ourselves to get side tracked by marketing.

Old 05-21-2003, 11:15 AM   #17
which century?

I meant the 20th century! ....my oh my, how time flies.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:27 AM   #18
Originally posted by Morgan Bulger

I didn't mean to disparage your camera, Mary F
Aw, heck, Morgan. I don't care if you disparage my camera (although I am worried that you didn't think I knew the difference between focus and shutter delay)!

I probably did sound like a big ol' party pooper. I'm sure the disposable digitals will be just the thing for some situations...

The good thing is, my whining got you to post one of your (fabulous) hummer pics again!

I always really liked those pics... :wub
Old 05-21-2003, 11:45 AM   #19
''You press the button and we do the rest''

I worked on a Centennial of the Snapshot exhibition in 1988. It commemorated the introduction of the first KODAK camera, which came already loaded with a roll of film.

After exposure, the entire camera was mailed to Eastman Co., for processing. A new roll of film was loaded into the camera and the whole kit & kaboodle was returned to the (amateur) photographer. $25 for 100 exposures (according to the George Eastman House website).

Not a single use camera, but I agree with you, Mike: if it's their ''newest'' idea, they haven't come up with much in 115 years!! :laugh