Distance driven each day on a trip - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
I went to Alaska last year (way up top to Fairbanks) and just drove until i got tired or the sun went down every day and found a place to camp/sleep. I still stopped for video shots and a little fishing. But the days were 20 hours or longer and I just kept driving. I ended up doing something like 600-700 miles a day. which is an average of about 40mph or something. Plenty of time to stop and explore.

How far do you normally drive in a day when on a long egg trip?

ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
It all depends. If we've got some place to be, we'll put on 700 + miles per day on the Interstate Highway system. Otherwise we might do 400 - 500 miles if we are traveling and sightseeing.

Due to both of us being unemployed, we've lately had much shorter trips - 150 miles one-way is a long weekend. We are dreaming big, and hope to take a long trip to South Dakota, Wyoming and Nebraska in a year or two.

-- Dan Meyer

Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Probably 300-350 miles a day.

We try to get off the road by 15:00 but Ron, in Fairbanks if you went during the summer months, you'd have 20 hours of daylight...or about that right? I imagine the sun in sitting on the horizon when it sets.

I/we like to get off the road before dinner and all the motor homes start to think about a place to stay..and of course one makes bad decisions when they are fatigued..so take - it - easy...
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:33 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I travel with 3 other bladders besides mine, so I make frequent stops for walks and... leakage. I try to limit my driving to 6 hours or so a day. There is only one of me to do the driving, and even overnite stops take awhile after the herd is taken care of.. then it starts all over in the morning. Yep, it makes long trips REALLY long.

Oddly enough, when I came to Arizona, I made two trips. Once to bring my Burro over, and once with a cargo trailer. The first trip was sans the pets, and I went from San Diego to Casa Grande, AZ...so I still pretty much stuck to the schedule, even on the way back to So. Cal without towing.

I HATE being road tired.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
How far do you normally drive in a day when on a long egg trip?
We will be taking 3 weeks vacation in July. The plan is we will Start in San Diego, CA and zip up I-5 to Medford, OR before diverting to Cave Junction (Family) then to the coast up the 101 to Bandon (Oregon Gathering) then to Portland (Family). We pick up I-84 east thru Boise, ID and Cheyenne, WY to get I-25 south to Denver and then I-70 east thru Kansas to go to St.Louis, MO (Big Family Reunion). THEN I-44 to Oklahoma City to get I-40 to Holbrook, AZ to some non-interstate route to Clay Springs, AZ to visit Gina D. Then to Phoenix (Family) and then Palm Springs, CA (Friends) and then home.

I planned out each day to be approximately 450 miles or about 9 hours. This has been about our endurance limit in past continent crossings. We like to stop about one hour or more before dark so we can get set-up before supper and bed.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Wow, I couldn't keep up with all of you. I guess on a "have to get there day" we may push. but somedays we may drive 50 miles down the road and think Dammmmmmmmm, this looks like a nice place, let's camp here. So we stop and enjoy for a day or two or maybe more. It's called vacation!
When we were younger( I say that like I am really old, not so much!) of course due to work we may have only had a certain amount of time for a trip, but now I take my time, can't rush Dh anymore anyway, so why make myself crazy. When we had the resort, most fulltiming guest averaged 300 to 350 miles a day when on the road. They didn't push much more than that.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote