Do we have an rv or a trailer?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Do we have an rv or a trailer??

It takes government bureaucracy to determine the answer. Thank you for using Recreation.gov for your camping needs. It is my pleasure to assist you today.
A “standard site” will accommodate 1 RV/trailer/wheeled camping unit with 1 tent, or if there is not an RV/trailer/wheeled camping unit on the site, it will accommodate up to 2 tents. An “RV only” site will only accommodate 1 RV/wheeled camping unit (no tents allowed) and “Tent only” will usually accommodate up to 2 tents unless specified otherwise. I hope this information will assist your further.

But this does not define trailer vs recreational vehicle. To which An RV is one large motor vehicle for camping with facilities for sleeping and eating, whereas a trailer is a vehicle that is towed by another vehicle.
Furthermore a travel trailer “Trailers can also be used to carry other equipment such as boats or off road vehicles, etc. The difference in sites when searching will mainly be the size of the site based on the type of equipment you are camping with and if more space is needed for more then one vehicle. If your camping unit (regardless of RV/Trailer/pop-up etc.) is a “wheeled” camping unit, meaning it is on wheels, you may reserve a Standard site, or a trailer site. Most of the Standard Sites will allow up to two other vehicles on the site, aside of your camping unit. RV-only site is considered one unit and no tents are allowed on these sites.

So there you have the official definition. Now my next question is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable?
Old 11-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Yes.
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #3

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Rv's have an engine and transmission, trailers are open platforms with wheels like a landscapes use, caravans are enclosed trailers setup to camp/live in.

I agree they don't see a size difference and they should. I saw one campground that my ParkLiner would cost more then my friends larger pop-up. That makes sense lol

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
If the gummint says so, it must be true! :R But I suspect that the person who crafted the definition wasn't much into camping. Most camping type people would consider a travel trailer to be a type of RV, I think.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
anything that is (dot) gov is only worth the digital paper it's written on.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Well it sounds like they got it right. If one looks up the definition of Vehicle most definitions suggest a Vehicle needs an engine to be a vehicle regardless of whether or not it is a Recreational Vehicle or not.

No really argument on the Tomato either, Scientifically speaking, a tomato is definitely a fruit as it develops from a flower.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Who cares as long as you use it?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
RV stands for Recreation Vehicle.
And since my trailer is a vehicle I recreate in, it therefore is an RV.

ve·hi·cle [vee-i-kuhl or, sometimes, vee-hi-]
noun
any means in or by which someone travels or something is carried or conveyed; a means of conveyance or transport: a motor vehicle; space vehicles.
a conveyance moving on wheels, runners, tracks, or the like, as a cart, sled, automobile, or tractor.

Ever been to an RV show, all shapes and forms of trailers and motorhomes are there.

I do kinda like the European/Assie/Kiwi term of caravan for a trailer, it gives some kind of gypsy persona to it.

edit: Man, I just typed a load of trivial nonsense there, eh?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Thinking outside the box again?

Go! Donna
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Best answer yet.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #11

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
try being a camphost and explaining some of this silliness to people while keeping a straight face.

The term "wheeled camping unit" is used to specifically classify a camping trailer. This weeds the word "trailer" out of the mix and gives a definition and exemption for other types of trailers.

By far, the biggest payment complaint folks have concerns extra vehicles. The basic concept of paying for the extra vehicle has nothing to do with the space it occupies, it has to do with WHAT is occupied in it. NOR does it have anything to do with concessionaires wanting to line their pockets, contrary to certain belief. In most forests, it's a gubmint requirement..we are the face in front collecting, so WE get the bad rap. (We do have, however, the authority to charge a higher rate than the gubmints specified minimum, which varies between forests. And yep, THAT has to do with profit making)

The gubmints generalization is that each vehicle carries "X" amount of people on average..so, adding another vehicle adds that mystery # of people who then make a bigger impact on resources and site wear. I call this the Toilet Paper Tax.

Great theory, rarely the case, however. Most times you have 2 or 3 people per car, and the site allowance is 6. So what happens is site #1 has 6 people that all came in the same car. They pay 20 bucks for the site. Site #2 has TWO cars, with 3 people in each, but they pay 25 bucks..because they came in two cars. (20 for the site, 5 for the extra vehicle) It pays to carpool folks.

Motorhomes vs. Trailers or other "towed vehicles". More goofiness. Your car and trailer are considered 1 vehicle. They came in attached to each other and are considered a single entity. Same with utility trailers, boat trailers etc, no matter what they are hauling. If you have a motorhome and "toad" (Towing your car) it is also one vehicle. BUT..the car HAS to be towed in. If your spouse DRIVES the car behind your Motorhome..kaching! 5 bucks for the extra vehicle.

Don't get me started on motorcycles vs. trikes vs. bicycles (YES! There are rules on those too!)

BTW, if any camphost tries to charge you for your camping trailer as an extra vehicle, walk them over to the fee board and find the section in the codes specifically dealing with this issue. MANY camphosts get this wrong..they use misguided logic..but it IS written there on the rules and codes board in every federal facility.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:23 AM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Wow, um where and why did all this start? Was someone looking at National Park Sites?
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
When you go to several state park websites , enter your data and click on trailer sites You will be told nothing is available but reenter your data and click on RV sites and there are numerous sites to reserve . You can even enter a specific site # and get the same results, so evidently there is a difference in some ones mind between a 35 ft truck and trailer and a 35 ft RV
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #14

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Great Tip Steve! I will try that. Living in Florida we never get to camp when the weather is nice b/c we dont have the luxury of booking a year in advance with kids and school calendars, sports, Scouts etc so maybe we can slip in somewhere occasionally trying your method.

Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
When you go to several state park websites , enter your data and click on trailer sites You will be told nothing is available but reenter your data and click on RV sites and there are numerous sites to reserve . You can even enter a specific site # and get the same results, so evidently there is a difference in some ones mind between a 35 ft truck and trailer and a 35 ft RV
Old 11-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #15

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
An earlier discussion: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-rv-55951.html
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
I refer to mine as a "camper rv trailer" or sometimes even an "rv camper trailer"; but hardly ever as an "rv trailer camper".

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #17

Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
California
I refer to mine as a "camper trailer". Never an RV.

As a side note you'll find that most RV Parks won't reserve all sites and hold a few open for the drive ups. State parks and national parks I don't know about.
gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #18

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
I have seen writers on RVing act as if an RV and a motorhome are two different things. I don't know what that's about. Does anyone know the difference between an RV and a motorhome? (Unless they just mean that an RV can be other things including travel trailers.)

By the way, some if not many states pretend that a TT is a vehicle (to me, vehicles have engines.). Means registration and plate money as if it's a car.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote