Do you cook in your egg or outside? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #15

Name: Sue
Trailer: '93 Casita FD 16'
NY
When camping we mostly grill outside. I also do most of my prep outside on the picnic table. Inside I boil water (pasta, etc) or obviously, anything that is done in the microwave.

As for storage, we store a few things like coffee, cereal, snacks, and spices in one cupboard over the microwave. Everthing else goes in a plastic box in the back of the truck. We also keep a cooler with ice filled with drinks outside.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #16

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
I cook inside a 13 ft uhaul.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3159692692.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	46078

Lots of room and all my food is right there for me to choose from.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-423680581.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	46079

This what it looks like right now. I'm making corn bread with pineapple and pecans in my frying pan on my stove top for diner tonight at the Lake San Antonio Rally.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina in AZ View Post
Now how do you all store your food? In the trailer, or your car?
I normally dont carry anything in my car other than golf clubs or bikes.
All the food is stored in the fridge or on the shelf's on the bottom half of the coat closet & if to many bulky items to fit on the shelfs I might use the hatch under the front seat. I use one side of the overhead bins in the kitchen for spices and dry foods such a rice, coffee and pancake mixes etc. If I buy more fresh food than what will fit in the fridge I will take veggies out of the fridge and stick them in the cooler I normally only use for drinks.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #18

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
The microwave is inside!
But really ...When breakfast is cooked at the campgrounds it is cooked at the picnic table.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #19

Name: Tina
Trailer: Burro
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I normally dont carry anything in my car other than golf clubs or bikes.
All the food is stored in the fridge or on the shelf's on the bottom half of the coat closet & if to many bulky items to fit on the shelfs I might use the hatch under the front seat. I use one side of the overhead bins in the kitchen for spices and dry foods such a rice, coffee and pancake mixes etc. If I buy more fresh food than what will fit in the fridge I will take veggies out of the fridge and stick them in the cooler I normally only use for drinks.
This is what I have in mind for food storage with a trailer. Based on seeing a 16ft and a 13ft, I'm guessing this is only accomplished in the 16' since there is obviously more storage.

...Now to convince my hubby that the 16' is a good idea. Currently, he is leaning towards a 13', and I am leaning towards a 16'. What usually happens is that we are so good at persuading one another, we usually swap sides! Decision making for us can be quite the process!

Since we are looking for a used trailer, I'm guessing it will come down to what we can find nearby.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #20

Name: Tina
Trailer: Burro
Texas
Registry
Mouse, I just saw your post! Now that is an impressive set up! I love the IKEA(?) spices on the front of your cabinet and fridge! I guess I can get creative and make a 13' work for us
Old 05-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #21

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

Attachment 46078

Lots of room and all my food is right there for me to choose from.

Attachment 46079

This what it looks like right now. I'm making corn bread with pineapple and pecans in my frying pan on my stove top for diner tonight at the Lake San Antonio Rally.
Pretty impressive kitchen Mouse! I am still getting our kitchen the way I want it in the 17' boler. Cook inside a lot. If weather is nice and its supper time I will consider using the a fire for part of the meal. Not for boiling though because I don't like cleaning sooty pots. Don't care for microwaves or a lot of processed food. Prefer to cook from scratch. Eat a vegetarian diet and so other than a little vegetable oil, it is pretty clean. If we have a picnic table and it is nice outside I will cook inside and eat outside.
Also there is just the two of us, so no kids to complicate things.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #22

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
My wife cooks outside weather permitting. Otherwise, inside. We now have an Easy-Up so can now cook outside in less than favorable weather. Food is stored in the Egg Camper. It has enough storage space that we won't use it all. Has more closet space than our 31 ft Kodiak.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #23

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina in AZ View Post
Is it possible to do your cooking in a 13'?

16' owners, do you cook inside your trailer?
Our 1st trailer was a 13' Compact Jr. that I rebuilt from a gutted out shell. Prior to that we either tented with groups that did communal cooking, or we traveled cross-country using motels and restaurants. I envisioned the CJ as a portable motel room, so the "Kitchen" was just a base cabinet with a 12 volt thermoelectric cooler and an electric coffeemaker. Opposite was a "potty room" where the ice-box and closet storage had been. We only camped in KOA's that had electric power available, and we only made our morning coffee, or sandwiches in the trailer.

The 16' Fiber Stream has a double bowl sink, a 3-burner range with gas oven, a 4 cu-ft fridge, and a convection/microwave that occupies 1/2 of the pantry cabinet. Robert is one of the best cooks I know, and he cooks in the Fiber Stream no differently than he does at home. When he's cooking there's no room for me in there so I stay outside out of his way. He does do prep work on the bed using "Breakfast-in-bed" type trays for counter space.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #24

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
In 12 years of camping with my 13 footer I've only cooked outdoors just a couple of times. I prefer to cook inside. I do carry a Coleman stove but rarely use it.

Now of course any BBQ'ing is done outside.

Hum, I'm recalling a few years back where I took my little rotisserie and my generator and promptly rotissed a chicken outside for my Thanksgiving dinner while at Joshua Trees NP.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #25

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Food storage... In my 13' Scamp the area under the couch, in the middle. A plastic tub holds cans and packaged food. And of course, some in the fridge.
We learned camp cooking during our backpacking days. We never used freeze dried meals, but managed to make good meals with what we could carry. However, we could only carry enough for about 8 or 9 days. With the trailer it was easy to expand that and add a few more items.
I made a rule that is seldom broken, when we got the trailer. What is used in the trailer goes into the trailer, which includes all food. What is used outside goes in the back of the tow vehicle. So far this has worked pretty good for.
As I often say, this style is not for everybody, but knowing your options are a good thing.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #26

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

Attachment 46078

Attachment 46079
How did the spices hold up to your road trips - did any fall off?
I love the idea but worry about spices all over the floor on arrival.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #27

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
Cooking is done inside only for us. My wife treats the kitchen as she would at home, but inside also give her protection from wasps (she is very allergic to the stings).

She has not complained about storage space or frig space but then again she manages those things with efficiency.

What I see is that our trailer is almost unique in the amount of counter space available. My wife has wondered if the designers of most brands have ever asked their wives about what is needed for efficient cooking.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #28
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
I cook inside most of the time, especially if it's just the two of us camping. I probably wouldn't fry fish indoors, but mostly we've not had a problem with odors lingering inside the Casita, even though it has the carpeted walls (and floor). I do store most food in the Casita (under the sink/stove, or in the fridge) but big boxes of cereal, etc. may sometimes be stored in the car. I usually keep produce in a soft-side cooler, with or without a "blue ice" pack - I find the refrigerator freezes produce, no matter what I do.

Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote