Do you cook in your egg or outside? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #57
Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
We cover the miles in a variety of styles!

I tried cooking in our 13' Ventura once - I found it difficult and frustrating, and the cleaning up with that little sink was more hassle than it was worth to me. It is great that we have different views, different ways of doing things, and that we share our thoughts and observations.

We cook and eat outside, if it is wet we do it under the canopy. Perishables are inside in the fridge. Pots, dishes and all other food related items are in the back of the Element. Some items are stored in Ziplock bags (a variety of herbal teas togther, for example). Dry items like oatmeal, rice, brown sugar, go in square plastic boxes with tight fitting lids. They stack nicely and we can see what is in them.

We use a two burner propane stove. Dish water warms up while we eat and is dumped into a decent sized plastic dishpan (been using the same one for about twenty years). We take along a small container of dish soap and replenish at home during the season. We haven't travelled for longer than two weeks at a time.

One thing I find really useful is The Packing List. Over time I have created (and update sometimes) a list of what we need to pack for a trip. One column has food, one has kitchen equipment (pots, wooden spoon etc), one has general equipment (axe, lifejackets etc). There is a column for clothing and one for the oddments like cameras, books and such like. When we are thinking of going camping I go to my computer, print out the list (it is pretty comprehensive), scratch out what we won't need this time, make a shopping list for food, and pack stuff up.

Works for us!

Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #58
Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
An easy, compact way to store dry herbs and spices is in a clear plastic cylindrical container that has multiple round containers that screw into one another. The Container Store has these as do many hardware stores (they are sold for storing small items such as nails, screws, washers, etc.)

We have a couple trays with edges that we use to carry food and dishware to and from the trailer.

Washing dishes in the trailer is easy and takes only 10 minutes. The first rule of camping is "Lick your plate!" Short of that I scrape and wipe the dishware with a paper towel. I have a plastic bin (with a lid) that fits in the sink perfectly. Using this as a dishpan saves my sink from scratches and I don't have to clean it often. I place a folded dish towel or washcloth on the counter space between the sink and burners. I heat water on the far burner, away from the cloth. I wash the dishes in warm water and Camp Soap (biodegradable) in the dishpan and place damp dishes on cloth. I dump out the water and rinse. I then rinse the dishes with very hot water in the dishpan. I hand dry with a dry dishtowel and put all away in the upper cabinet.

I cut the dark green scrubbies (about 4" x 6") into 1" squares and use these to scrub pots and pans. I throw out the used scrubbie.

While in transit we keep all the dishwashing supplies in the dishpan inside the sink and have everything available at the next stop.

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #59
Name: Tracy
Trailer: purchasing a Boler
May I ask you where you found a plastic bin with a lid that fits in the sink? I have been looking for something similar. I love your set up and will likely do something somewhat the same in my 13' Boler.
CheekyTracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #60
Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
My plastic container that fits in the Scamp sink is an old one from our many years of camping. While Rubbermaid is my favorite brand for plastic containers, they no longer make this size. I did notice, however, that the little "dishpan" that they give to you when you are a patient at the hospital is just the right size! It is too tall to accommodate a cutting board and does not have a lid. If you know of someone in the hospital you could ask to keep their "dishpan" and use it until you find the correct size.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #61
Trailer: 1973 13 ft Trillium
We have a 13' Trillium and we cook a lot of our food out on the fire. Breakfast tends to be inside, as it is often boiling water and the warmth is good (no heater in our unit.) During the day, we are outside anyway. We store our food under the front bunks in large plastic containers. Plenty of room for a week or long weekend for our family of four (of course, we do eat out, too!)
Jola & Liz S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #62
Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
We cook inside. Single bowl sink which leaves an adequate if not substantial work area between sink and range top. Microwave is suspended from upper lockers which frees up space beneath. 18"X26" standard baking sheet over the rangetop is used as counterspace for cleanup after the gas burners are no longer needed. The five food containers that we store in the hanging locker (2 large size, 3 medium) contain all dry and non -perishable staples, cereal, snacks. They come out to play on the bedspread aft for the cooking end of the gig. We also have a 30"X31" table in the dinette up front. One can indeed sit down and peel potatoes. We don't cook fish or cabbage and maybe we're not that fastidious over food smells altho we might become more so if Yogi were to express an interest in the leftovers! Physically all the problems of a confined space are accentuated by high population density so of course the singletons, the empty nesters, and other lonesome types cope more easily. I might roast sausage and sliced taters in a "dinner packet" in wood coals once in a blue moon but I'm not planning on hauling around a 1 1/2 ton, miniatured simulacrum of the quotidien home kitchen and then trying to stuff it with all the stuff you'd need for a summer kitchen or BBQing.

rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote