Do you ever just go sit in your trailer? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-23-2007, 09:34 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
It's funny, because I didn't do it this summer in Washington. It still felt a little alien to me then. I think camping in the trailer made me "bond" with it. Now I like to just go in and curl up on the bed. Jack and Merlin also like it. Anyone else want to confess? (I know Gina has slept in hers in the driveway!)

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:44 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot
I don't have A/C in the house and when it gets too warm, I sleep in the trailer on the driveway.
Warren Hing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Sure, when it's in front of the house and not in storage I'll go out and just sit, think about places I'd like to go and what changes I'd like to make so it'll be more comfortable. And sometimes . . . just to sit.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Rain is a rarity this time of year where I live. Three days ago we had a thunder storm and power outage and I spent about 4 hours in my trailer listening to the rain and reading. It was very pleasant listening to the rain.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:08 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I think camping in the trailer made me "bond" with it.
Anyone else want to confess?
I store my trailer behind the building at work. Many times after work, I will go out there and sit in it instead of going directly home.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 73 Boler and 76 Surfside
I do it all the time. Every season of the year. When I was 5 years old my dad packed us up and we went on a 4 month trip to the southwest states and parts of Baja. That was begun in december of 1951. You can do the math.......it was a big part of my life at the time and to this day I guess. I love Palm trees and cactus for Christmas and I love the traditional things like snow and evergreens. I was on the San Diego Freeway before most of you were born and that trip made me a traveler. I just feel right in a trailer. That first one was a Royalcraft, (I think), single axle, about 20 feet and it finally just fell apart. I took the frame and axle and converted it to a canoe trailer for the local Boy Scouts. Its still in use today. It had a little coal stove that came out of a caboose.....yep, a train caboose,and my mom thought maybe she'd like to have something a little more convenient, so they bought a propane stove in San Diego. I still have that and I use it in a hunting camp. So now I've bored you all to tears and I guess the point is that small is better than big and cozy is always a good thing.
danny mcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Well I heartily agree with the wonderfulness of being able to fit your trailer in the garage. It wasn't a requirement when I was shopping for a trailer, but what a WONDERFUL thing when I got home with my Compact II after I bought it, and SURPRISE it cleared the doorway of my garage by 1/2"! Is that karma or what? hehe Being able to have it plugged in, so your battery is fully charged, the fridge is nice and cool, and all you've got to do is throw some clothes in and go is SOOOO nice!
Sadly now that I'm away at school and had to rent my place out, my Compact II lives in my parent's back yard. Still, she's plugged in, all ready for me whenever I need her. And as soon as school's over, she's coming HOME! hehe And sometimes when I go visit the parents, and need to just get away from everybody for a while, I'll go 'hide' in the trailer, sitting quietly, puttering around, thinking about all the GREAT mods I see on here, and contemplating my next improvement! hehe
So if we ARE nuts for loving our little trailers, well at least we have found a place where we can socialize with our own kind huh? LOL
Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:45 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I do it all the time. Every season of the year. When I was 5 years old my dad packed us up and we went on a 4 month trip to the southwest states and parts of Baja. That was begun in december of 1951. You can do the math.......it was a big part of my life at the time and to this day I guess. I love Palm trees and cactus for Christmas and I love the traditional things like snow and evergreens. I was on the San Diego Freeway before most of you were born and that trip made me a traveler. .

By golly gumbo, that makes you the same age as my younger brother.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 82 Burro 13 ft
since i bought mine, the only time i've spent in mine is to clean/gut it out... pulled cabinets stove, old wiring/plumbing... i finished cleaning the walls/ceiling/counters with bleach last weekend, so now it's starting to you promising...
after getting it "clean", i just sat in it for almost an hour, have a few smokes, drinking coffee... just imagining it... planning it out... & thinking of the places i'll go...
--- steven
steven jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:01 AM   #10

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
The trailer is the perfect place for an afternoon snooze; I'll miss it when the snow comes...
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:24 AM   #11

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Ours is stored in the back yard, plugged in, and is used for whatever comes to mind. When the spouse has a cold, snores, or coughs excessively the trailer gets used as a means for a good night's sleep. As a guest house it has accommodated temporarily homeless friends, visitors from around the globe, etc. etc. The bed is more comfortable than the one in the house.

If "the big one" comes (earthquake) and the house crumbles, we hope to have a temporary shelter too. But no, I don't "sit" in it very much, except to plan the next mod and the camping trip to test it out.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:57 AM   #12

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have spent the nite in mine on occasion in the driveway. I always do that when getting a new rig to sus out the problems before going on the road.

I also use it for "Environmental Rescue". Not in the winter, I can always keep my house warm (Gas heater, no electric needed) but in the summer when it is oo hot in the house. The fantastic fan does a great cooling job and I can sleep better with it than my power hungry box and window fans in the house.

We DO have some knarly power outages here in Hooterville, and sometimes if they last more than a few hours I go "Live" in the trailer until it comes back on. This will happen at least once in the winter.

I have to get my generator fixed The fuel lines froze and split last winter.. I have neglected it.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:05 AM   #13

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
My Casita sits inside an insulated shop building right behind my house. Before I moved to the plains it lived on an apron beside my garage. Now it has a home of its own, which it has to share with other equipment and gear.

Sometimes I go out and just sit at the side-dinette table, maybe to have a glass of beer or just to sit and think. (I always liked that old saw: "Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits!")

The dogs like to share these moments. They bounce in and get up on the big rear bed, gathering the covers for a little snooze. Often they will keep their eyes on me, expectantly, as if to ask "Where are we going this time, dad?" But they soon realize we are just "sitting" for the time being and drift into their little snoozes.

Part of the pleasure of this revery is that all of the past trips are still here. The Casita is a little cocoon of memories. And a great meditation chapel in which to relive them. Trips to come are also here, just waiting to become reality.

Yes, it's a pleasant little ritual to go out and sit in Otra and think about the past and the future. Or maybe just to sit. That works too!
Robert Brummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:33 AM   #14

Trailer: 17 ft 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe
A great place to read, watch football and take a nap. What a great club house.
Jim Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Thank Goodness.... I guess that MS "Always Right" and I are not abnormal afterall. We have been known to spend the night in the Scamp in the driveway "just because". And if it rains, we run for the Scamp 'cause it just sounds better-- can't hear the patter of rain thru the house roof. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #16

Trailer: 1987 13 ft Casita
Yep. I've only had it a couple of months but I've had plenty of "just sit in it" moments!

I was talking to my Dad a couple of weeks ago and he asked me where I was (cell phones cause this kind of questioning).
I said, "in my camper!".
He asked, "where?".
"In my driveway", I replied.
He just chuckled.

I LOVE my Dad for getting me this wonderful camper!

Paula
Paula Bindrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:22 AM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I've been following this topic and I've come to the conclusion that you guys are nuts.
No Anne and myself on the other hand have an a good excuse. You see Kerby lives in the trailer full time. Even though Kerby has a pet kitty, he still needs some company every once in while. So one us will go sit the trailer to keep Kerby company. Kerby's the guy in my avatar.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:19 PM   #18

Trailer: 2004 Trillium Outback
Any way we can make more use of our great little trailers is a good way to go.

As for me, my hobby is astrophotography and I keep my telescope set up next to my trailer and when I'm doing mega hour photography sessions I run all the cables into my trailer and sit in there to monitor the progress. Can watch tv, turn on the furnace (especially when it's -20C outside), and have a snooze if I want. A lot cheaper than building a dedicated observatory and I can take it with me when I travel

Steve
Steve Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:16 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Candi Woods
When we first got our camper last summer I went out almost everyday to sit and drink my coffee in the morning after the kids went to school. The camper was in the driveway only two steps from our back door, as it still is. I would get out all the brochures and info that came with it and read every word about my new toy. Sometimes I would take my laptop out there and work . It was warm then and I would open all the windows and let the breeze blow through, thinking about where we were going to go. Now the bed is made up and usually stays that way so I don't sit there to drink my coffee anymore but I still go out and lay down, looking at what I could do to make it better than it already is. If I ever had one, my camper could truly be considered my "nest egg".
Candi Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:46 PM   #20

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
We have a three-person, two-bedroom one-bathroom house, so yes, I do go "sit" there sometimes! (Or usually shout at someone else to go there!)

It's the Sleepover room from April to October, or when kid has friends over to play and they're too noisy and it's too cold to play outside:"Go play in the Boler! Bring Lego or Comics, but just go!"
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote