Do You Have a Roving Eye? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Do You Have a Roving Eye?

OK, I know that you truly love your current camper and you have both been through a lot together. You've pampered her, repaired her, modded and updated her. You've shared good times and traveled extensively together.

But...........what would it take for you to jump ship? Say you saw this camper nearby and at a price you couldn't believe. What would that look like?

I will probably be looking for a larger camper in 3 years when my DW finishes at the salt mines. My attention has been drawn to the Oxygens, which pop up north of the border occasionally. Though beautiful, I wonder if we could be truly happy together. Is that lovely shape too big a compromise in utility?

Then there are the Burro Wide bodies. Lots of gleaming fiberglass gel coat inside that I have come to appreciate, and much more room. Ah but that 3 martini lunch workmanship. Would I spend all my time trying to undo what Escondido did?

And if I just got a Scamp, would that be just settling? I mean we are talking about a break up here - and just for adequate mediocrity?

Now, I know what you trailer polygamists will say. Just buy a bunch of them and use them as you see fit. Sorry, I'm an old fashioned guy and my heart belongs to one camper at a time.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
We've been thru some things together,
With bus loads of memories to come.
We found leaks to fix in stormy weather,
Long may you run.

I wanna a big honkin moto home wit five sliders!

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #3

Delaware
You know your way around UHaul. Why not the VT? Know too much? Need some novelty in the F. O. R. D. Dept?

jack
Old 04-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #4

Delaware
. . . and I don't believe for an instant that the paesans had a shaker full at lunchtime, probably something stronger. Hard life! You might be surprised at how rational the Lala Burros are by design.

Bad stuff: inadequate fridge install, minimum capacity axle and tires (3K and 13s), central "Pullman car" overhead just 73", workmanship points to get er did expediency (and something stronger at lunchtime). I think Escondido never really got out of the development stage and into fully patterned, fully tooled, familiar as what I did yesterday and the day before, rationalized production, particularly in the assembly rather than glass fab phase. As I understand it, the shells were laid up in Mexico. From what I've seen they're reasonably heavy and void free--especially the interor shells.

jack
Old 04-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
A Willerby or an Oxygen, but then....

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
You know your way around UHaul. Why not the VT? Know too much? Need some novelty in the F. O. R. D. Dept?

jack
While I think that the CT is truly an excellent 13 footer, I'm not convinced that the VT is an excellent 16 footer. With the extra 3 feet come a lot more expectations in terms of plumbing, water heater, under body tanks, shower and toilet execution, air conditioning, brake performance and bed size. I think that others have done 16 footers better.

This is not a dis on the VT, as it is a well built trailer and if I found one in great shape and at a good price, I'd consider it. But we are talking about breaking up an intimate relationship here, so any move to another trailer would have to justify the tears.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
If I were younger I'd build what I want. Everything that I see is only marginally better than what I have.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Funny just yesterday while giving my trailer its spring wash and wax and cleaned out of stuff that its usefulness doesn't warrant the space it takes up inside, I found myself discussing this topic with it. I love my little trailer & still happy with how well it has aged but as I explained to it that due to the time we have spent together and many many wonderful trips, I now have a better idea as to what I need in a trailer to make it an even happier union in the years to come. I admitted that as I am going to have to replace my tug pretty soon that it may be a game changer in regards to our time together. Also admitted that there is a nice new shiny fiberglass trailer up in the valley with a layout I know would fit better with the length of trips I intend to take more of in the future - but then again every once in awhile an ad for a used trailer just a little bigger than the new one in the valley appears for a fiberglass brand that I suspect I might be even happier with. Admitted though that what I end up with may depend on how big my Lotto win is or how well my investment adviser has done his job over the next while and how big of a new tug I decide I can live with. But then again a neighbour recently added a shiny silver trailer to their back yard and as I washed my trailer yesterday I found my eyes roving over in that direction & thinking as I need a bigger tug any ways...... hummmmmm
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
My attention has been drawn to the Oxygens, which pop up north of the border occasionally. Though beautiful, I wonder if we could be truly happy together. Is that lovely shape too big a compromise in utility?
The Oxygen is indeed a cool trailer but be warned inside IMO isnt nearly as cool as the outside. Stock it is really lacking a lot of functionality and storage space in the layout. We have had a few attend rallies on the coast and one of them over the last couple of years has had a major redo inside and it is way more functional now than it was when it was first purchased by the current owner with the stock interior. But the current owner has some amazing carpentry & fiberglass skills - all custom done wood cabinets as well as some custom fiberglass cabinets. Done so well you would not know looking at it that it was all done in someones back yard. I don't want to know how many hours that have been put into making that Oxygen's interior as functional & nice looking inside as it is now but its a pretty good guess its probably a lot more than most of us here would be willing to spend on it or have the skills to do.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Carol,

What features do you seek?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
If I were younger I'd build what I want. Everything that I see is only marginally better than what I have.
Me too Norm...............I still watch vid's of boat and trailer builds.

We bought a new car......wife says you can quit looking at cars now.
We bought a new pickup......wife ways you can quit looking at pickups now.
Now we have a new trailer.........wife says I can quit looking at trailers now.

Then she says quit looking at that girl...........I say, what girl, I didn't see one.

I finally got myself a apple computer, but I still look at the computers.

I don't know, is that a roving eye?
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #12

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
The Oxygen is indeed a cool trailer but be warned inside IMO isnt nearly as cool as the outside. Stock it is really lacking a lot of functionality and storage space in the layout. We have had a few attend rallies on the coast and one of them over the last couple of years has had a major redo inside and it is way more functional now than it was when it was first purchased by the current owner with the stock interior. But the current owner has some amazing carpentry & fiberglass skills - all custom done wood cabinets as well as some custom fiberglass cabinets. Done so well you would not know looking at it that it was all done in someones back yard. I don't want to know how many hours that have been put into making that Oxygen's interior as functional & nice looking inside as it is now but its a pretty good guess its probably a lot more than most of us here would be willing to spend on it or have the skills to do.
I have seen the Oxygen interior pictures and have wondered why they went so lean on storage. But it doesn't stop my roving eye per the thread subject from dreaming of a super hot threeway with the Burro and the O2.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Carol,

What features do you seek?
Mostly I want a dining table that isn't also my bed! In my perfect world it would be nice to have one that sits four for playing cards or board games on rainy nights which as you know we have a lot of here on the wet coast.

Kitchen counter space - at least the same as what I have now. I would not be able to live with the small amount of counter space I see on so many of the smaller trailers that have a side dinette.

Big windows front and rear.

Bigger bed than what I have now.

A slightly bigger bathroom - so I can actually turn around in the bathroom when showering. Being a guy I doubt you have ever tried to shave your legs in that tiny bathroom of your scamp!!

An awning that isn't a case awning (hate fighting with that thing to close it) and preferable one thats a little bit bigger than what I currently have.

Lots of storage spaces. Want to be able to easily get at the hard to reach ones such as under back benches from the outside. I also like having a closet one can hang things in - which is probably another girl thing.

Built in tanks and battery monitors. Nothing worse than getting up in the middle of the night to use the washroom only to step into a big puddle of grey water that has backed up into the shower pan (which also happens to be the whole bathroom floor in my Scamp), due to having lost count of how many times and how big the extra totes of water I have already poured into the fresh water tank were while on an extended dry camping trip.

A slightly bigger fridge that will actually hold a quart of ice cream in the freezer or a bottle of tequila. ;-) and preferable one that can occasionally run on 12v but doesn't drain the battery in an hour or two.

Good roof venting & at least one Fantastic fan.

A least one or two windows that can be opening in the rain.

Other little things that I know if not on the trailer but aware they are easy to add as I have done with my current one are solar panels & outside receptacles.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I guess Anne and I are little weird. I look at other RVs and have seen nothing that would rather have than what we have. I made comments to Anne and see agrees with me. There are no "I wants" when it comes to trailers. We have the perfect trailer.

I did see one trailer that I thought would be fun to have in addition to the Scamp. It was an early Soro Scotty 13'. The couple that owned it said they had a few more. It's main attraction would the head turning effect.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #15

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I guess Anne and I are little weird. I look at other RVs and have seen nothing that would rather have than what we have. I made comments to Anne and see agrees with me. There are no "I wants" when it comes to trailers. We have the perfect trailer.

I did see one trailer that I thought would be fun to have in addition to the Scamp. It was an early Soro Scotty 13'. The couple that owned it said they had a few more. It's main attraction would the head turning effect.
That's called contentment........woo hoo.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #16

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Roving eye? I suppose! I always look at travel trailers, rv's, not that I am changing anytime soon. But even when we owned our 2 different Class A's I looked at others. Never meant I would have sold either of them to purchase something different unless our needs had changed we were satisfied with what we had. Just as when our needs changed, we downsized to a Casita. I am fine with it and can honestly say there are only 2 trailers at this time that would make me sell the Casita and buy them. First and foremost is a Willerby! But odds of finding one are not in my favor! Then an Escape 19, and frankly I came real close to putting in an order last fall. But reality is, I don't really need it. My Dh's health is such, he hasn't camped with me for a couple years now. Do I need a 19? Hmmmm, not really! Would I like a 19, oh hell yes! Just need to justify making a change for something that at this point in my life isn't getting used as much as it should get used.

Nothing wrong with a roving eye! Use to tell my Dh, he could look all he wanted. But if he was gonna stray that direction, he needed to take his dirty laundry and false teeth with him!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #17

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I fear I'm handicapped in that I already own the perfect trailer...my roving eye roves only to further assure me of that truth.

I certainly wouldn't trade my inside-and-out molded trailer for any of the current crop of half-n-halfs (Molded shell with all-wood skeletal support doubling as cabinetry).

I do admit to a certain attraction to the all-aluminum Camplite, but I attribute that to my feminine weakness for shiny objects rather than to any serious desire for the trailer itself.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #18

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I of course agree with Francesca..... Except, there are a lot of Trilliums out there. While I would never stray in my marriage, I am a polygamist as far as Trilliums are concerned.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Trillium and 1989 Bigfoot (named 'Swanky')
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Donna R
Oh Thank you Dave
After your post I can admit (without the usual embarassment) that we too also think the 4500 is the perfect trailer for us , but that didn't stop us from buying the bargain 1300 Trillium , and then the also bargain 17 foot Bigfoot.
But the Trilliums rule.
Everyone thinks we're crazy. Sometimes I think we might be too.
But now........ well, you''ve set the bar to a new height.
Thank you
Donna R
Donna R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #20

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Yep, I'm bat poop crazy. Just ask my kids.
While I currently own four Trilliums, the second least expensive one was a 4500, but I got very lucky on that one, very lucky. I used to feel bad about it, but Francesca did even better.
What is sad, is that the two trailers that I want for my wife and I, after the kids all get their trailers, are not yet in my possession. I want to redo a front bathroom 4500 to have the same floor plan as a front bath Scamp 16, layout 6, or the 13 layout 2. That will be for when we travel together as a couple. The other Trillium 4500 I want is a front dinette, with the bunk above the rear dinette. It feeds 6 and sleeps 5. It would be good for when we take the hypothetical grand kids camping.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote