Do you know this man? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2008, 08:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Do you know this man....I recently purchased a trailer from him... not one to tarnish the good name of another I will call him "Joe"....Joe thinks he is handy..quite handy...so handy he shuns common sense and by passes the directions on the back of any product he used upon my trailer....Joe has lots of screws in his garage, none of which seem to have any stainless quality what so ever..despite possibly knowing this "Joe" put them on the exterior of my Scamp in various places...I figured he must have had them in his garage because I would hate to think he actually made the trip to the hardware store to purchase steel screws (the rusty kind) that bleed down the side of the trailer like some kind of nasty wound....Ah, thank you Joe, I was not bored today thanks to you. Joe must have been some sort of product tester, this I have discovered thanks to the various goo stuck to the trailer that varies from soft and flakey to the downright cemented...interesting choice Joe, I was never able to use the same removal method twice because of you. You did give me quite a scare..at this I can now laugh, Imagine my surprise when I went to extract the rusty steel rivet( please say those where in your garage and that you didn't make a special trip) behind the fridge only to have black oil ooze out.....you really had me worried thought I might have hit some sort of reserve and ruined my fridge, no the oil was how shall I describe this...hhhhummm...was it roofing tar? once I pulled off the vent and loads of wet sand drippled down I was able to see that the black tar, once heated by my drill turned it liquid...nice Joe truley I was worried...but I do appreciate that you tried to repair it...I get that, but steel rivets? I was just at the store and aluminum are way cheaper! No doubt you strutted about like a male peacock after finishing off that fine project, "Yep fixed that myself you would say to your camping buddies"...Quality work there buddy ......Ahhh silicone, you must have really loves the stuff....and judging by all the colors you really have quite a variety...of course you don't subscribe to the less is more, forget the "use sparingly" warning on the back go on goop it on what harm could it do.....where to go next, how about that hasp you put on, steel naturaly, no galvanized around your place...of course the first hole you drilled was off so you had to put in four more..now again I am cheap, really cheap, but an exterior handle cost the same as a hasp and a padlock and far easier to install....Now I hate to think of all the fancy do it yourselfer projects you have going on in your house and thankfully I know where not to buy a home......Well Joe I was thinking of you today and looking on the bright side of this I do want to thank you...since you did not realize the value of the item you had as you stated it was a wedding gift...I was able to get a screaming deal on the Scamp...thank you Joe.
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Brandy, would it be safe to say you were/are LESS than happy with your latest purchase?

You can come, cry on my shoulder here in May....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:44 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
There are chemical products out there for removing the rust stains from the FG (the iron oxide gets down in the pores). Don't try to sand them down as you will remove two much fiberglass.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:55 PM   #4

Name: Derek
Trailer: 2007 Bigfoot 25b25rq
Washington
Recently I have been working on cleaning up the exterior of our trailer. One product recommended on the boat forums for removing rust is "Barkeeper's Friend". It is a powder and comes in a container like "Comet". It did a great job removing rust stains from the fiberglass. They have it at Walmart.

Derek

Quote:
There are chemical products out there for removing the rust stains from the FG (the iron oxide gets down in the pores). Don't try to sand them down as you will remove two much fiberglass.
Derek Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Brandy, would it be safe to say you were/are LESS than happy with your latest purchase?

You can come, cry on my shoulder here in May....
NO, not at all I LOVE the Scamp...just amazed at all the do it yourselfer..things that where hidden...I enjoy a great project and I am digging into things now to get it "just so" that most wouldn't do until water started leaking in...I was just resealing the windows today...which lead to the stove vent...which lead to the vents behind the fridge...which will lead to ???? Can't wait to meet all the people...just thought some would appreciate the funny story...Brandy
Old 03-18-2008, 09:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
This is one of the reasons why I enjoy keeping and maintaining things original as much as possible. So many of the mods and quick fix-up jobs out there can be hard to understand like an abstract work of art. Although... even manufacturers have used steel rivets in dumb places before they started knowing better.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:56 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Oxalic acid will dissolve iron oxides. West_Marine_oxalic_acid

George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Another case of the dreaded...P.O.D. Previous Owners Disease... Wait I need 3 screws to attach this...but I only have two that match oh well!!! S/S naw...just a regular one will do!!! Aluminium... too soft. 60psi water hose...naw I got some hydraulic hose that'll fit!!! Take out the windows and re-seal with butyl caulking...naw I got some silly cone in my caulking gun!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Hey Brandy, I know this man! He is my EX husband!

Oh! the stories that Peter could tell about the state of my poor house after that man was done "fixing" it up....

--Lynne

lynneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:52 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
you were lucky.

at least your ex knew what a tool was...

and it IS rampant... btw. Tonite I was in Lowes looking for just the right hinges for my fold up into the rockguard solar panel mounting project. The kid that was "helping" was confused that once I found the right mechanical config that I pulled two galvanized parts out of the "expensive" bin instead of using the pretty polished zinc plated ones. (5 bucks vs. 3 bucks woo hoo)

"These look better and they are cheaper!" ah, kid.. there is a reason why they galvanize stuff. Even tho he was told the application, it didn't sink in and I had to explain my limited understanding of galvanizing vs. plating.

I think he works in the trash can dept mostly...

I should have gone and grunted at Home Depot instead.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:48 AM   #11

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Try Navel jelly worked GREAT for me to remove stains in fiberglass.
http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarestore.co...lly-663258.aspx
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:52 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
This is one of the reasons why I enjoy keeping and maintaining things original as much as possible.
I've seen plenty of screwed up "original" jobs. Maintenance is the problem.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:53 AM   #13

Trailer: 75 Boler
Quote:
I've seen plenty of screwed up "original" jobs. Maintenance is the problem.
Now now people, Their are remodeled bolers out there where people knew/know what they were/are doing. Don't shun all of us. he-he-he-he
Mike Montville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:37 AM   #14

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
He's the guy who glued this on my Scamp...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	12106

and decorated the inside like this...

Name:	IMG_0014.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	12107

& installed stuff this way...

Name:	IMG_0034.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	12108

Remember, they walk among us...
ConwayBob
Old 03-19-2008, 12:23 PM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Attachment 12106

Attachment 12107

Attachment 12108

ConwayBob
Hmmmpphhhhh--- And here I thought I was pretty handy.... I'll just go eat worms... Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:20 PM   #16

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Ok, that vent repair is just plain nasty... though I think I could fix it up with some more silicon caulk... yeah, and a maybe a combo of duct tape and some red electrical tape to match the scamp colors... that's the ticket.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:16 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
You guys should revel in the facts that you got your rig for the price you did (and it was unsold when you found it) -- If it had looked really good, it might not have been there!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:48 PM   #18

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
That lamp! What a great idea! I have a lamp like that in the garage.
I can't wait till it gets warm enough to open the Burro and mount that lamp.

This site is so full of good ideas.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Attachment 12106

Attachment 12107

Attachment 12108

ConwayBob

AHahahahahhah. ....not to laugh at your situation...but that light..WOW...and the silicone whooo wee what is that like two or three tubes of that stuff....thanks for the laugh! most definatley related but your guy has quite a knack for the silicone...mines more of a rusty screw kinda guy...Brandy
Old 03-23-2008, 10:17 PM   #20

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1996 Dakota 4x4 V6
I agree with pjanits! I've seen mods before, but after reading this
post, I can't wait to get started!!!
Palmer M is offline   Reply With Quote