Do you use a paper map? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #15
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I always have an atlas laid out when I "plan" a trip.
Being an ex-trucker I can head out in any direction without them.

I mark and log my route, high-light all the state parks on the map,
then go to the computer to log every Walmart, etc. along said route.
Then I print it out with addresses and phone numbers. I don't stop at
all of them, but I know when and where they come up. I use the addresses
in the GPS to drive right to them. When not relying on the GPS I still use it
on "view" to see the roads off the sides, the waterways, and especially to
see what side roads are actually dead ends.

I use both worlds. But will always be an OLD school type guy.

carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #16
Name: Steven
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
We have a GPS , a Road Atlas . and a large collection of state maps We use them all

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #17
Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
OK, a GPS would be good for some things...cities, interstates, and other roads. However, out in the boonies where I live the GPS could send you down a "goat trail" like it once did to a friend of mine from SD who was driving a brand new Audi. There was a better way to get to my house, better gravel road but a couple of miles longer than the goat trail which I only take in my pick-up when I want to check out what my neighbors are doing.
Imo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #18
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I've had two very annoying bloopers with one of my GPS's.
One took me around and around and around lake roads.
Then I crossed a wooden bridge like you might see in "Deliverance."
At the other side of the bridge was a 90 degree turn and a small town.

Needless to say I had to get out the map to see where I was and how to
get out of there.

The last one took me down very long dirt farm roads.
Needless to say I was the only one on the road for some time.
My car was covered in chalky dust. I guess again it saved 50 feet in travel.

I have a new expensive model and so far it has been a peach.
Especially through metropolitans.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #19
Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
i LOVE a paper map. i pick them up at all the state/provincial tourist offices and update each year when/if i am in the area. we do have a GPS and there have definitely been incidents where it has been terrific, like travelling on an expressway in a strange city, needing an exit and being told exactly when to turn off....but it has also taken us down some really "iffy" roads and also made us do some road changes that resulted in about a 2-second-shorter trip.
i will always prefer a "real" map.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #20
Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe Remodeled
I love the paper maps and my atlas to sit back at night and figure what route I may want to take the next day or two. I'm one that likes to get off of the interstate hwy and venture out in the hills or where ever so the paper ones are nice. I also love my GPS and my iphone and will never be without a GPS again. I guess you could say....I want it all!
Mary Ann & Butch
1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe Remodeled, 08 Trailblazer
2011 Schnauzer "Butch"
God's Country, Northern Minnesota
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #21
Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
For me, when I use a GPS to get somewhere, I am dependent on it to get me back. If I look at a map and figure it out, once I get there I know where I am and how to get back. I also tend to notice more of my surroundings when I'm not just following GPS, or Siri.

That being said, there's nothing like a GPS to tell you where you when you are lost. Unless you happen to like asking for directions.

Doesn't AAA still give out free maps? I haven't asked for them in a while.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:37 AM   #22
Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
I went green, GPS for me. I don't miss trying to read a map while driving, especially when that road you needed was blocked off for construction, and now you have to think fast.

The GPS had traffic and construction updates, and goes right past all of it, 95%of the time.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:23 AM   #23
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Imo., the large print Atlas I have tried to use, were missing all the fun small roads. Had to go back to the regular print ones and a magnifying glass.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #24
Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Here in Ontario road maps are costly, but I like them. Gps is great for finding addresses in towns and citys, great for finding local eaterys too.
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #25
Name: Kd
Trailer: Scamp
I can't rely on a gps anymore.

I took a road trip alone a couple of months ago. I took my gps and had my phone. I flew into Vegas...rented a car for a 6 day road trip...drove straight to Joshua Tree, Palm Springs, then Venice Beach and turned the car in at gps was crap. Those who know the area will laugh at me...i seriously cried half way through the Mojave because i was so afraid of being stranded gps no iphone signal no food no water and no sense. I was so thankful that i had printed out mapquest directions for 'just incase'...and this is something i NEVER do...i always depend on gps and iphone. The Magellan company said it was because i went over 900 miles with it so quickly and it needed to be reset...not the was giving me all kinds of crazy directions. I ended up stopping in Yucca Valley and buying a Garmin. I knew there was no way i would be able to make it through LA without one.

Such a stressful first day of the road trip. I love Joshua Tree. I can't wait to go again...with an ATLAS and a road map!
_Scamp87_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #26
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I'm considering replacement of our 2007 Road Atlas at the navigators suggestion. I like paper maps. But with several mapping options online as well as GPS receivers I wonder how many others still use paper maps. Perhaps like printed newspapers, they are on the way out? Just curious. Raz
The GPS can sometimes get confused or have other ideas from yours. Sometimes there's no "on-line" to be had.
A good paper map brings a reassuring comfort, knowing it's there when you need it.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #27
Commercial Member
Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Most of the problems I've seen with GPS units is that the map data is either inaccurate or outdated. I tried to contact all the major mapping companies such as Navteq when we mapped our county, there was no interest in getting accurate data for free. Same with UPS, FedEx- a delivery driver was grousing about finding addresses, I explained the scheme to him in about 30 seconds, if you can find the road, you can find the address. It's been over 6 years now, none of the large map providers has updated either road names or addresses. Funny thing is, I had people who sent in "corrections" to Google, they changed them to the wrong name without any verification. Would seem to be better to get a complete dataset in standard format from the agency that is legally responsible for naming roads, but I guess they don't care.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #28
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
I use both worlds. But will always be an OLD school type guy.
Having lived in Southern California for 36 years, I am accustomed to using the Thomas Guide. I keep the "latest" San Diego/Imperial County and Portland editions in the car. I have older Los Angeles/Orange County and San Bernardino/Riverside editions in my desk drawer at home. When planning trips I use Google Maps. I was given a Magellan GPS for Christmas, and its in the car, but it usually stays in its box.

Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote