Do you use a paper map? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #61

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
They weren't using anything, including their brains and common sense. I don't care if it IS the right road, if the conditions are that bad, stay home. If you don't have food, water, pack boots, straps, tire chains, a shovel, winter clothing, and a heat source…stay home. If kids are with, stay home!

I will drive in bad winter conditions, but I also carry a ridiculous amount of winter gear with me.
I was always flabbergasted at the couple and baby that "survived" their own stupidity and they made a movie out of it. They left for a long trip to visit to family in a snow storm with not so much as winter shoes or coat.

In the middle of nowhere they pulled over and took the chains off because the road was plowed and they could go faster without the chains. Then turned down a "not maintained" road, got stuck, set out hiking toward the next town on the unplowed road they were on. Eventually (a day or two later) the husband hiked back to the plowed road and was discovered by the plow driver who was going through about every hour.

The husband and wife lost their toes to frost bite, the baby was ok. All because they had no gear and were not bright enough to figure out that a road plowed well enough during a snow storm to not need chains would have a plow show up pretty soon.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #62

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Then there was the couple from the Interior of BC who last winter decided to follow a short cut route on the GPS to Las Vegas in the middle of March - over snow covered closed gravel roads and through the mountains. She was found in May still alive in the van that was still stuck in the snow and who knows how she survived - he has never been found.

No GPS can ever have enough safeguards built into it to prevent people from making very silly mistakes.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #63

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Then there was the couple from the Interior of BC who last winter decided to follow a short cut route on the GPS to Las Vegas in the middle of March - over snow covered closed gravel roads and through the mountains. She was found in May still alive in the van that was still stuck in the snow and who knows how she survived - he has never been found.

No GPS can ever have enough safeguards built into it to prevent people from making very silly mistakes.
Yes, I have had a GPS suggest I turn down a very narrow alley one time !

I still have an old Garmin gps plus three on one of my motorcycles. I used to map out trips on the computer using street atlas, and then plug in the lat/long manually for each waypoint. It actually worked well. A bit time consuming, but fun nonetheless.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #64

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I used gps to take us to our. Campground as a trial. Instead of taking us in thr main road it took us in the emergency fire road. A road few rvs would want to drive. We drove it in the crv and I wouldn't tow my trailer on it. Gps and maps in combo with realistic oversite.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #65

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
This may be a bit harsh, but those who drive into the lake because the GPS told them there was a road there, or those who travel down cow paths thinking they are on an interstate are probably deserving of what they get. Neither paper maps or a GPS are not replacements for thinking.

I am comfortable with both, but let neither do my thinking for me.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #66

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13(sold!) & TDI tugboat
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
I use maps, atlas, GPS and phone GPS software. Since we had a new tablet (Cell phone cap.) I decided to download Copilot as suggested by Thom (Parkliner). I ordered USA and Canada maps for about $15 (USA only about $10). The only issue was the initial map download takes quite a while.
With a 10" tablet the display is really great and eaisly readable. It really helps if you have a real copilot to manage the tablet. What I like the most is trip planning. When I asked for a route it ploted me three differnt routes and gave me mileage and time for each route at the bottom of the screen. You just select which you want one you want to take. It also lets you drag and drop your route if you want to take another route. We have only used it on one 250 mile trip but so far we are impressed.
Eddie, Your setup sounds like exactly the thing we are looking for. Can you tell us luddites in detail what type of tablet you're using, operating system, is there any external GPS antenna required, etc?
Does it require a cellphone data connection to function, or are the maps native and the GPS hardware is onboard? I really hate the idea of needing cell service for navigation. I usually need help navigating precisely when we are farthest from steady cell service.
Thanks!
Old 06-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #67

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
I generally just use my phone (Google maps or whatever app I am using at the time) and the GPS. Works great most of the time, however my most recent trip down Route 66 proved to me that you can't always rely on electronics as using them to try and navigate the old Route was impossible. I bought a few different books and maps and they worked great keeping me on the original Route(s).
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #68

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyEd View Post
I generally just use my phone (Google maps or whatever app I am using at the time) and the GPS. Works great most of the time, however my most recent trip down Route 66 proved to me that you can't always rely on electronics as using them to try and navigate the old Route was impossible. I bought a few different books and maps and they worked great keeping me on the original Route(s).
And this is an example of where some books/maps on the old route, coupled with a mapping program on the computer could generate some lat/long waypoints to plug into my antique garmin plus3 would work well.

I think most of these newer cheaper consumer gps units like the magellen I have, do not have the option of plugging in waypoints as defined by lat/long.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #69

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I don't even have a cell phone, so I guess y'all can guess that I'm a paper map user.

My "checking local conditions backup" is the universally available Old Guys Drinking Coffee at The Local Cafe.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #70
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I don't even have a cell phone

Francesca
There are 5 people in the world (myself included) that do not own a cell phone. I now know three of them!

A commonly encountered exchange

"And your cell phone number?"

"Don't have one"

"You don't have a cell phone?"

"No, the only person I really want to hear from is usually within shouting distance."

"Boy, I wish I didn't have one"

Back to our regularly scheduled program. Raz.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #71

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
There are 5 people in the world (myself included) that do not own a cell phone. I now know three of them!

Important Full Disclosure Confession

I do have an old inactive cell phone that I begged off a friend once I found out that as long as you keep them charged you can dial 911 anyplace you go...if that breaks me back to a "half-person" in the count, I accept the judgement

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #72

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I've have a few GPS units 2 that hook up to laptops, Garmins model 5, 12, Nuvi and Cell Phone one. I have used mil ones that is about the same as the model 12. In 2003 was issued a Plugger GPS, my model 12 was faster picking up signals and more accurate.. But I was using a map I bought in a gas station in Kuwait to get around in Iraq no I'm not joking.. I looked at the Plugger and said what do I need it for. I've seen Mil and Civ GPS units get more people lost, and lead people to closed roads and bridge outs.. 08 in Iraq the mil system in my vehicles would show just a blank screen with no road/ terrain data at times. 15 Jun I was using GPS and ended up having to back track 25 miles due to it leading me to a road closed bridge out, bridge washed out over 6 months before this is after it being updated. I use and keep maps. can plan routes better in most cases, avoiding traffic and other problems. I learned not to trust GPS and "Map Quest" in 2000 Map Quest directions from San Berndino Ca, said to go west out of Airport when traveling toward Death Valley.. This is why I'd rather depend on Maps. Cell Phone = electronic leash best and worst thing I got.. My first one back in early 90s
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #73

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
I still love my IPhone and instant information it gives me but I have learned to always have a backup plan or two a available for those times (which happen quite often) when there is no cell phone signal or wi-fi. I have even been teaching my boys how to read maps and use their compasses so I k ow they won't be ignorant to the "ok fashioned" ways, but more so because soon they will be sitting in the passenger seat navigating for me.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #74

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Cell Phone = electronic leash

You and me both Darrell.
I have a trak phone. I don't call anyone and
seldom get a call. But I have it as a leash in
those big stores. Or tell the wife I'm in the car.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #75

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
A picture worth a thousand words (or at least a few pages of posts)
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #76

NE Oklahoma
I like that Roger.
And if I were following a GPS to that point,
I would be appreciating the sign.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:59 AM   #77

Name: Kd
Trailer: Scamp
SouthEast
Registry
There's a campground near Asheville that I go to that gives a disclaimer something like....here's the directions do not trust your gps it will not be correct.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:56 AM   #78
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Well, technically, the GPS is pretty accurate, it's the directions that are off. Even a cell phone GPS chip these days is usually accurate to within 10 feet after it acquires enough sats. Then again, think of how many times people have given you wrong or confusing directions, the GPS companies aren't doing too bad. You just have to be a little bit smarter than the box.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #79

NE Oklahoma
I love how my GPS has a woman always trying to get the last word
and I can just ignore her.