Do You Use Suitcases? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-21-2016, 11:00 AM   #21

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
I like thing put away, out of sight. I have a casita Liberty. I use the right side upper cabinet for underwear and swim wear. The rear top is for extra bedding and as my bed is permanent I don't like climbing over the bed for clothing. I use two plastic bins under the bed for my regular clothing and have a cloth shoe bin holder with a plastic shoe box in each slot in the closet for miscellaneous stuff which leaves room for my coat and hanging blouses. I just tuck my pjs under my pillow during the day. I also used my tape label machine to mark each shoebox with contents, saves time!
I made a curtain that goes across the space under the bed..everything nice and tidy!
I keep one of of those net foldable laundry containers in the bottom of the closet for soiled laundry. It leaves me room for my boots and lantern in the closet bottom too.
You will figure it out!
Leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:09 AM   #22

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
suit cases? No way

Too hard. We use duffles under the bed with personal dopp kits in the above storage. I do keep a box of emergency cold weather blankets and gear behind the duffles. I put a cord through a hole in the box so I can pull it out easily without crawling under the bed to retrieve it. We do keep rain gear in the closet near the door to grab if needed. You will figure it all out. Good luck.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:28 PM   #23

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
The rear over head cabinet holds undies, socks, jammies and good tops/blouses folded neatly. I have large things like sweats as well as good jeans/slacks in a large container under the bed, beside it I usually have one extra pair of shoes.

I don't carry hanging clothes so I revamped the closet, it now has 2 shelves above the base. The lower shelf has tees, shorts and jeans folded and rolled neatly. The upper shelf has Lily's jackets, leashes, collars and towels/wash clothes plus my bath carry bag which contains, soap, quarters, shampoo and zorries.

The base of the closet has all my toileteries, kleenix, TP, first aid, creams, aspirin etc.

I have a hook inside behind the little screen wall which holds my jacket/rain coat. All otherjackets/shoes are in the tow vehicle.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:35 PM   #24

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Like Alf we split the trailer in half, she gets the top part and I'm relegated to the bottom half.... and like Jon mentions, plastic tubs are great because they become your suitcases and are see through. I'll fill one with rain gear and another with personal items, clean clothes go in bins in the closet shelves, no hanging items. First aid and prescription items are in the upper as well as games and books for those rainy nights. Like your home, you will find a place for most items except for the empty suitcases, leave them at your house. Oh, those compression travel bags are great for clothes and bed items, I put a bar of soap inside and they smell wonderful. See here https://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-Lug...mpression+bags
Old 07-22-2016, 06:10 AM   #25

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... I have an aversion to suitcases. Why? My parents gave me one for Christmas when I was 20.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:28 AM   #26

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
That was a hint, Alf........
Old 07-22-2016, 08:10 AM   #27
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: All... I have an aversion to suitcases. Why? My parents gave me one for Christmas when I was 20.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Were the one way tickets out of town in them?
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:19 AM   #28

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Duffles are fine for lounging against so that is what I use. If you are going to have something soft and bulky along make it do double duty
If you are going to carry anything in your trailer, try to make it at least dual use.

Quoth Forrest Gump, "That's all ahm gonta saay about thaat."
Old 07-22-2016, 10:03 AM   #29

Name: Kaddy
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Michigan
Registry
Fabric Cubes

I was looking for a neat, clean, and yet practical solution for clothes. We recently extended our flooring under the front bunk (added tremendous amount of storage. I found some really great and cheap fabric cubes from IKEA. They worked great on our camping trip because they looked neat and still were moldable to where we wanted to stick them. They slid on our new floor under the benches and under the table (at least 6 would fit under the table). I loved the clean easy to get to cubes. BTW, the one suitcase we brought was a pain because we had to pull it out far enough to open the lid. I bought 4 SKUBBARE baskets in the natural color for 7.99 each. I'm going to get 4 - 6 more. I put my clothes in one, shoes in another, towels and loose stuff in the others. Also, the height can be adapted by rolling the top down to the desired height. The best thing is that they can go anywhere while transporting and actually can cushion other, hard or brittle items while traveling. I am posting a few pictures of under bench storage. The pictures are before or during our renovation but you can see where we stored them. Here's the link: SKUBBARE Basket - natural/blue - IKEA
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1876.jpg   IMG_2145.jpg  

IMG_1509.jpg   IMG_1935.jpg  

IMG_1532.jpg   IMG_1942.jpg  

Attached Files
openthegates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:13 PM   #30

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Closet Storage Solutions

So here are the latest photos showing closet storage in our 13' Scamp. My DH custom made the wood shelves. The bottom shelf has a finger hole to raise it revealing the bottom storage area where we put a net bag for laundry (we keep the drawstring peeking out so it doesn't fall through and disappear). It took some tricky and creative woodworking to make the shelves.

I attached "shoe pockets to the inside and outside of the closet door creating lots of space for many small items. I lucked out by finding a pocket unit that fit the space perfectly. I added a little binding and elastic and I had the perfect door-hung storage solution. BTW my DH made a cut out on the front of each shelf to accommodate the pockets.
Attached Thumbnails
Lodi, Scamp, Mom's, Packing 048.jpg   Lodi, Scamp, Mom's, Packing 049.jpg  

Lodi, Scamp, Mom's, Packing 050.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:47 PM   #31

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
UPDATE: Thanks for all the replies and interesting approaches to clothes storage.

My handy wife sewed a thin screen cloth onto a roller at the top of the hanging 'shelf' bag in the closet. When traveling, we can roll it down and fasten it to the sides of the bag with office binder clips.

She also found a ancient shoe-storage hanger with pockets in the attic (probably belonged to her mother), which she cut to fit and I mounted on the inside of the closet door.

Another set is next to the bed. The labels are just clipped on, so can be removed if we don't need them.

The idea is that we'll use the shelves in the hanging bag for clothes, and the hanging 'shoe' pockets for small stuff.

I convinced her that we could do without suitcases. I'll still need my backpack for computer and accessories, but that can live in the TV if necessary.

/Mr Lynn
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0961_sm.jpg   IMG_0962_sm.jpg  

IMG_0964_sm.jpg  

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote