Do You Use The Shower? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-22-2015, 06:21 PM   #21

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I don't follow this, Fred. Plenty of great moulded FG trailers with baths. Why a stick built?
Can't find a FGRV with a shower that I can afford, been looking!!
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:39 PM   #22

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Ya, I tried that, but after day 11 it was shower or sleep outside and I didn't look forward to 19 days on the ground. LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:50 PM   #23

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
After three days of tent camping in the mountains of Colorado, we drove 75 miles to the front range then rented a camp site at a KOA to take a shower. Shortly after this, we got the Scamp.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:52 PM   #24

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
OK, let's clarify. The question was, "Do you use the shower?" I have a Little Joe, not a Ponderosa, hence the answer. "Do you use the toilet.............?" We-e-e-e-ell
.............let's not go there.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:04 PM   #25

Name: Dennis
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
OK, let's clarify. The question was, "Do you use the shower?" I have a Little Joe, not a Ponderosa, hence the answer. "Do you use the toilet.............?" We-e-e-e-ell
.............let's not go there.
What I was trying to say in my post was showers are very important, and that availability is why I bought the trailer!!
Old 05-22-2015, 10:03 PM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
Wish I had a shower,, we are in Kootenays of BC Canada and all the really nice spots,,, provincial pks
their idea of facilities is an out house! they are the worst, but in the most beautiful places!
We end up in a private campground that has a shower but usually none of that "beauty".
We will probably end up selling our Boler and getting a sticky just to get our own shower.
Fred
Fred, with our 13' Scamp, I installed a water heater, and a kitchen faucet with a sprayer head. We used this to be able to wash our hair while doing a sponge bath, or we could pass the shower head out the window to use outdoors in a pop-up shower enclosure. Perhaps you could go that route instead of selling your Boler.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01187.jpg   DSC01192.jpg  

DSC01191.jpg  
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:51 PM   #27

Registry
No shower, no toilet, in my trailer. The idea that one must immerse oneself in water daily is a recent thing. Personnel hygiene can be accomplished in other ways. Our grandparents used the sponge bath method. I use a product called "Fresh Bath". It works quite nicely. When on the road for several days or months we can usually find a shower someplace every few days.

As for the toilet being needed, the campground facilities or backpacker style work just fine. That middle of the night thing, in a small trailer with a small bed and two people some things have to be kind of synchronized. If one needs to make the trip, both go. We've seen some beautiful night skys and a few night time animals. The walk in the fresh air is kind of refreshing too. We both keep a pair of sweat pants close by along with a zippered sweat shirt to be properly dressed for the night time excursion.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:34 AM   #28

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
TETO!

Owned our 2000 Scamp SB for six years. Never used the shower. Didn't put water in the water heater for the last two years. Only put water in the fresh water tank for the toilet. Hated waiting in line to dump the tanks. All that crap for tanks hanging underneath was wind resistance going down the road, added needless weight, cost us gas mileage, and lowered the ground clearance. Didn't want the higher step of a high lift axle.

Found a 17' Casita Spirit Standard with no bath, water heater, furnace, or AC. Will be removing the fresh water tank, pump, and faucet this June. Without these items we have much more storage and get at least 1 if not 2 miles more per gallon. You can tell our Odyssey pulls the Casita easier with less obstructions to interrupt the airflow.

The Dometic furnace in our Scamp popped and banged when it started and the fan was noisy. Others here have said the same thing and it's identical to the one Casita uses. In the cold seasons we carry an electric oil heater when in an electric site or a Little Buddy Heater when we know there will be no electric. We also have a sleeping bag that's easily good for 25 degrees. Just warm the camper up in the morning with the Little Buddy.

We each have no pride and can use the porta-potty in front of each other. Plus, I just take the cassette to the campground toilet to quickly empty, with less mess than dealing with the stinky slinky. Less is more for us.

Our friends have campers with all the amenities that they love as much as we love ours.

Again, To Each Their Own!

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:04 AM   #29

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Having a fully self-contained trailer gives you options. From places you can camp and the seasons you can camp as well. Just because you have a shower/toilet of some sort doesn't mean you have to use it. Just means you can if you want/need to. You can't use something if you don't have it. AND you can never miss something you've never had.

I like options. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:49 AM   #30

Trailer: Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft
We use our shower every time we go out on a trip
mconnorsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:56 AM   #31

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Gotcha. Do remember though that FG trailers are a bit pricier, but value wise, win out due to longevity.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:59 AM   #32

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Fred, do you belong to Facebook, the two boler groups? Seems like I've seen several 17' bolers for sale over there the past couple of months. I'm going to assume, they have showers...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:18 AM   #33

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I installed water heaters and outside shower panels in all three 13'ers we have owned. We used a pop-up shower tent, and a play-pool to capture water, when necessary. Works great when you want to shower and none are otherwise available.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:09 AM   #34

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot 2002
Illinois
We have a Bigfoot 21' and rarely use the shower for showering. i regged a removable shower bar and installed several plastic hooks on the walls. showering is still possible but we use the shower a lot for hanging wet towels and swim suits when an outside clothes line is not possible. we use the extra hooks for pajamas and odd pieces of clothing. the toilet is used nightly by both my wife an I, since we're both 70+.
Bottom line when we do shower like when no facilities are available or when boondocking it's great to have and it's a wet closet when needed. great for clothing when coming out of the rain after a hike.
whip2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:19 AM   #35

Name: Tim
Trailer: Scamp 16' Deluxe side bath
Minnesota
We have a 16' Deluxe and use the shower everyday. It works just fine.
It's used even when public facilities are available. I'm the water boy and keep the tank filled as it uses a lot of stuff. Don't forget to empty the gray.
swenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:46 AM   #36
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
We use our shower about every other day when camping. In fact we are nearing the end of a two week trip...even in the nice Arizona, Utah campgrounds we prefer the convenience and cleanliness of our own.
With the shut off switch on the sprayer head you can use surprisingly little water.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:56 AM   #37

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I enjoy analyzing data, so I took a look at all the responses to the original question. I detected six different categories. Some people related experiences with more than one trailer, so I tallied each "ownership experience" as a separate response.
  • I have an on-board shower and use it regularly: 10
  • I have an on-board shower and use it occasionally: 6
  • I have an on-board shower and never use it/removed it: 1
  • I don't have an on-board shower and rigged an alternative: 4
  • I don't have an on-board shower and wish I did/plan to trade: 1
  • I don't have an on-board shower and don't want one: 3
I included myself in the last category, though I could see that changing when it's just my wife and I.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:26 AM   #38

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Add us to the, we have a shower and use it regularly. This is why we bought our Oliver. My wife and I are very active while out camping and often, most often nowhere near anything other than primitive facilities. A shower was a must for us.
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:08 PM   #39

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
each and every night...

even if showers are available I use my own shower (hooked up to services I can make that shower longer than usual even)

after twenty odd years of cuising in small sailboats (showers on deck with sunshower)....a hot shower whenever/wherever I want, in my own space, feels like a real luxury and I love indulging in it.

My BF has a "wet bath"... Some people take a dim view of wet baths. I'm guessing those people have probably never used one. Super easy to keep clean, space is a bit at a premium, maybe, but you quickly adapt to a routine that works just fine. Last thing I do is spray all the walls/surfaces down, close the door and leave the fan on...after a while the whole thing is dry...and clean.
Attached Thumbnails
bath2.jpg   bath3.jpg  

bath9d.jpg   bath7.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #40

Name: Gail
Trailer: 1975 Trillium & 2013 Escape 17B
North Carolina
Registry
David B and Jennykatz, just wondering what kind of hassle---if at all---it is emptying the cassette toilet? Are there benefits over the flushable kind with actual plumbing? Asking these LilSnoozy owners, because we have considered buying one.
Gail H is offline   Reply With Quote