Do You Use The Shower? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-24-2015, 10:21 AM   #61

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Haha. Good one Glenn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
The right to bare arms, right?

Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #62

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Is there a problem? I missed it, if there is.

What we have here is a collection of different folks with different requirements for their own personal styles. No one style is wrong, and as long as folks are getting out camping, AND finding enjoyment with it, that is all that really matters.

For me, the trailer is just a piece of equipment to be used as best fits our needs and desires. These needs an desires are to use it as little as possible, in that it means we are using our 'living room', being the great outdoors, more.

As mentioned before, most folks shower WAY too much anyway. Some just so they can fix their hair. As someone mentioned above, baths were a weekly thing, and this was in farming families that worked hard. They survived great, so could we. Not saying we should go to those extremes at all, just that we could go way longer. I have been on 2 week backcountry trips, with no shower facilities within days of travel, and survived just fine.

BUT....... To each, their own. None of us is wrong.
So... how do you reconcile paragraph three with paragraph one?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:20 PM   #63

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
We use our shower when the CG facilities don't look clean or are not convenient. We have the THETFORD cassette toilet and love the convenience. The main reason we bought the Snoozy is the bath and toilet.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:33 PM   #64

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I have a shower and have never used it. You could say I sort of disabled it since I removed the hot water heater, but a cold water rinse off would still be possible. The gray tank would fill up too fast if I used it which means I'd have to move the trailer to dump the tanks. So I would need hookups to really use my shower. But if I have hookups, then there is likely a campground shower.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:23 PM   #65

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
I won't speak to the subject of how often one does or should shower.

The shower facilities at a few of the places we've camped are simply gross. If they've got a nice shower house, we use that. If not, having a hot shower in our trailer is super. We used ours only about 3 times during our 5 1/2 week trip last month, but we are very glad we have it. As others have said, it's all about options. We like having the choice.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:09 PM   #66

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I pack a Coleman, portable, outdoor, on demand water heater and a Broadstone shower tent for when the facilities are too gross. I have yet to use it for a shower, but the heater is good for hot chocolate.
Coleman - Hot Water On Demandâ„¢ Portable Water Heater
Attached Thumbnails
Shower Tent 01.jpg   Shower Tent 02.jpg  

David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:31 PM   #67

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
My wife: We need a camper with a bathroom and shower.
Everyone else we asked: You need a camper with a bathroom and shower.
Me: I don't want one, I don't need one. I may use the bathroom in the middle of the night but I won't ever be using that shower.

Flash forward 1 year: They were right. I use both and am glad we have them.

Seems those advocating against the bathroom and shower idea are men - This is understandable, we're slobs who can pee standing up
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:56 PM   #68

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I don't think hardly anyone is advocating against having a shower, For a few in their small trailers the space it would take up is preferred other uses, is all. The OP asked who used them, not whether you think you should have a shower, or not. The fact we rarely use ours is just a factor in how we camp, and who knows, this may change in the future.

If the question was "Do you think having a shower is worthwhile", I would have to say, most definitely. Like others, it is great to have that option. I hear from others of campground shower facilities that are no clean. Fortunately, I have never seen on myself yet.

We have to remember that we all have differing needs and desires, as well as tolerance levels. Yet, we all seek to have fun.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:02 PM   #69

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy P. View Post
Flash forward 1 year: They were right. I use both and am glad we have them.
That was my thinking before I got the trailer. Both are must have. Camper is not a tent.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:33 PM   #70

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I don't think hardly anyone is advocating against having a shower.

What? of course they are. Didn't you see all the posts regarding how we shower too much and I can make due with a sponge bath or use the facility showers?

For a few in their small trailers the space it would take up is preferred other uses, is all.

I understand completely and if I had a 13' trailer I would do the same.

The OP asked who used them, not whether you think you should have a shower, or not.

That was my point. I didn't think I would ever use one. We got it and I did. People are free to make their own decision but this has been my experience.

We have to remember that we all have differing needs and desires, as well as tolerance levels. Yet, we all seek to have fun.
Good point. Some would never use it for a variety of reasons, some would prefer the storage. There's no right answer here, it's an individual choice.

Just this weekend I went to use the camping facility shower, we had family stopping by that I hadn't seen in decades, it was cool and raining and guess what, the hot water was out. Only bone chilling water to be had. I went back and used the shower in the camper. Although I didn't want the shower initially I was sure glad I had it. The point being whether you think you need a shower or not, situations may arise where it is very much appreciated.

Lastly, and I'm even hesitant to bring this up, If and when you go to sell your trailer the majority of potential buyers will expect a bathroom and will desire a shower.
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:11 PM   #71

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy P. View Post
What? of course they are. Didn't you see all the posts regarding how we shower too much and I can make due with a sponge bath or use the facility showers?
As one of these people whose opinion/belief/thinking is that as a society in general we shower too much, AND as one who prefers a larger shower often provided by campgrounds and does not mind conserving water by sponge bathing, I can definitely say that I do not in any way advocate against having a shower in the trailer, and also stated I would not have one without it. I love having the option, should I ever need to exercise it.

Everyone is free to do as they wish, and I hold nothing against their desires, just so long as they treat me reciprocally.

I think you might be reading this thread as you are either for, or against, having a shower in ones trailer, and that is not at all what I get as a general consensus from the posts here.

Lookit me, being a bad moderator by going on, and on, about the same thing. Any more of this, and I will have to discipline myself.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-26-2015, 05:30 PM   #72

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Well this has certainly been an interesting conversation. And for me the net effect was to change my mind on ordering a Scamp with a toilet but without a shower. Today I changed that order and added the shower and water heater.

I still expect I will almost never use the shower, and if I do, it will most likely be on a hot summer day when I will not even need to use hot water. However, a few other factors swayed me, in addition to the benefit of having a shower if I choose to use it.

1. Resale value. I was also told it would be harder to sell if there was no shower.
2. Wet room… a nice place to throw a wet swimsuit, or towel.
3. When ordering new from Scamp, the cost savings of deleting the shower is minimal.

While I might be one of the people who shower too often, I have been around enough people who shower too rarely and therefore I know I would rather be around people who err on the side of over cleanliness, rather than the other way around. Of course, if you are in the woods, alone or with others of like mind, it really does not matter if you take a shower every day or every third week. I’ll still share a beer with you even if you stink like a caveman, but it will be at a distance ; )
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:58 PM   #73

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Mmmmm beer.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:03 PM   #74

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Well, I have learned that it looks like the shower is usable enough which is what I was wondering. Having watched the classified here and there for some time, I do see the trailers without the bath/shower sitting a longer time but I have also seen some great mods, one just recently that was awesome so if one was creative and could get a good buy on a used one without bath/shower, it might be worth it.

Our situation is unique because my son with DS needs assistance and doesn't realize what to touch and not in a public bathroom/shower and can't control the water temperature................. We do have a tent shower with solar water bags that we have not used but I do wonder about the wind as we get wicked gusts.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:14 PM   #75

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
I use mine for the biffy and the shower in a need to basis. The bigger shower would have been nice in the 19' but the bunk offers luggage storage.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:58 PM   #76

Name: Steve in NY
Trailer: Scamp
New York
I bought a 16 foot scamp. At 6 foot, there was no way I could stand in the shower and sitting seemed awkward at best. I also no that the increased humidity is not for us. My wife is the good (for me anyway) low maintenance type who insisted having a front couch and more storage trumped the shower/head. I installed an outside shower for rinsing after a shampoo in the sink and a sponge bath when ther is no cg shower. For us, there just seemed to be a big daily sacrifice for something most of the places we go to already have. Obviously, we are right....ha!

to each his own!
Steve in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:40 PM   #77

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in NY View Post
Obviously, we are right....ha!
This can't be. I have been told many, many times by my wife, that she is always right.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:43 PM   #78

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I am a long time back packer and kayaker so know all about how to get by for days without a shower ;-) but I purchased a trailer for the extra comforts its offers which included a warm shower.

I use mine even though I can't stand up in it, beats a sponge bath. I don't use it on every trip but I will use it when dry camping (if I have enough water onboard) or at a quick road side rest stop with no facilities or when at a campground that the shower cleanliness is questionable.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:48 PM   #79

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
I bought a 16 foot scamp. At 6 foot, there was no way I could stand in the shower and sitting seemed awkward at best. ..... I installed an outside shower for rinsing after a shampoo in the sink and a sponge bath when ther is no cg shower.
Many elderly or physically challenged people HAVE to sit to take a shower.. heck, if they can do it every day of their lives I guess I can manage it while camping.
Also I have found that a number of camp sites prohibit outside showers, although that rule might not be enforced regularly. Do you wear a bathing suit while showering outside?

There is something to be said about added storage space. Come to think about it, there is also something to be said for packing less stuff
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:18 PM   #80

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I bought a 16 foot scamp. At 6 foot, there was no way I could stand in the shower and sitting seemed awkward at best. I also no that the increased humidity is not for us. My wife is the good (for me anyway) low maintenance type who insisted having a front couch and more storage trumped the shower/head. I installed an outside shower for rinsing after a shampoo in the sink and a sponge bath when ther is no cg shower. For us, there just seemed to be a big daily sacrifice for something most of the places we go to already have. Obviously, we are right....ha!

to each his own!
You must have a side bath? I too am 6 ft, and I stand to shower in my pre-fire Scamp13. I have never experienced increased humidity even in my smaller Scamp. Most of the places we go to already have motels, public restrooms and restaurants, but we chose to have a complete travel trailer instead of a camper.
It would just seem to be a big sacrifice to tow something all over the country, only to find it to be incomplete after a long day of driving or sightseeing.

When traveling...I often like to dine-in, I certainly like to sleep in my own bed, and I like having my own bathroom/shower. After a few years of having our own complete facility, even nice motels start to seem a little creepy.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote