Do You Use The Shower? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2015, 09:20 AM   #81

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Truck stops have public showers. Because they cost, they are usually cleaned. No guarantee though.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:15 AM   #82

Name: Steve in NY
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
It would just seem to be a big sacrifice to tow something all over the country, only to find it to be incomplete after a long day of driving or sightseeing.
If we were all alike, the world would be boring. What I have gets me and my wife clean when necessary. I am one of those crazy people who likes the social aspect of the walk to the shower, shaving in the sink, etc. I've met a lot of nice people that way. We generally try to stay where the tenters stay, as I identify with them more than big RV guy, so our sites never have electric. We mostly camp in NYS parks, and the facilities are usually pretty well cared after.

A dunk in a fresh water lake suffices many times for a shower, and when it doesn't there is the outside shower. I do wear a bathing suit most of the time.I think some of this differing of opinion comes from previous experience. I've backpacked all over the place where no soap is allowed and I haven't washed for two weeks. Because of that, I've seen wild moose up close, watched baby loons riding there mothers back 15 feet away, saw a Bobcat in a branch that was so lazy from having just eaten I got real close and she acted like a housecat.

Anyway, believe it o not, there are a lot of pop-ups out there with no facilities and people get along just fine, even traveling the country. I may someday get to the point where the porta-potti and outside shower don't cut it for me anymore. I still backpack, often leaving the camper for a few days, but I don't sleep nearly as well.

It's all good.
Steve in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:32 PM   #83

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in NY View Post
If we were all alike, the world would be boring. What I have gets me and my wife clean when necessary. I am one of those crazy people who likes the social aspect of the walk to the shower, shaving in the sink, etc. I've met a lot of nice people that way. We generally try to stay where the tenters stay, as I identify with them more than big RV guy, so our sites never have electric. We mostly camp in NYS parks, and the facilities are usually pretty well cared after.

A dunk in a fresh water lake suffices many times for a shower, and when it doesn't there is the outside shower. I do wear a bathing suit most of the time.I think some of this differing of opinion comes from previous experience. I've backpacked all over the place where no soap is allowed and I haven't washed for two weeks. Because of that, I've seen wild moose up close, watched baby loons riding there mothers back 15 feet away, saw a Bobcat in a branch that was so lazy from having just eaten I got real close and she acted like a housecat.

Anyway, believe it o not, there are a lot of pop-ups out there with no facilities and people get along just fine, even traveling the country. I may someday get to the point where the porta-potti and outside shower don't cut it for me anymore. I still backpack, often leaving the camper for a few days, but I don't sleep nearly as well.

It's all good.
It sounds like you think that the bathroom blocks the exit!
On my Scamp I can still go outside and take a walk, a bike ride, or just sit by the lake and watch the wildlife. As you say, not much of that stuff actually happens between the trailer and the shower house anyway.
Well... maybe a skunk, raccoon, or a hungry bear digging in the dumpster looking for a snack.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:55 AM   #84

New York
Floyd, I know it doesn't. But in the 16 foot side bathroom model, it takes a lot of room. The front couch/bed gets cut off and shortened significantly. I am an early riser, while my wife sleeps in. Having a spot for me at the other end of the trailer to spread out and read the paper and eat breakfast while she's sleeping, or to have a few people sit down when its a couch is sweet. I guess what I'm trying to say is I've seen many people horrified at the idea of not having a bathroom/shower, but there is another side to the story.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:55 AM   #85

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Casita
California
I don't shower everyday but I definitely use the shower. I'm not a fan of public showers-- even clean ones. Also, before buying my trailer I realized that there are many campgrounds that don't consider your rig self contained if it doesn't have its own bathroom. Many do not consider porta-potties or casette toilets to count as "self contained rigs". Not sure how strictly they enforce that at these parks, but I did find it to be interesting.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:11 AM   #86

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloMatt View Post
I don't shower everyday but I definitely use the shower. I'm not a fan of public showers-- even clean ones. Also, before buying my trailer I realized that there are many campgrounds that don't consider your rig self contained if it doesn't have its own bathroom. Many do not consider porta-potties or casette toilets to count as "self contained rigs". Not sure how strictly they enforce that at these parks, but I did find it to be interesting.
Have you come across campgrounds that require a trailer to be fully self contained? I haven't heard of this, the idea seems strange. Obviously tenters would not be allowed.

BTW, just had a glorious shower at the Nk'Mip Campground in Osoyoos, while attending the Escape Rally here. Did cost me a loonie, but I am good with that.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:45 AM   #87

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I suspect that most requiring full self-containment are more in the RV-park category. Some have age and size restrictions as well.

I am aware that some popular beach spots in CA lack facilities and require self-containment, but I have heard that a porta-potty and an external, enclosed grey tank is considered sufficient. No doubt there are other places like that.

Certainly the more days you spend on the road and the more flexibility you need in where you can spend the night, the more important full self-containment becomes.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:22 AM   #88

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Yep, as Jon mentioned, there are a few California State Parks, primarily beach sites, that madate being self contained, BUT they do accept porta pottys and an external gray water tank as long as the latter has a closed drain circuit, meaning a hose to a fitting, not an open bucket.

This is usually because these sites may not have any bathroom facilities or they are a considerable distance from the RV area. While tenters are not allowed on these sites, the are including a number of tent only (meaning NO rv's) sites at many of the beach parks as well.

Soooo... If someone wants to whine about not being allowed to put a 13'er in an unoccupied tent only site, remember the tenters that are excluded from the self-contained RV only sites....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:33 AM   #89

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Floyd, I know it doesn't. But in the 16 foot side bathroom model, it takes a lot of room. The front couch/bed gets cut off and shortened significantly.
Actually the front couch/bed is the exact same length in a 16' Scamp side bath as it is in a Scamp without a bathroom. Its not been cut off or shorten to accommodate the bathroom, at least not in mine or others I have seen.

I assuming you are referring to the end section of the front couch/bed that has the bathroom front wall up against it, so that someone sitting in that area could not put their feet on the ground. Thats the area that the kids/teens that sometimes travel with me love to sit in with their feet on the couch and read late into the night as their reading light doesnt bother those sleeping at the front of the trailer. LOL

Even if that bathroom wall was not there I honestly don't think 4 adult guests would be overly comfortable sitting together on that front couch/bed. Would be just a little to cozy for me.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:32 AM   #90

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
It looked like there is a little more room in the front bath versus the side bath. I was thinking that extra space in the bath would be nice but then again, how much time would we spend in their and wouldn't it be better to have the space available in the main body of the trailer? I over think everything. I could go with either. I do like that Scamp offers that choice versus Casita. Plus, the side bath gives you the two separate areas more so than the front bath. I know in 13', you aren't really that separate.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:34 AM   #91

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Have you come across campgrounds that require a trailer to be fully self contained? I haven't heard of this, the idea seems strange. Obviously tenters would not be allowed.
I have several times - including once at at Forest Service site! Mostly though its at large private RV type resorts - a couple of them I know of for sure on the Oregon Coast, one on the beach on Vancouver Island and another in Montana. Only aware of it when traveling with friends who do like to stay in developed campgrounds and one of them doesn't have an attached grey water tank and only a cassette toilet - so we have been turned away.

Your right no tents allowed either at most of that type of RV resort. Often they will have a sign that says NO Canvas permitted. Was surprised when I saw them turn away a fairly large newish trailer that was obviously self contained but it had a front that drops down to make a large bed with canvas & netting on its sides.

The forest service site was a bit of a surprise. The rangers came around and checked the trailers & campers. If I am not mistaken they even put a sticker over the grey water & black water valves. They said due to the high volume of inappropriate dirty grey water & black tank dumping taking place it was attracting to many dangrous wildlife (grizzles & wolfs) into the area. Not an ideal place for a tenter to set up. Tenters were encouraged to hike away from the area and set up in areas not accessible by trucks/trailers - which were probable much nicer sites to camp anyways.

At another forest service campsite, no outside grey water buckets or totes where permitted to be left unattended outside the trailer at anytime. You could use them but you had to put them inside your trailer or truck when not being used. There were a lot of black bears in the area so putting them in your truck and not being in it to scare the bear off if it tried to get in is not a wise idea if you want to use your vehicle to tow your trailer home. Black bears are well know around here at getting into vehicles to get at the smallest of crumbs.

Last week in a very developed subdivision near me a black bear got himself into a truck to get at a small food item left on the passenger seat (heard it was a bag with only a couple of Tim bits & empty cup from Timmy's in it) but then it could not get out - totally destroyed the inside of the truck. Good news was it was a company truck! Just waiting to hear if the truck which was 2 years old is going to be written off!
Old 05-29-2015, 10:39 AM   #92

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
It looked like there is a little more room in the front bath versus the side bath. .
Actually less room for visitors as there is no couch/bed in the front bath layout.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:48 AM   #93

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Actually less room for visitors as there is no couch/bed in the front bath layout.
I believe she meant the front bath layout has more room in the bath, which is true, as well as more height for showering. More room in the bath = less room elsewhere.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:01 AM   #94

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
...I do like that Scamp offers that choice versus Casita. Plus, the side bath gives you the two separate areas more so than the front bath...
On the other hand, Casita offers the Liberty layout when the priority is bed space, and the option of side bunks in the Spirit, so you can have beds for 4 and the larger front bath, if that's what you want.

I'm not promoting Casita over Scamp, just pointing out that each offers some choices the other doesn't. Scamp offers a full wood interior; Casita doesn't. And so on.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:41 AM   #95

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I believe she meant the front bath layout has more room in the bath, which is true, as well as more height for showering. More room in the bath = less room elsewhere.
Thanks that makes more sense!
Old 05-29-2015, 12:33 PM   #96

New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Even if that bathroom wall was not there I honestly don't think 4 adult guests would be overly comfortable sitting together on that front couch/bed. Would be just a little to cozy for me.
Three fit easily, and I built a nice storage bench where the old bathroom was and padded the top for a fourth. I also trimmed the old shower floor so the front seems like a dance floor instead of a passageway to the back. I know you bathroom people are horrified, but if I ordered a new scamp it would be layout 3.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #97

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Three fit easily, and I built a nice storage bench where the old bathroom was and padded the top for a fourth. I also trimmed the old shower floor so the front seems like a dance floor instead of a passageway to the back...
From my ideas folder…

Name:   Bench mod.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  9.5 KB
It does have a wide-open feeling.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:43 PM   #98

New York
That's pretty close, except I made a flip up top and the front face goes to the floor, making the front of the cabinnet very deep. I also made a bulkhead that goes along the front of the cupboard. It gave me a nice place to mount stuff and for a coat hook and a broom clip. I need to post pictures. Does anyone know if that front cupboard overhead give the top bunk sleeper claustrophobia?
Old 05-29-2015, 05:30 PM   #99

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Casita
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I guess others pretty much answered but, yeah, I've been to many parks that do not allow tents and require self-contained RV's. California BLM requires self-contained vehicles in 2 of its LTVA areas:

Quote:
17. Self-Contained Vehicles

a. In the Midland LTVA, you may camp only in self-contained camping units. The Mule Mountain LTVAs are restricted to self-contained camping units, except within 500 feet of a vault or rest room.
b. Self-contained camping units must have a permanent, affixed waste water holding tank of 10-gallon minimum capacity. BLM does not consider port-a-potty systems, systems that utilize portable holding tanks, or permanent holding tanks of less than 10-gallon capacity, to be self-contained.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:38 PM   #100

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Thanks for answering my queries everyone. I guess because my preference is the more rustic tile campgrounds, I have avoided those requiring being self contained. It does make sense in some cases.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote