Do You Use The Shower? - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-30-2015, 06:08 AM   #101

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Jim: Having these rules in place can give a park owner/manager a little more control in who is allowed in the park, the self-contained and the 10 year rule both since some "RVs" aren't and they can be very rough and you have people that may want to stay in their cars using the surrounding area as their toilet and I don't want to step in it or see the "action". It gives them the ability to legally "discriminate".

You can get into issues with fire safety as I have seen units just rigged together - old rusted flat bed truck with a old rusted truck camper lashed to the back, etc. I am against "discrimination" but not when it comes to the health and well-being of others. It can get really bad. People can have some really filthy habits. Woodsy campgrounds and out in the boonies is not what I am talking about where you don't get rid of gallons of gray water or dump a black tank.

We stayed in 3 different states, long term in RV parks, 2 years at a time so got to know the management and the areas. It was an major eye opener.

In Tucson, they were boondocking in the Wal-Mart parking lot until it was stopped. They were leaving their trash and worse yet, dumping gray and black tanks on the pavement.

I never meant for the thread to be one of judgement about taking showers, just wondering if the shower was usable enough since I read so many comments saying people didn't use them. There needs to be a usable shower and "quick" one suits me more than fine.

The comments have been great though and hopefully will help others make the decision as to whether they may or may not want/need a shower. It really is an individual thing.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:24 AM   #102

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
I never meant for the thread to be one of judgement about taking showers, just wondering if the shower was usable enough since I read so many comments saying people didn't use them. There needs to be a usable shower and "quick" one suits me more than fine.

The comments have been great though and hopefully will help others make the decision as to whether they may or may not want/need a shower. It really is an individual thing.
Cathy, I don't think any judgements were really made. On my part I just expressed an opinion, one based on my upbringing and life, just as on the flip side others stated one that differed. I am good with that, myself.

I also definitely learned a few things myself. Once I retire and travel in my trailer for extended periods of time, I will likely be in, and see, situations others have described, as until now my style of camping has for the most part been a much more simple one than how the masses do it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:45 AM   #103

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Personally, I support campgrounds having rules that can be used to keep out the bad actors. As I've found, many do not enforce them until a situation arises that they are needed. The often lamented "10 year old" rule comes to mind. Almost never used against people with well kept or restored units, but there to turn away the rolling junk piles if needed.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:53 AM   #104

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
Personally, I support campgrounds having rules that can be used to keep out the bad actors...
Easy to say as the owner of a brand-spankin' new Oliver!

Okay… maybe the green face is a little trailer-envy!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:58 AM   #105

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Easy to say as the owner of a brand-spankin' new Oliver!

Okay… maybe the green face is a little trailer-envy!
LOL. No. Yesterday, there was a cute little 13' Scamp two rows over from me. They were only there for the night I guess, as they were gone this AM. They were covered in travel stickers on the back and it looked to be 20+ years old. No AC and pulled by a white RAV 4. Wonder if it was one of us? Had a woman's name in pink stickers on the side, but I didn't catch the name. Delaware plates it think? I should have said hello, but I figured I get a chance over the weekend.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #106

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
Personally, I support campgrounds having rules that can be used to keep out the bad actors. As I've found, many do not enforce them until a situation arises that they are needed. The often lamented "10 year old" rule comes to mind. Almost never used against people with well kept or restored units, but there to turn away the rolling junk piles if needed.
If you want to eliminate "bad actors" then punish the bad actions and don't make arbitrary and irrelevant rules. I don't show the registration for my vehicle or my Scamp to anyone without a badge.

I went to a State park in Florida where two brand new toy haulers towed with brand new 45 thousand dollar trucks came in, parked across the road from each other and proceeded to unload completely undisciplined dogs and children. They then met in the middle of the road to block traffic and get drunk, making sure the music was loud enough to reach them. They finally settled down around one AM, that is except for the dogs!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:40 AM   #107

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Thanks for answering my queries everyone. I guess because my preference is the more rustic tile campgrounds, I have avoided those requiring being self contained. It does make sense in some cases.

To be honest the more rustic locations are also my preferred chose of camping as well, but when traveling with family and friends I just go along with the majority rules thing! For whatever reasons the parties I travel with feel we need to camp at a spot I may not have personally been my first choose.

Doesn't kill me to see how the other half live for a few days every once in awhile, although I do admit the places with the most rules do tend to take a bigger bite out of my wallet than what I am accustom to.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:13 AM   #108

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
No problem with your bad actors in CA state, county or regional parks if one knows what to do.
If the camp "Hosts" can't or won't control public intoxication, the county sheriff or the CHP will respond. I have done that at least three times. As long as their fellow campers allow/enable that kind of behavior, it will continue.

In CA state parks, apparently they keep a "No Camping" list of frequent violators. My son has a friend that has been banned from state parks for 3 years due to alcohol related misbehavior.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:56 PM   #109

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
No problem with your bad actors in CA state, county or regional parks if one knows what to do.
If the camp "Hosts" can't or won't control public intoxication, the county sheriff or the CHP will respond. I have done that at least three times. As long as their fellow campers allow/enable that kind of behavior, it will continue.

In CA state parks, apparently they keep a "No Camping" list of frequent violators. My son has a friend that has been banned from state parks for 3 years due to alcohol related misbehavior.
I think it is a shame that it takes law enforcement to teach some people simple manners and courtesy . A task that should have been accomplished by their parents .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:33 PM   #110

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I think it is a shame that it takes law enforcement to teach some people simple manners and courtesy . A task that should have been accomplished by their parents .
Yep, and then they are raising the next generation in their likeness.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:37 PM   #111

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
True. It's a shame that our society in general is losing decency, courtesy and manners. That's part of the reason we camp. Most campers are still good people.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:54 PM   #112

Name: Cherry
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
I see you have a Lil Snoozy. This trailer intrigues me and seems to have the features we are interested in. Did you buy new? If so, what was your experience? I'm reluctant to plunk down 20 grand if I'm not sure what outcome will be.
Thanks!
CherryHartung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:02 PM   #113

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Just because you can, doesn't mean you will!

However, you need the ability to USE and then decided if you WANT to...

No shower leaves zero decisions. Having a shower gives you options. You decide.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:25 PM   #114

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:46 AM   #115

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
Lil Snoozy

We have the twin bed Snoozy we use the cassette toilet and shower 35 gallon water and 4.5 gallon cassette toilet container ( you can buy an extra cassette container ) The downside of an all electric trailer is less boondocking .If ordering new I would get the 12 volt truck fridge and put on solar . Some of the owners have put in propane heaters ,water heaters ,and burners . so boondocking would be no problem . Good Luck in your decision Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:00 AM   #116

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
The Eggcamper and Li'l Snoozy are electric only. That would limit me far too much, although otherwise I'm sure they are nice trailers.
I guess some boondocking would still be possible with a generator and/or solar, I'm not sure how practical that would be. The other thing is while on the road I like to do free and convenient overnights at places like CrackerBarrel, Walmart and Pilot. Would that still work? How about in cold, or even cool weather when you'd want a heater to take the chill off?

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:20 AM   #117

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
elec trailers

Walt ,you are right It does cut down on boondocking but we live in Florida and most parks have elec power . There are a few Snoozy owners that put in propane and they boondock a lot .I think anyone interested in a Snoozy should call the factory and ask them to pre plumb for propane . We have been in Snoozy in 40degree temps and had an elec heater but extra blankets would work also .
The Snoozy does have an elec water heater ,a 110 volt Fridge ,microwave (option)and you can get the cassette toilet whick for a few days is much better then stinky slinky . Some of the smaller Eggs have way to small black tanks.

The good things are rear door entry , cassette toilet , full Queen bed , nice couch,Shower for a 6 ft person . What Snoozy needs
1-Solar option
2-propane option
3-More cabinets(storage)
4-12 volt Fridge

Just my 2cents Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:05 AM   #118

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Enjoyed the read through all the views and reasons to have or not to have facilities in one's rig.

Cari and I are a bit outside the egg in our thinking in that when having Parkliner build our #35 in 2013 we knew we would be camping without any power for ~5 to 7 days at a time.

The Parkliner has a (for us) wonderful shower/bathroom setup with plenty of elbow room. What we did not want was propane on board. Our shower is really simple... (and i'm sharing this for the folks like Cliff with the Little Joe and similar "Minimalist" set ups) :

Get one of these (or similar) from your local camp store:

Put one kettle full of room temp water, then one kettle full of hot water (however you would do so for coffee or tea). Slosh to mix and have a nice shower. We leave town with ~30 gallons of water and return most trips (6days) with ~10 or so left YMMV. We each take a shower ~every other day. Have yet to fill the 30 gallon gray tank on a trip and always enjoy the shower time.

We even use this setup in our van, so I know there's plenty of room in any rig in the fiberglass world to get creative with interior available floor space (got an action packer? extra cooler? and a shower curtain? don't need much more to go MacGyver/MacGirlver and get'er done : )

Here is a pic of the setup in our van...it all fits behind a cabinet that looks like this

And has a port potty and shower MacGirlver approved behind the doors:
(we were using a electric garden sprayer that season seen on the upper shelf):

As many have shared, half the fun of our rigs is putting your personal touch into the build and making it functional for your desires. For the girlz passing through if you think this setup is to to primitive for your liking... keep in mind that my wonderful girly-girl wife dreamed it up, and luvs the freedom and simplicity.

A PS: The facilities in the van began as a need for a simple private area to go potty (those small female bladders!) and also have a quick solution to getting at least some grime off feet coming out of a muddy stream/river Cari had been gold panning in (her hobby)...i'm there for comfort and keeping an eye out for critters with my bear spray handy reading under a shade tree : )

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote