Do You Use Your Microwave? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

View Poll Results: Do You Use Microwave (in FGRV)?
Yes 45 48.91%
No 17 18.48%
Don't have one, it's broken, infrequently, etc 30 32.61%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2014, 07:27 PM   #15

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
We get everything done with the two burner stove top, but are also not traveling with the trailer for more than 3 weeks at a time so far.

No coffee maker, either - with just one coffee drinker among us that gets done with boiling water and the single-serving cone filter thingie.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:40 PM   #16

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
We get everything done with the two burner stove top, but are also not traveling with the trailer for more than 3 weeks at a time so far.

No coffee maker, either - with just one coffee drinker among us that gets done with boiling water and the single-serving cone filter thingie.
Same for us...and may I add: WHEW!
Nice to find that there are still some folks out there besides me that camp when they're camping...

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:59 PM   #17

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
I don't use my the microwave real often,but I do use it heat left overs(from the last evening campfire meal) for a quick hot lunch....grand-kids use it for popcorn. On the other hand I have never used my oven....and have only used my stove once or twice. IF i removed any of them it would be the oven,because I just don't bake ( except in dutch oven) while out camping.My grand-kids are old enough to use the microwave to make their on snacks.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:14 AM   #18

Name: Marina
Trailer: 1978 Biggar / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
British Columbia
Registry
I took my stove/oven out of my trailer as I cook outside on the camp stove. In it's place I put a silverware drawer and a small microwave. I heat up leftovers, defrost the dogs food when I forget to take it out of the freezer and make breakfast burritos.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:10 AM   #19

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
We use ours almost every meal. It came with the camper and is one of the Sharp's that fits into the closet. Hubby makes meat outside; microwave makes veggies inside. We brew coffee in our pot that sits on the stove we never use (Hubby suggested taking it out, but you never know. We just have lucked out camping and not had rainy days on end yet.) We even bring our rapid tea pot to make tea from leaves.

Yes, I am a glamper.

CindyL
Old 05-22-2014, 06:37 AM   #20

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Space

We had a microwave in our motorhome and used it more like we used the one at home, to heat leftovers. When we downsized to small trailers, though they all came with a microwave, we removed the microwave. It uses space and is heavy and requires real power. We regressed to heating leftovers on our stove top which works just fine and for many foods heats leftovers even better than a microwave.

On the road for 7 months a year the microwave, for us, is not a justifiable use of space.

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:28 AM   #21

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia

This is the little microwave I'm planning to use. It's 600 watts, takes up less than a cubic foot of space, and can heat up a cup of soup or a slice of pizza. Not planning on using it much, but I'll have it for CG use. It'll fit in the microwave recess, along with my Keurig.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:38 AM   #22

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We had a microwave in our motorhome and used it more like we used the one at home, to heat leftovers. When we downsized to small trailers, though they all came with a microwave, we removed the microwave. It uses space and is heavy and requires real power. We regressed to heating leftovers on our stove top which works just fine and for many foods heats leftovers even better than a microwave.

On the road for 7 months a year the microwave, for us, is not a justifiable use of space.

Norm
Pretty much my take on it too.

One thing we have learned to do better, which is also healthier, is to make meals of a proper portion for the two of us, leaving no leftovers.

We can also whip up a meal in the time it takes to nuke something. Most foods seem to lose a lot in texture and taste when nuking anyway.

Marina, been there, done that, with not having thawed food for Jasper. A can of sardines, with an egg will tide him over well while his food sits in a bowl of warm water. He does not seem to mind it partially frozen either.

But hey, our camping styles all differ to suit our individual needs, no different than any of the other choices we make in life.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #23

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
I did a test on my microwave using a Trifield Meter set to the radio/microwave setting.

The 1st picture is from right in front of microwave when it is running. Microwave readings off the chart.

2nd picture is same microwave run, but reading at bed area. It seems the trailers are not big enough to get far enough from the microwave to avoid the generated field.

I did several other tests. On my house microwave, I had to get about 15' away before the field dropped to between 0 - 3.

I've decided to get rid of the microwave, but haven't decided to replace it with something else or use the space for storage.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #24

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
use it ...love it!
Attached Thumbnails
Pic014.JPG  
Old 05-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #25

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
From the FDA, Radiation Emitting Products:

Microwave Oven Safety Standard

A Federal standard limits the amount of microwaves that can leak from an oven throughout its lifetime to 5 milliwatts (mW) of microwave radiation per square centimeter at approximately 2 inches from the oven surface. This limit is far below the level known to harm people. Microwave energy also decreases dramatically as you move away from the source of radiation. A measurement made 20 inches from an oven would be approximately one one-hundredth of the value measured at 2 inches.

Checking Ovens For Leakage

There is little cause for concern about excess microwaves leaking from ovens unless the door hinges, latch, or seals are damaged. In FDA's experience, most ovens tested show little or no detectable microwave leakage. If there is some problem and you believe your oven might be leaking excessive microwaves, contact the oven manufacturer, a microwave oven service organization, your state health department, or the nearest FDA office.

A word of caution about the microwave testing devices being sold to consumers: FDA has tested a number of these devices and found them generally inaccurate and unreliable. If used, they should be relied on only for a very approximate reading. The sophisticated testing devices used by public health authorities to measure oven leakage are far more accurate and are periodically tested and calibrated.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #26

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I did a test on my microwave using a Trifield Meter set to the radio/microwave setting.

The 1st picture is from right in front of microwave when it is running. Microwave readings off the chart.

2nd picture is same microwave run, but reading at bed area. It seems the trailers are not big enough to get far enough from the microwave to avoid the generated field.

I did several other tests. On my house microwave, I had to get about 15' away before the field dropped to between 0 - 3.

I've decided to get rid of the microwave, but haven't decided to replace it with something else or use the space for storage.
So what level of intermittent microwave exposure is hazardous? Did you check the door gasket?
Would driving through a speed trap cause mutations... or just paranoia?
It does appear as though cellphones can cause vacuous mental enslavement... is it the microwaves? Of course, in low doses, cellphones only cause a subliminal sense of annoyance!
Old 05-22-2014, 11:31 AM   #27

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Microwaves are not nearly as dangerous as people are led to believe. They are way below the ionizing frequency required to cause any genetic damage. In fact they are on the wrong side of the visible spectrum for this.

They work by shaking any polarized molecules, (water mostly) to produce heat from friction. If your butt feels warm when you stand near a microwave, mover further away. Microwaves have been in kitchens for decades now. If they were dangerous, the lawyers would have been on it by now.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #28

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
We use ours every morning for oatmeal and a side of egg whites.
Ken

Tags
microwave