Do You Use Your Microwave? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

View Poll Results: Do You Use Microwave (in FGRV)?
Yes 45 48.91%
No 17 18.48%
Don't have one, it's broken, infrequently, etc 30 32.61%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2014, 01:01 PM   #29

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Jim,
We definitely eat a lot less and do cook in smaller portions as well but invariably there's a little left over that becomes tomorrow's lunch. We are particularly fond of soup and usually make enough for two meals.

Right now, since we're celebrating our 50th, we've been eating out more on this trip, enjoying Newfoundland's delights.

To me microwaves are a personal choice, no right or wrong. Fortunately they're not too expensive and the decision is reversible.

As to microwave cooking of eggs, we let our eggs swim in bacon fat before eating.....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #30

Name: Betty
Trailer: 2009 Liberty Deluxe Casita
Arkansas
but is it healthy?

Many prefer the convenience of one. I'd much prefer the storage.
Microwaving is said to change the nature of the proteins, making them indigestible. Blood tests showed that after eating nuked food, the level of white blood cells rose, as if fighting an infection.
On line there were pics of identical plants watered one with tap water, and another with nuked water. After the a while, the difference in the plants became very apparent. The nuke plant did not look too well.
I do not own a microwave. Got rid of it years ago. Except, there is one in the last Casita I just bought. Thankfully it is not permanently mounted.
Betty L.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #31

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Betty, Snopes.com call this rumor FALSE:
snopes.com: Microwaved Water - See What It Does to Plants

That being said, I have noticed that water heated in a microwave tends to froth more when I put instant coffee in it, as compared to water boiled in a kettle. I have yet to figure that out. Could be super heated water from the microwave, and the coffee caused the required disturbance to let the water boil. It's a guess.

I googled it. Looks like I was correct:
Boiling water in a microwave (or, Danger: Coffee Explosion) - General Topics - Chowhound
Old 05-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #32

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
That meter is reading the electromagnetic energy coming from the power supply. They use 800 to 1200 watts of energy and all must go through the power supply. If the meter were to be tuned to the magnetron (microwave frequency) frequency then it would have a whole new reading. What you're measuring is the power supply at 60hz which is way below the gigahertz region.
If you really wanted to measure a high magnetic flux measure the air conditioner, especially when it turns on. The alternator on your tow vehicle is usually rated at 120amps! That's about 1500 watts! Try tuning an AM radio next to your alternator, it'll blank it out with electromagnetic noise.
The water on this planet was brought to the earth on comets and was exposed to stronger fields generated by the sun. So the electromagnetic damage has already been done to our water. The only reason we're not exposed to as much radiation from the sun anymore is because we have a shield called the ionosphere around the earth that protects is.
If you like using your microwave use it! We do.
We use our camper not only for camping but as an alternative to a hotel, and don't get me started on that. Happy camping!
Old 05-22-2014, 03:55 PM   #33

Name: Betty
Trailer: 2009 Liberty Deluxe Casita
Arkansas
Hi,
Could be. But does not addresss the other things I have seen about microwaving food.
I prefer to err on the side of caution. I don't really see that much convenience for my part. Plus I really like the additional storage. That far out weighs the convenience of zapping my food.
Seems I did hear something unfavorable about Snopes too at one time.
But, to each their own. It is a personal choice.
Just thought I would share what I had seen.
Betty L.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:03 PM   #34

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty L. View Post
Many prefer the convenience of one. I'd much prefer the storage.
Microwaving is said to change the nature of the proteins, making them indigestible. Blood tests showed that after eating nuked food, the level of white blood cells rose, as if fighting an infection.
On line there were pics of identical plants watered one with tap water, and another with nuked water. After the a while, the difference in the plants became very apparent. The nuke plant did not look too well.
I do not own a microwave. Got rid of it years ago. Except, there is one in the last Casita I just bought. Thankfully it is not permanently mounted.
Betty L.
I guess you have to be careful what you feed some little pansies...
Attached Thumbnails
thYCSP6V45.jpg   little-shop-of-horrors-image.jpg  

Old 05-22-2014, 04:21 PM   #35

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I hope you don't eat apples.
One of the naturally occurring chemicals in apples is acetone. Same stuff that's in nail polish remover.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #36

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I like this graphic. It shows where microwave ovens fit in the spectrum of radiation. Way below infrared.
Attached Thumbnails
Clipboard01.jpg   Clipboard02.jpg  

Old 05-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #37

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Time for me to confess that the real reason I don't have a microwave in my trailer is that the first-ever-microwave and gen-you-wine Original Raytheon Radarange I bought at a garage sale simply won't fit.

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:52 PM   #38

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Time for me to confess that the real reason I don't have a microwave in my trailer is that the first-ever-microwave and gen-you-wine Original Raytheon Radarange I bought at a garage sale simply won't fit.

Let me know if you're selling it. I think it'll fit in my teardrop.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 05-22-2014, 07:23 PM   #39

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Cari & I haven't used a microwave regularly in nearly 20 years.
Our full time rig (5th wheel) came with a nice (BIG) convection/conventional/microwave. We use the non-microwave part of it daily. Beyond any possible health benefits from simply warming/cooking in a conventional way, we just like the way food tastes old school.

When we ordered our Parkliner we had Chandler leave out the microwave. It takes about ~1.5 minutes to make tea-temp water on the stove in a 1 qt kettle, and when we cook it is sort of a team-effort-zen time thingy

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:54 PM   #40

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot 13'
Oregon
Registry
If I had a trailer that came with a microwave I would seriously consider removing it and using the space for storage. I don't even have one at home why would I want one while camping. I used to have one and decided it took up too much valuable space in my small house and I know how to use a stove.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:08 AM   #41

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
What I have learned from this thread.
People who have microwaves and use them, do.
People who don't have microwaves, don't.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:09 AM   #42

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
The past 4 or 5 years we've done quite a bit of traveling in our trailer. I think we've averaged around 135 nights per year. Out of those 135 nights were camped in places with electricity about 3 nights per year. That would be a maximum of 15 nights total with electricity. So far this year the number of nights with electricity is 0 out of about 75 nights so far. 120 volt appliances just don't make sense to us. Thinking back on those times we had electricity I doubt we would have used a microwave at anytime.

Interesting thought, I've been accused of eating backpacking food(I assume freeze dried was what was meant by "backpacking food", yuck). Well I've probably eaten as well while backpacking and while trailing as many do at home. Stuff that sold to heat in your microwave heat just as well in a skillet on the stove.

Tags
microwave