Do You Use Your Microwave? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Do You Use Microwave (in FGRV)?
Yes 47 50.00%
No 17 18.09%
Don't have one, it's broken, infrequently, etc 30 31.91%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2014, 06:59 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Do You Use Your Microwave?

Scroll to top of page if poll isn't displayed.

I'm thinking I won't use it much. I also did a little research on the microwave in the Parkliner and the last 4 reviews on Walmart for the microwave are all 1/5. Seems to quit working after a few months.

What are some ideas for the space? It has a light (dc) and power (ac), so it's more important than just storage.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:05 AM   #2

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
All I've done so far is replace the one that fell on the way home. Added better bracing too. But it's an awfully small space Huck. Usually all I use a microwave for is heating up my cold coffee, and making popcorn. I'll be interested in replies!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:25 AM   #3

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I've probably used my microwave 5 or 6 times in a year and a half. I'm thinking of pulling it out and putting a similar sized convection oven in its place so I could make a small loaf of fresh bread or biscuits/muffins etc. I had bariatric surgery a year and a half ago and eat a fraction of what I used to. But nothing like the smell of fresh baked goods in the morning lol.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I can't see ever wanting a microwave in a trailer, as being off grid most of the time, it would be quite useless. We use the space where one could go for food storage.

Even at home, it mostly heats things up, things that could be heated on a stove if needed.

Even though we have one at home, we never feel like we are missing it when in our trailer.

I MUCH prefer stovetop popcorn, though camping do ours over the campfire.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We use our microwave frequently . Heating water for washing dishes , thawing and heating food , reheating coffee ,popcorn , storage while traveling (bread- buns) ETC. Our old Scamp (1999) had the original microwave and it still worked after 14 years on the road . Usage has a lot to do with your lifestyle IMHO. If you don't use one at home ,you probably wouldn't use it on the road. We usually camp with electricity and my wife likes the microwave so having a microwave was NOT an option, Bought the microwave for our new Casita for $50 and after 1 year we have not encountered any problems . We use the microwave more than we use the cook top
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:21 AM   #6

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I am debating removing mine. I could set using it to reheat coffee for guests. I don't drink it myself, or for a quick meal with less cleanup. To make it work while boondocking means installing a bigger inverter, heavier cables which may not fit as my battery space is very tight. I find myself thinking I would prefer the space.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 13
California
We dont use a microwave and rarely do at home. We do use our new wave oven and use a small one in the trailer. Nothing like hot biscuts and bacon in the morning with no mess inside the trailer.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:35 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Reheating coffee is causing my stomach to convulse.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:41 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Bad Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Reheating coffee is causing my stomach to convulse.
I agree reheated coffee is not very appetizing but me being "CHEAP" and at the price of coffee lately, I suffer through the pain ! I like my coffee "HOT" and the coffee coming out of a modern coffee maker is lukewarm to me ( Some blame the McDonald's lawsuit for the lowering of the temp) I take a cup of fresh coffee right from the carafe and put it in the microwave for 45 seconds to warm it up.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:49 AM   #10

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
It really is a personal preference and as Steve said, if you don't use one at home, you probably wont miss it. For us, it's a great convenience and was one of the first things we added to our new trailer.

I was actually surprised on how many people didn't seem to use or need theirs. I understand if you primarily camp without AC but we use ours regularly. For us its well worth the space it occupies even in a small trailer.
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:52 AM   #11

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
We have a small one set up on the counter in our Scamp 16, and yes we use it. Particularly when my daughter starts in with “I’m hungry Daddy”. I say “go nuke yourself a weenie, mac-n-cheese, Ramen noodles, etc. and leave me alone”. O.K., I don’t really say the leave me alone part but I am thinking it.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:46 PM   #12

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Microwave cuisine is my specialty at home, so I am half way to putting a $40 700W microwave in my sons 1978 Trillium 4500. I am still looking for a cheep 1000 W inverter. The last one I got for $35. With 120 W of solar, I figure he can get about 1/2 hour of microwave a day out of that. Enough for a couple frozen burritos, and a magic bag for bed. The microwave will hang above the sink.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #13

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Have a small one with the dials instead of digital. Use it to microwave homemade frozen breakfast burritos, and other similar items before hitting the road.

Like to have it to reheat leftovers from an earlier meal, or left overs from a restaurant. It is pretty small and we still have room left for storage around it and on top. terry r.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #14

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Do You Use Your Microwave?

We use ours for lunch and dinner. We heat up frozen vegetables and canned foods for our side dishes. We also use a small crock pot and either freeze or refrigerate the extra chicken for use with other recipes.
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #15

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
We get everything done with the two burner stove top, but are also not traveling with the trailer for more than 3 weeks at a time so far.

No coffee maker, either - with just one coffee drinker among us that gets done with boiling water and the single-serving cone filter thingie.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:40 PM   #16

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
We get everything done with the two burner stove top, but are also not traveling with the trailer for more than 3 weeks at a time so far.

No coffee maker, either - with just one coffee drinker among us that gets done with boiling water and the single-serving cone filter thingie.
Same for us...and may I add: WHEW!
Nice to find that there are still some folks out there besides me that camp when they're camping...
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:59 PM   #17

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
I don't use my the microwave real often,but I do use it heat left overs(from the last evening campfire meal) for a quick hot lunch....grand-kids use it for popcorn. On the other hand I have never used my oven....and have only used my stove once or twice. IF i removed any of them it would be the oven,because I just don't bake ( except in dutch oven) while out camping.My grand-kids are old enough to use the microwave to make their on snacks.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:14 AM   #18

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I took my stove/oven out of my trailer as I cook outside on the camp stove. In it's place I put a silverware drawer and a small microwave. I heat up leftovers, defrost the dogs food when I forget to take it out of the freezer and make breakfast burritos.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:10 AM   #19

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We use ours almost every meal. It came with the camper and is one of the Sharp's that fits into the closet. Hubby makes meat outside; microwave makes veggies inside. We brew coffee in our pot that sits on the stove we never use (Hubby suggested taking it out, but you never know. We just have lucked out camping and not had rainy days on end yet.) We even bring our rapid tea pot to make tea from leaves.

Yes, I am a glamper.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:37 AM   #20

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Space

We had a microwave in our motorhome and used it more like we used the one at home, to heat leftovers. When we downsized to small trailers, though they all came with a microwave, we removed the microwave. It uses space and is heavy and requires real power. We regressed to heating leftovers on our stove top which works just fine and for many foods heats leftovers even better than a microwave.

On the road for 7 months a year the microwave, for us, is not a justifiable use of space.

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave