Do your pets and kids scale down too? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2007, 08:59 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
As I trip over yet another stuffed toy (The "Big mean Kitty") and count my blessing that I fall on "Mr. Squirrel" to cushion the impact.. I wonder why...

In the house, my hooligans have to have 20 toys spread out all over the place, but in the trailer, they each have 2 toys each..and are happy with just 1. I try to clean up the 20 toys here, they go and get them all out again.. it's an endless battle.

Do pets associate the less space in the trailer with scaled down possessions and activity? And don't seem to care? Do they naturally adjust?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:06 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If this is happening---I would blame poor parenting
Old 10-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
As I trip over yet another stuffed toy (The "Big mean Kitty") and count my blessing that I fall on "Mr. Squirrel" to cushion the impact.. I wonder why...

In the house, my hooligans have to have 20 toys spread out all over the place, but in the trailer, they each have 2 toys each..and are happy with just 1. I try to clean up the 20 toys here, they go and get them all out again.. it's an endless battle.

Do pets associate the less space in the trailer with scaled down possessions and activity? And don't seem to care? Do they naturally adjust?
dont put any in the trailor and see how many they pack on your next outing. if they dont put them away keep them .
brad young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
If this is happening---I would blame poor parenting
I've raised a lot of kids and my experiance is that parental time and toy needs are inversely proportional. When they have your time and attention, why would they want to play with a toy?
Laura K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:27 PM   #5

Registry
my children are...

Beagles.

They don't pack very well. (Excuse the pun!)
Old 10-08-2007, 09:27 PM   #6

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:

Oh Gina how funny ...........mine only have 3 toys at home that they play with sometimes ,but want out all the time .............and at least 5 or maybe 6 in the camper....AT home they have a * Doggie Door * and in the camper have to be walked on their leach. At home they don't like to go outside but when camping want out all the time. Of course mine are just a little bit smaller 2 Chihuahua girls one 4 almost 5 years old and the new one that just turned 1year. The older one mostly just likes to lay around under the covers at home never barks or talks (growls) when she plays. The little one plays all the time is very active ,doesn't bark very often ...but growls ALL the time when she plays. What fun our furry kids are!! Always something new and differnt no matter what........... Do they naturally adjust or do We ,now that is the real question.
Lynn
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Yes I scaled down my camping dog from two that weigh two hundred lbs total to one that weighs 45.

I guess that not what you meant?
Old 10-08-2007, 10:09 PM   #8

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I'd say mine scale down. They don't need toys when we are using the trailer because they can sit outside and watch what is going on around them, and it is so much more interesting.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:10 AM   #9

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
A few toys at home, scattered all over, usually. In the trailer, no toys. She likes to be tethered outside the trailer whether it is daylight or dark. I believe she has us confined and assumes she is supposed to guard us. Inside she adjusts well to no toys but tends to take up the space meant for our feet (under the table).
Attached Thumbnails
New_table_with_Maja.jpg  
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:31 AM   #10
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Have a basket full of toys at home -- mostly with broken squeakers. A couple have survived and they are usually on the top. They get scattered at times when he feels the need or gets bored. I usually take a toy or two when camping, but he is so busy while we are gone that he has no interest in them. So, yes, we definitely pare down when camping. I think he sees himself as "working" while I'm camping and doesn't have the time for "play."
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:53 AM   #11

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
Pretty much works that way for us, too. I have two girls, a littlun and a biggun. They have a couple of toy boxes at home, which are mostly the bailiwick of the littlun. Biggun has a dolly she sometimes carries around but isn't really much of a toy-dog. When we travel I take two or three small toys for littlun and she seems happy with that. Mostly they want to walk around with me, explore, and roll in interesting stuff.
Robert Brummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:05 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
I started out with no stuffies or bones in the trailer - however, I noticed on this last trip that 'teenage mutant ninja turtle' stuffie had found it's way to the trailer - the hounds are getting sneakier about getting their toys out of the house
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:32 AM   #13

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
My springer has no toys at home, other than a chew bone, yet she seems perfectly happy.* She swims, she wrestles with me, she runs, she hunts - what toy can compare with that?

When egg camping, though, I always bring a few tennis balls and a thrower than can zip a ball out almost 100 yards. It's a great way to give the dog a workout in a short time, at hiway rest stops or in the CG early mornings when most folks are sleeping.

Come to think of it, growing up during WWII, I had very few toys myself, and mostly home-made ones. Didn't matter, really - I played with what I had and used my imagination to make up the difference. Personally, when I see kids today surrounded by hundreds of toys, it makes me feel sorry for them. A kid's imagination is better at creating playthings than a Chinese factory - and safer, too!
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:30 PM   #14

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
Jack, you are dead on. I guess we are of the same, or close, generations. I remember what could be done with an pile of carpenter's "cut offs" and rejects. Wow! I see some of the same native ingenuity with my dogs and their sticks and pine cones.
Robert Brummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:57 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler 1984
Charlie our previous JR liked nothing better than a good frisbee. he'd chase until YOU got tired then ask for more. Was also a good way to meet others as he always attracted people who wanted to throw for him. Holly our present JR only wants to examine the other side of the bushes and chase squirrels. She's always at the far end of her least or tether. We do take a couple of toys but she could care less if there's a tree or bush to check out.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #16

Registry
well, mine are sissy California dogs.. and if it rains, they won't go out. I am happy to have them in the mansion and dry, they treat it just like home. They like thier toys inside.. they don't take them outside, even at home.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:43 PM   #17

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1974
Lots of toys for the new puppy. All the wrappers said "irresistible to puppies" ..... WRONG!

Socks, moccasins, old sneakers THEY are irresistible!!

She has yet to go in the trailer but usually if we the "masters" (ha, ha) have time with her she has no interest in chew toys because she is chewing our fingers!
Ian R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:56 PM   #18

Trailer: 1987 13 ft Casita
It's funny, the toys I have in the camper are decor! I'm calling it the Moon Doggie Lodge, so I have a stuffed moon, a star and a neat felted wool bone in bright orange.

Phoebe is too tired to play with them from all the running around she does outside. The camper is for sleeping, she says. I'm usually pushing her off the majority of my bed so I have some room.
Paula Bindrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:37 PM   #19

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Jobi has a ton of toys at home and she drags them all out and leaves them all over the living room floor and hall and my bedroom--even IN my bed. At least a few times a week I get tired of picking them up and I tell her, "Jobi, by the time I get home I want all your toys put away." It's never happened. The first couple times we camped with Jobi I brought her toys and she never touched them--not even her bone. Now I don't bother.
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:37 PM   #20

Registry
Sticky thinks Jobi has a FINE collection of toys.

He now uses the "But JOBI has one!" line on me when he thinks he needs something new..